Thread: ELO reset

10+ Year Old Account

ELO reset

So I'm pretty frustrated in comp right now. Giving around 1750 ATM, and hate life.
    In season 1 I ranked 48 on day one (and stayed there in the couple weeks I played after placements)
    Season 2 I hit 2170 and barely played after placements.
    Season 3 I played one placement
    Season four I didn't play at all.
    Main reason for my gap is I was in nursing school, and time was somewhat scarce.

The point of this thread:
    Would anyone else like an ELO reset?
    The ability for me to re-place and get a current picture of skill that hasn't been affected by 8 months of absense appeals to me quite a bit.

I get you hate where you are, but if you keep playing you'll get to where you are supposed to be.

An ELO reset would be painful for everyone.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    The system already has a "confidence" system in place. If you go a long time without playing, it becomes less "confident" of where you should be ranked, and your rank gains (or losses) will be more affected by your performance. If you're significantly above or below where the system thinks you should be ranked, based on your performance history, your rank adjustments will push you towards that point.

If your performance says you should be 500 points above where you currently are, you'll be winning significantly more on wins than you do on losses. I've finally stabilized around the 2500 mark this season (been distracted with low-grav shenanigans this week), but I started about 500 points lower. At that lower rank, I was gaining 40-50 SR per win and only losing 15-20 per loss. Where I'm at now, it's 20-30 each, mostly right around 25.

Just like Kudos said. The more you play and learn from your mistakes, the more you will improve in the next games.

Deleted
    No i wouldn't want that, I already hate doing the shitty placement matches every season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I get you hate where you are, but if you keep playing you'll get to where you are supposed to be.

An ELO reset would be painful for everyone.
    Suppose that's the biggest aspect of my issue.
    All my friends are about 1100 rating ahead of me now so I can't even play with them. Solo queuing is hit or miss to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The system already has a "confidence" system in place. If you go a long time without playing, it becomes less "confident" of where you should be ranked, and your rank gains (or losses) will be more affected by your performance. If you're significantly above or below where the system thinks you should be ranked, based on your performance history, your rank adjustments will push you towards that point.

If your performance says you should be 500 points above where you currently are, you'll be winning significantly more on wins than you do on losses. I've finally stabilized around the 2500 mark this season (been distracted with low-grav shenanigans this week), but I started about 500 points lower. At that lower rank, I was gaining 40-50 SR per win and only losing 15-20 per loss. Where I'm at now, it's 20-30 each, mostly right around 25.
    That gives me hope. I gain 35-50sr for each win, and ~20 when I lose.
    Guess the subtext here is that I hate solo-queuing

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    Suppose that's the biggest aspect of my issue.
    All my friends are about 1100 rating ahead of me now so I can't even play with them. Solo queuing is hit or miss to say the least.
    One thing you could do is asking your friends to make Smurf accounts. :P This way they would be able to help you climb back up until you're able to play with their mains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A-sayo View Post
    One thing you could do is asking your friends to make Smurf accounts. :P This way they would be able to help you climb back up until you're able to play with their mains.
    A couple of them have smurfs. I'll press them to use them more until I can catch up.
    I'm also pretty much the only one who solo-queues (they're fairly adamant about not doing it)

If you want a high rank you just need two things:

1. Many gold medals in Ranking matches (win/loss doesnt matter, just farm medals and shit on any objective, because you will get focused, playing the objective)

2. A lot of time. If you have a winrate around 60% and gain ~25 rating a win each game is worth 15 rating. So if you want to go up by 150 rating you need around 10 games, whats like 2-3 hours.

Got some tests with some accounts (not mine, but of friends) by now. Focusing on the objective makes you only win like 5 or 10 percent more games. That's not worth losing gold medals what gives you around 20% more increase in rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    It's not always as easy as that. I gain 40 for my wins and lose 20 for my losses which indicate that I'm not where I should be, but the losses outnumber the wins by a huge margin so I keep dropping, it's really mostly out of your control when you solo queue.
    Same here. Shit thing is, most games we either stomp the enemy, or get stomped. Not that funny...

I placed in gold (2200) last season and worked all the way up to diamond. I placed in low diamond this season and am now sitting in masters (about 3800). It takes time to get MMR, and can be frustrating at times. Placement matches are already a waste of time, as it just takes your MMR from last season anyway and builds on that.

The only thing that I can attest for is the lower MMR games do have more players that just give up, but that's equal on both teams and just getting troll games is something that's just going to happen. If you're playing 100s of games and still where you are then that's where you'll be regardless of an ELO reset. Regardless, the soft reset they give each season should give everyone a chance to start over somewhat.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ELO is fine, don't tilt and focus on improving yourself instead of your rank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    It's not always as easy as that. I gain 40 for my wins and lose 20 for my losses which indicate that I'm not where I should be, but the losses outnumber the wins by a huge margin so I keep dropping, it's really mostly out of your control when you solo queue.
    Maybe my friends just suck but I have my best results as solo queue. Try to lead the team without coming off like a control freak and stay positive. If you tilt you've already lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    So I'm pretty frustrated in comp right now. Giving around 1750 ATM, and hate life.
    In season 1 I ranked 48 on day one (and stayed there in the couple weeks I played after placements)
    Season 2 I hit 2170 and barely played after placements.
    Season 3 I played one placement
    Season four I didn't play at all.
    Main reason for my gap is I was in nursing school, and time was somewhat scarce.

The point of this thread:
    Would anyone else like an ELO reset?
    The ability for me to re-place and get a current picture of skill that hasn't been affected by 8 months of absense appeals to me quite a bit.
    Also, you shouldn't hate life over a 420 point gap. Firstly, you will place below your MMR at the start of the season and be given a boost if you win your first few games. Secondly, I've gone on 200pt swings in a day - both up and down. Before the change to win streaks that point range was even higher - a 420pt swing prepatch would have been pretty common.

The way they place you lower than your MMR is in a way, like an "ELO check" - you get placed lower and are expected to win - if you do you get massive rank - if you don't win after a few games you are where you belong.

In the long run, you get what you deserve. If you "hate life" over dropping rank you are probably tilting or being toxic to your team. If you really care about improving watch pro streamers and tournaments, spend time in the practice range, stop after 2 losses in comp, and above all keep a positive mindset!
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2017-07-13 at 03:30 PM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.