Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account

2 Tank KJ - dealing with Felclaw

Hi,

i hope, someone in here can help me (or more specific the raid i'm in and our tanks) to figure out how to deal with the Felclaw mechanic from KJ when 2 tanking him.
    I don't want to talk about the raid overall, as it was shitty, chaotic and embarrasing but .... well, it is what it is.
    But what confused me the most is the fact, that our tanks died instantly when they got to tank more than 4+ stacks of Felclaws and i don't know, what they are doing wrong because i don't play a paladin or a demon hunter.
    So i would really appreciate if someone could look into our logs and tell me, what they are doing wrong.
    In the kill on the second night, i wasn't in the raid because i had to do something in rl but as you can see, they 3 tanked KJ.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...iew=analytical
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...iew=analytical

Thanks in advance.

(Or would it be better to ask in both class forums?)

edit: I'm sorry. I thought we had like 2-3 trys with 2 tanks and then swapped to 3 tanks but i was just 1 try. But still, our tanks got hit really hard, even after 3 tanking KJ. So they must be still doing something (major) wrong.
    Last edited by DDM; 2017-06-23 at 07:12 AM.
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 Rev.B|ASRock Z97 Extreme4|i7-4790K|HR-02 Macho|G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB|Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64|250GB+64GB+1TB SSD|4TB HDD|Seasonic Ultra Prime Gold 1000W|Corsair Scimitar Pro+Razer Sphex|Logitech G910+|LG 34UC88-B|2x iiyama Prolite XUB2792QSU-B1|Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro+AntLion ModMic 4|Thrustmaster T500RS+TH8A

The OT should be taunting the second they hit 4 stacks. At 4 stacks you're taking 80% extra damage and going to get trucked if keep tanking him outside of some major cd usage.

No need to 3 tank it. Just have imunities/cd dps rotate soaking the big Armageddon and let the 2 tanks focus on the boss and switching properly.

There's no attempt to 2 tank at all, so it's hard to say what they did "wrong" when attempting to 2 tank.
    However, take the paladin as an example; here's a link showing the damage he took while not under Shield of the Righteous (his Active mitigation):
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ebuffs=-132403

I don't know what the equivalent is for the other tanks, but that's a place to start.

Deleted
    Basically you wanna deal with Felclaws by one tank getting all the stacks and the other tank taunting immediately when the buff on KJ drops.
    I didn't tank KJ as a Paladin or DH myself. I killed him with my DK and Guardian so far.
    Still I think, I can tell you what the main issue is:

The Logs you linked only contains one 2 Tank Wipe and after looking at this one:
    Your Paladin died due to not dropping Shield of the Righteous during Felclaws.
    Looking at some of the tries you played with 3 tanks it seems to me that his Shield of the Righteous usage might be the main issue.
    In addition to that it helps to have an additional CD up for Felclaws, which he didn't have.

Your DH should probably use Fracture&Spiritbomb instead of Feed the demon and Fel Devastation, but that shouldn't be too problematic.

To sum things up: Tell your tanks to be a bit more on Point with their active mitigation and their CD usage. If they dont have one for themselves they shall just ask for an external.

Most logs I've been seeing and our guild are just taking it to 5 (or whenever KJ's buff falls off in P3), then swapping.

KJ actually hits like a regular boss, even on normal, not the wimpy crap bosses have been dealing in EN/Nighthold. If Tanks are dying, definitely go defensive, there's not really any DPS in checks on the fight and heavy cooldown through stacks 2-5.

Killed him yesterday after more attempts than I had hoped (15ish). Tanking wise I could easily survive 5 stacks as a DH, I would keep my 2 Demon Spikes ready for it. Then on the 4th hit I would use my Archimondes trinket which takes almost the full hit, so Id be 100% for hit 5. Then after I got the 5th stack my offtank instantly taunted the boss. After the intermission I would start tanking again, and my trinket would be up again so its the same story. Then my offtank took it instantly after 5 stacks and he'd need an external CD since hes behind on gear. I could take the one after with Demon Spikes + fiery brand, if I would be close to dieing I could pop meta but it wasnt needed.

The main story is going to be about your tanks knowing how and when to use their defensive cooldowns. And not being afraid to call an external CD from a healer, thats what they are there for (The external, not the healers :P). Tanking wasn't really the issue in our raid, it was more about the blind phase.

Deleted
    When we did normal KJ we didnt really research too well and at first thought we had to swap tanks midway in the claws. Quickly figured out that we needed to take all 5 hits and just use cooldowns. It also really helped to call out to healers when the claws are happening - as damage is quite severe.

It the last phase I did notice I sometimes already got a stack when I had to grab the boss. I guess I was in front of him when I shouldnt during some knockbacks. But even the 6th stack isnt that big a deal with proper cooldowns and healer attention.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The boss is kinda bugged in the last phase and will spin around while he's casting other abilities and occasionally cleave the entire raid. It happened a couple times to us, but it's manageable. His ability casts will lock him out from his Felcaws for a couple seconds, especially in the last phase where there are several times where he will only apply 2-3 stacks over the duration (generally when he casts his giant AoE nuke).

There is no mystery to how the boss is to be tanked. You take it to five and have the other tank taunt as soon as you hit five stacks. You generally don't need anything for the first couple stacks, but should have some sort of plan for three through five. Felclaw isn't super long anyway so most active mitigation/defensive should cover the entire thing anyway. If you don't have something or fucked up, use a defensive CD.

Honestly the only thing I find sort of 'broken' on the fight is how hard to big meteor hits. We just had immunities soak every single one. Some tank classes are incredibly bad at soaking them, and due to the shear damage of them you might have to pop a big CD in order to soak them as a tank. Understand that I'm not calling for a nerf, it's just that it's listed a tank mechanic, which no tank (IMO) should really be trying to do. Felclaws happens frequent enough that some of the tank classes can't really afford to waste defensive CDs trying to soak them.

There are a couple bosses in there that I feel could be strong to bring a third tank, I don't think this is one of them however.

Myself and our guardian druid basically taunt when our stacks drop off, normally that results with one tank on 3 stacks, and the other on 2.

I had to swap from my Pally(896) to my GDruid for normal KJ because of this. Not being able to SotR the armageddons sucked. I was fine for awhile until my CDs ran out. Once I swapped to my gdruid (904) we killed in 2 attempts.

Our strategy was to never have both tanks have the debuff at the same time (as much as we could). He only stacks it to 5. SO we would taunt as soon as the other tank got 5 stacks, unless an armageddon was coming so the non debuffed tank could eat it. Your healers have to be constantly aware of the damage tanks take and spam heals as felclaws stacks up. You also need to keep AM up as much as possible and be liberal with CDs for the most part.

It sucked, but we got it down in about 12-13 attempts total.

Deleted
    Keep your active mitigation up and call for external if needed...

or better

Get a prot warrior.... yes really

I totally shit on the felclaws with shield block + ignore pain... sometimes, it didn't even get through my Ignore pain

Yeah in normal we had a prot war and DH tank. For the most part the prot war was getting tickled while the DH was nearly flopping over at 3 stacks ... mind you our DH normally DPS's so he's probably not geared for mitigation / hard hitting boss or using his CD's properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    Keep your active mitigation up and call for external if needed...

or better

Get a prot warrior.... yes really

I totally shit on the felclaws with shield block + ignore pain... sometimes, it didn't even get through my Ignore pain
    Funnily enough, our prot warrior got destroyed by it and our guardian druid had 0 issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Funnily enough, our prot warrior got destroyed by it and our guardian druid had 0 issues with it.
    BRM and myself (Prot Pally) tanked it. Pretty sure we were doing something wrong as we were getting crapped on. 3 Tanked it and it was really easy. Going to do some more research.

Deleted
    At one point in the fight, I somehow got to 10 stacks without even realising it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    BRM and myself (Prot Pally) tanked it. Pretty sure we were doing something wrong as we were getting crapped on. 3 Tanked it and it was really easy. Going to do some more research.
    He just does a ton of damage compared to other bosses so far in Legion.
    Our prot warrior got hit for ~7 million with a normal auto attack at one point. Better use of CD's is likely all it takes

Deleted
    He just does a ton of damage compared to other bosses so far in Legion.
    Our prot warrior got hit for ~7 million with a normal auto attack at one point. Better use of CD's is likely all it takes
    I got smacked on our first pull for 6 mil because my shield block fell off right before the hit so that's the problem.

Tell your prot warrior to go Heavy Reppercussion for max Shield block uptime and if he's at least decent at playing it, he won't have any problem

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prot pally here.
    I save all my AM for felclaws pretty much and cycle between eye of tyr and ardent defender to handle every cycle.
    My current complaint is that I can't help much with standing in big swirlies =(.

10+ Year Old Account
    as blood dk i just popped vampire everytime, and death striked if an autoattack hit me
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    I got smacked on our first pull for 6 mil because my shield block fell off right before the hit so that's the problem.

Tell your prot warrior to go Heavy Reppercussion for max Shield block uptime and if he's at least decent at playing it, he won't have any problem
    Yeah, will do.