Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Main in 7.2.5 ToS?

I have been a rogue for a while now. I want to change to a new class to have new adventures in raids. Out of Ele Shaman and MM/BM Hunter witch is a good choice? As i know mage and warlocks are strong, i dont like warlock and mage is sorta "mehh". I have mained hunter for 8 years (but they changed it to much) and Shaman is my favorite class. So out of thoes two, who whould be the most fun/rewarding to bring to heroic raids and 15+ m+? I am a semi casual player, i strive to be the best casual raider i can be and usualy top 3 dps in my guild with any class i choose. I like to have fun with my class as i tend to do good with a class/spec if its fun.

Semi casual you will be fine with which ever you enjoy the most as it really doesn't matter to muchto casual or even semi casual guilds. That being said if you want to be the most useful right now as things stand in the glass bubble that is this moment in time hunter is in a better place then Shaman and Lock better then either of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ele is a lot of fun and is pretty good in M+ and heroic raids. Just be warned if your guild ever goes Mythic you will probably be benched.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    Ele is a lot of fun and is pretty good in M+ and heroic raids. Just be warned if your guild ever goes Mythic you will probably be benched.
    Is there something inherently wrong with the spec that makes it bad for mythics? Or is it just tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by frychikn View Post
    Is there something inherently wrong with the spec that makes it bad for mythics? Or is it just tuning?
    It's just tuning. We are good for aoe fights and have good burst but our sustained single target is behind. You aren't getting benched in a casual guild that does a couple mythic bosses. If you try going more hardcore you could be but that's a bit different than you described.

If your guild is casual, you probably won't get benched for playing either shaman dps spec.

I find both ele and enh to be really fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by korlach View Post
    It's just tuning. We are good for aoe fights and have good burst but our sustained single target is behind. You aren't getting benched in a casual guild that does a couple mythic bosses. If you try going more hardcore you could be but that's a bit different than you described.
    Ya i'm not hardcore by any stretch, but what i've taken from just reading things is shaman DPS hasn't been used for progression/hardcore guilds like ever?

I would go only MM hunter. It's going to be strong for ToS and I personally always liked the long range pew pew type of gameplay.

But, please just play a bit around with the choices you mentioned, and pick one without overthinking. When you pick it, stick with it for at least 1 month so you can say that you actually mained it for a little bit at least.

I cringed when I read someone replied with "just tuning". Numbers don't matter that much, ele is decent enough for keeping up, even in a top ~2-300 guild. Besides numbers are always always subject to change. Elemental suffers because we excel at nothing and everything else we do is mediocre; mechanically speaking. Ele's ST suffers tremendously from movement as we have no instants to bank properly. Elemental has a lot of rng which means dmg cannot be focused onto priority targets. Our cleave has a 10% chance to do a lot of dmg, otherwise rather little. EQ's scaling was removed so our aoe is gonna become worse as everyone gets higher gear. We cannot immune mechanics, we cannot soak most mechanics, we got a delay on our stun, our interrupt is 30yards (albeit low cd but melees usually do that), mages bring TW. Everything elemental can do is subpar, another class/spec will perform better. That's why nobody wants an elemental shaman for mythic raiding. Yes, you can raid mythic as elemental just fine, but you'd always be better off playing something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihiel View Post
    I cringed when I read someone replied with "just tuning". Numbers don't matter that much, ele is decent enough for keeping up, even in a top ~2-300 guild. Besides numbers are always always subject to change. Elemental suffers because we excel at nothing and everything else we do is mediocre; mechanically speaking. Ele's ST suffers tremendously from movement as we have no instants to bank properly. Elemental has a lot of rng which means dmg cannot be focused onto priority targets. Our cleave has a 10% chance to do a lot of dmg, otherwise rather little. EQ's scaling was removed so our aoe is gonna become worse as everyone gets higher gear. We cannot immune mechanics, we cannot soak most mechanics, we got a delay on our stun, our interrupt is 30yards (albeit low cd but melees usually do that), mages bring TW. Everything elemental can do is subpar, another class/spec will perform better. That's why nobody wants an elemental shaman for mythic raiding. Yes, you can raid mythic as elemental just fine, but you'd always be better off playing something else.
    ouch. does the same basically apply to enhancement compared to other melees?

Ele is shit at ST, great at aoe/cleave. Unfortunately the devs are tone deaf towards issues that the ele community has brought to their attention. I'd highly suggest that you go the hunter route if you want to play ranged.

Or just to mage, because they will always be catered to and favored by the devs.

Holy shit there's a lot of bitching in this thread.

Ele Shaman is a solid pick if you want to do H NH and M+. The spec is super fun to play and imo has the best spell effects of any ranged spec. You will do absolutely fine in a casual guild and won't get turned down for heroic raids.

Contrary to some crybabies, Ele DOES excel in M+ and is generally regarded as one of the best choices up until the very highest keys (24+). The reason for this is because they do tremendous amounts of damage against packs of mobs and also have tons of utility including an aoe stun, a ranged pummel, an aoe snare for kiting, emergency knockback, hex, and heroism. I would absolutely take an Ele over any Mage for M+ unless it's the very highest keys, where the Mage's higher survivability starts becoming more important.

Ele does amazing in council and all sorts of aoe fights during raiding. Yes, their ST is bad, and yes, their survivability isn't up there with the Mage, so if you were pushing Mythic progression I wouldn't recommend it. But you said you're casual and looking for heroic raids and M+, which Ele is great at.

Quote Originally Posted by Delandel View Post
    Holy shit there's a lot of bitching in this thread...
    ... Contrary to some crybabies, Ele DOES excel in M+...
    Get a fucking grip lol. You call people crybabies for stating the obvious? The OP asked how ele is doing, we're stating HOW ELEMENTAL IS ACTUALLY DOING.
    I personally said elemental is fine for playing anything in the game, as is any class and spec, but when the OP asks for what ele does and doesn't do well this is what he should be told.

I don't do much m+ myself, but yes elemental is very very good for dungeons. It took a hit with the EQ nerf as we'd usually like using sephuz and getting haste for more CLs and more EQ ticks which in turn would proc more SS and more stuns for even more utility. The nerf means haste is next to useless, and ele lost a lot of power. It's still good though. If you're mainly gonna do m+ then elemental is an awesome choice.

Ele does not do amazingly well on council fights. Besides there are no council fights in Tomb, so it isn't worth considering either. We're good at cleave cheesing fights like Tichondrius and Spellblade if for some reason you can get everyone else in the raid to stop their dps and let you kill them on your own. Our burst aoe (5 target cleave to be precise) CAN be a fuckton of dmg if you get your 10 % Static Overload procs 3 times in a row, but what are the odds of getting a 10 % proc chance to proc 3 times in a row lol? Otherwise meh. EQ was destroyed, no haste scaling reduced our aoe by sooo much it is blasphemy to say elemental excels at aoe in a raid setting now.

Anyways, I'll state what I did before: All the things I've said means elemental could be a lot better and certainly is lacklustre in many cases, but elemental is just fine for any type of raiding and very good for m+. Play it if you want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya i'm not hardcore by any stretch, but what i've taken from just reading things is shaman DPS hasn't been used for progression/hardcore guilds like ever?
    You read wrong. You're fine in progression guilds as ele. Don't even worry about what hardcore guilds do since you're not hardcore. Here's what people do. They look and see that Method didn't bring their class, so even though they're not hardcore, they still won't play a class because a top world guild doesn't bring them. You don't need to ask people what to play. You can try classes out now.

And legion is a terrible expac to swap mains in. If anything changing mains would get you benched since you have the AP grind and concordance, etc.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

I've played Ele shaman for most of the expansion and I can say that it feels really good as someone who was always a melee main in the past.

Deleted
    Cayna has mained an Enhancement in Methods raid team for the last 6 years I believe. It looks particularly solid class at the moment, currently too 5 in mythic NH farm runs. Obviously that's all a bit up in the air still but the buffs have worked nicely

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JMpal View Post
    Cayna has mained an Enhancement in Methods raid team for the last 6 years I believe. It looks particularly solid class at the moment, currently too 5 in mythic NH farm runs. Obviously that's all a bit up in the air still but the buffs have worked nicely
    And Cayna wasn't playing Enh during the race. Any Shamans you would see on first kills were resto.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

nope there has never really been a good reason to bring a shaman dps, paragon claimed endless world firsts without any shamans at all, their LK 25 hc kill was with a resto shaman, guess why? mages didn't have time warp yet.

only time paragon brought in a dps shaman was to aoe cho'galls adds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    And Cayna wasn't playing Enh during the race. Any Shamans you would see on first kills were resto.
    It won't let me post links, but Cayna played Enh on Helya world first kill and From Scratch the world 4th mythic Gul'dan had an Enhancement.

Deleted
    Dont forget to mention that Ele shammy has the worst T20 set of all the classes in the entire game, its uninspired boring and straight up bad.