Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

A selective focus on human rights.

From the CNN article. By CNN's White House Producer and CNN's Politic's Producer.
    'When President Donald Trump traveled to Saudi Arabia last month he danced with a sword and sipped coffee with a king, but made no mention of the country's political oppression or beheadings.'

Full CNN article below.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/17/politi...uba/index.html

Deleted
    He is also not taking much care about free press, so.. this is not his worst thing.

Human rights as a concept are a laughing stock. I don't understand why people pay so much attention to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Human rights as a concept are a laughing stock. I don't understand why people pay so much attention to it.
    Pretty strange that people being denied life and liberty is humorous for you.

The US is really in no position to comment on human rights considering the US supported people like Pinochet and Saddam on top of all the overthrowing of democratically elected leaders we did, like in Iran and Haiti.

Which is part of why the UN is so ineffective, if some 3rd world country did all the shit the US did they'd be sanctioned into the fucking ground, but since the US is the world's only super power it gets away with murder(literally in some cases).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Ask for her location

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    How do you plan to enforce it if the leaders of a country says no? Go to war against the country?

How do you plan to enforce it if the leaders of a country says no? Go to war against the country?
    Plenty of ways to apply pressure to folks who do wrong outside of war.

This is a simple google search question.

Human rights is an issue for a lot of countries.
    But if you've nothing that's worth trade then such an issue isn't worth media coverage.

Trump was a big fan of Saudi Arabia. No protests.

Well the idea is that it will inspire the citizens of the country to rise up and pressure their leaders into giving them more freedoms. Of course, if you have a country full of people who think human rights are just Western propaganda and are perfectly happy being abused, then it won't really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Well the idea is that it will inspire the citizens of the country to rise up and pressure their leaders into giving them more freedoms. Of course, if you have a country full of people who think human rights are just Western propaganda and are perfectly happy being abused, then it won't really work.
    Say hello to North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Ask for her location
    Solid question right there. Over 1000 posts in one month and is advocating against human rights. Seems suspect.

Deleted
    I liked it when he did a sword dance with the people that did 9/11.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    From the CNN article. By CNN's White House Producer and CNN's Politic's Producer.
    'When President Donald Trump traveled to Saudi Arabia last month he danced with a sword and sipped coffee with a king, but made no mention of the country's political oppression or beheadings.'

Full CNN article below.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/17/politi...uba/index.html
    Human Rights are only used as a cudgel against a political enemies. If your the right country with the right allies you can keep slaves and nobody cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Plenty of ways to apply pressure to folks who do wrong outside of war.

This is a simple google search question.
    Go ahead, tell me how you would do it. Most of the east and southeast asian nations do not respect human rights to the degree the west does. Same with middle eastern nations, african and south asian nations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    People in singapore aren't being abused nor do we believe it to be western propaganda, we just reject it.

CNN producing an article of "Do as I say, not as I do"? Shocking development.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    CNN producing an article of "Do as I say, not as I do"? Shocking development.
    Leftist eat that shit up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Go ahead, tell me how you would do it. Most of the east and southeast asian nations do not respect human rights to the degree the west does. Same with middle eastern nations, african and south asian nations.
    There is nothing to be proud about breach of human rights but I guess that's the luxury of countries where a human life is actually worth something and not subject of discrimination because of origin, race, gender, sex and belief. Just because they are literally ignored in parts it doesn't invalidate human rights as such.

People in singapore aren't being abused nor do we believe it to be western propaganda, we just reject it.
    You just use Western ideas, concepts and goods when they suit you.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    There is nothing to be proud about breach of human rights but I guess that's the luxury of countries where a human life is actually worth something and not subject of discrimination because of origin, race, gender, sex and belief. Just because they are literally ignored in parts it doesn't invalidate human rights as such.
    You can't legally discriminate because of those things here. If you make hateful speech about people on the basis of their race, origin or religion or such, you can be punished. Just because we do not buy into the concept of human rights doesn't mean we don't protect people.

What do you think singapore is? Some uncivilized society where you're free to beat black people without any repercussions just because we do not think human rights is a good idea? Where you can treat women like shit for being women? Where you can just walk around insulting and speaking bad about religions? You don't seem to know much about what life is like here at all. It's far better than living in the US, where you're free to talk bad about religion, where you're free to attack people verbally on the basis of their religious beliefs or race, ethnicity or other things related to their identity, causing a lot of social friction by doing so and it being allowed. To claim that we're the bad ones for not respecting human rights when USA allow these things under the guise of free speech is nothing but laughable.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-19 at 08:15 AM.