Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    There was no reason for a police officer to shoot an unarmed man.

The only reason brown died was because he was 6'4" at 250 pounds. If he were 5'2 and 110 pounds he'd still be alive.
    Is it comforting to be so naive?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I wonder you included white people in your Thug definition.
    It's not my definition. "Thug: a violent person, especially a criminal.". Adding adjectives relating to someone's appearance doesn't make any changes to that definition. A black criminal is a thug. A white criminal is a thug. An asian criminal is a thug. A latino criminal is a thug. Dear christ.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNoseKnows View Post
    It's not my definition. "Thug: a violent person, especially a criminal.". Adding adjectives relating to someone's appearance doesn't make any changes to that definition. A black criminal is a thug. A white criminal is a thug. An asian criminal is a thug. A latino criminal is a thug. Dear christ.
    Thanks for clarification. You want a multicultural thug.

Yes they are, so what's your point?

Black store robber = Thug
    White store robber = Thug
    Latino store robber = Thug
    Can you see the pattern?
    ... store robber = Thug

The same applies to various other crimes. It's not that hard.
    White people don't rob stores, they rob pensions.

Given the broad definitions used by cops in regards to self defence I wouldn't be surprised if the cop thought that Brown's shadow tried to take away the ''gun''

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's pretty telling that people are rushing to the thread to defend Wilson's actions, when this wrongful death settlement is pretty much a tacit admission that he acted inappropriately.
    Not in the slightest. Settling in court isn't uncommon or an admission of anything. Only that you don't want the headache.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.policeforum.org/assets/30...principles.pdf

Plus, the DOJ's report on Ferguson, which said Wilson acted within department policy, but that policy was deeply flawed; https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...ent_report.pdf

Cool story. Now point out where in that report it says that their application of deadly force is wrong.

It says that many of FPDs policies at that time sewed mistrust in the community, almost all of the ones they listed don't support your argument. It has almost nothing to do with what happend between Wilson and Brown.

So if you are terminally ill and have no life insurance, go commit suicide by cop.

That way your family can sue.

Extra points if a few days earlier you submit college applications even if you didn't finish high school. That way they can claim "he/she wanted to go to college" sob story as well.

If you are black, its pretty much guaranteed they will get money.
    Last edited by dvaz; 2017-06-25 at 01:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaktard View Post
    So the guy robbed a store, assaulted a police officer and tried to steal his gun.. get shot and now the family of the criminal gets paid.

Just lol...
    And they call it justice? I used to dislike cops at one point.. but now I kinda feel sorry for them. Who the hell would even want to be a cop in this day and age? Can't deal with non white criminals cause its suddenly "racist".

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they are, so what's your point?

Black store robber = Thug
    White store robber = Thug
    Latino store robber = Thug
    Can you see the pattern?
    ... store robber = Thug

The same applies to various other crimes. It's not that hard.
    Wait, people still think that "thug" is a racially charged name?

It's amazing how one outspoken egotistical cornerback in Seattle can change the defintion of a word
    Overnight

"This family turned human scum into 1.5 million click to see how!"

And no, even if he were running towards the officer, an unarmed man isn't a lethal threat.
    Are you high or purposely feigning ignorance?

Quote Originally Posted by d33jay View Post
    Are you high or purposely feigning ignorance?
    ignore endus. he is the extreme left mod who promotes this talk.
    i will always be amazed how he keeps his mod powers with the crap he pulls.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Well the major issue here is that we don't collect good stats on police shootings. So there's no actual answer. Instead what we have is everyone picking out individual events and making huge generalizations based on them. We're a big country and we're armed to the teeth. Police shootings happen. Whether there are too many? That's a very tough question to answer.

And like sexual assault, the media loves hyping these cases because there tends to be a lot of ambiguity. Police are supposed to use force to subdue criminals, and sometimes the use of lethal force is necessary. It's very hard to tell definitively what happened in a lot of cases, so our "beyond a reasonable doubt" system tends to find people innocent. Likewise, people are supposed to have sex, and when one participant comes out crying rape it's unfortunately a he said/she said situation, and again, "beyond a reasonable doubt" means they get off. I'm mostly ok with this because I don't have an expectation that our system is going to be perfect in all situations - these are the situations where there's generally no great answer and I'm happier staying biased towards keeping people out of jail.
    Wrong!

/10

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Or the police could stop shooting unarmed citizens.
    Or you could stop being a smarmy jackass and the cop was defending himself. The guy was violent and got what he asked for.

Also I'm sure the "dindu nuffin" thing came up multiple times, and that's always believable, right?

It's pretty telling that people are rushing to the thread to defend Wilson's actions, when this wrongful death settlement is pretty much a tacit admission that he acted inappropriately.
    Not really.

1.5 mil to make it go away is likely less costly than spending the money on the trial or getting a sympathetic jury that could have awarded even more... Given what's already happened there a judgement in their favor may have meant even more violence and then having to rebuild the next time the peaceful protesters choose to loot their own city.. Given the racial makeup of the city and the uncertainty of any wrongful death trail, settling was probably the smart move $$$ wise. But I'm quite certain you'll ignore those possibilities and just go on with the whole -- tacit admission tripe.

Also - the hypcrisy in claiming people are rushing to defend Wilson while at the same time ignoring what actually happened is well, funny.

Congratulations Michael "Friendly Giant" Brown, puncher of cops, on being nearly 3 years free of crime.
    An angel that guy was. Honestly. He was trying to help that shopkeeper clear his throat of a blockage.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I generally agree with your posts. But in this case I think it's more likely that they just wanted this headache gone. You can't win when you're defending against the "gentle giant" strangler of shopkeepers in an all black city. Even if you're right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The settlement speaks otherwise and thats all that matters.
    Or more likely the headache became to annoying and the profit / loss analysis said the continued damage control would cost more than the settlement.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Or the police could stop shooting unarmed citizens.
    Or people can stop being idiots and comply with the cop even if you have commited a crime or no crime

Defending himself by shooting someone running away?? regardless of his previous actions the bullets went in his back so if anything it was a retaliation not a defense.
    He wasn't shot in the back. You can clearly see in the picture provided from the autopsy in the article that there are no bullet wounds on his back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/u...t-6-times.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    I guess Tavon Martin was a non lethal threat to George Zimmerman as he was grounding and pounding Zimmerman's skull into the pavement.....cause you know...Tavon was half his size and all...
    I haven't heard about that particular incident but if a smaller guy managed to kill a guy twice his size with his bare hands it just strengthen my case that a bigger dude is a lethal threat since bigger people are, in general, stronger.