Breaking into the RBG world

Last season I ran RBGs with my guild, we got our 40 wins and called it there. Sadly there is no interest in doing RBGs this season. This has resulted in joining yolo groups that get stomped and fall apart after one loss.

I fully admit that I'm not the best pvper but I do listen, swap to priority targets, peel for healers, willing to hop into voice etc. I would like to try and find other like minded individuals to attempt to get 40 wins, essences for upgrading legos and maybe even push rating (Highest I got was 1650).

Is there a discord/forum where players can make organised groups? Part of my problem is little experience (only started doing rbgs daily last season) so I have nothing to link to 2k groups. I feel that I'm stuck at the bottom and I don't know how to climb up.

Thank you for any advice!

Not wanting to derail this thread but this used to be easier in previous expansions. Not due to it being any easier but there were more people playing pvp and rated bgs. Before lfg for rbgs people made groups with openraid and similar sites, these usually were quite good for organizing a steady team. And at the start of lfg there seemed at least to me many less ridiculous things asked, must be 2k rated in the last season and 925 ilvl etc... But back to the question.

At the moment, you have several options if your lucky enough to be on a lively pvp server try looking for a good guild running a rbg group that has an opening, These don't exist on my realm so i can give no further advice there.

I would suggest trying the LFG rbg groups, some aren't terrible you'll eventually get a feel quite quickly which are not good and a lot are awful, just not all. But when you do find a good group don't be shy add the people you like to play with to your friends list. Eventually you'll build up a group of like minded rbg people to play with that you can trust, and with enough experience and when you feel confident enough you may find it beneficial leading and making groups yourself with these people. The rating will come on its own when the group is good and consistent.

Deleted
    Jesus, I almost thought I made this thread by seeing your profile photo ;_;

- - - Updated - - -

RBG's are hard to get into, I played to almost 2.3 during MoP while sort of hitch hiking on a friend's guildruns. I think finding a PvP dedicated guild is your best bet

Deleted
    Arent RBG's in general next to dead right now?

Honestly this is probably the most difficult thing to get into in WOW. I'm not aware of any PVP guild recruiting mechanism equivalent to wowprogress and you may see one or two PVP recruitment threads out of 100's of PVE threads in the "guild recruitment" forum here and elsewhere.

I think overall the total # of RBG participants is just way down from what it used to be. I pugged my way to 2.1k in MoP and the first season in WoD, but once openraid (there was another addon that was very popular for RBG pugging at the time....can't remember the name now) went away it became much more difficult to reliably find a competent group. Like you have experienced, now days pugs disband after a single loss, and for the most part people playing RBGs seem to have the social skills and maturity of 5 year olds. I swapped mains for Legion and wanted to get all my old PVP titles back on my new main, but without a guild group or friends that I can rely on to show up and not quit after the first loss of the day its just a really frustrating experience.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aux View Post
    Last season I ran RBGs with my guild, we got our 40 wins and called it there. Sadly there is no interest in doing RBGs this season. This has resulted in joining yolo groups that get stomped and fall apart after one loss.

I fully admit that I'm not the best pvper but I do listen, swap to priority targets, peel for healers, willing to hop into voice etc. I would like to try and find other like minded individuals to attempt to get 40 wins, essences for upgrading legos and maybe even push rating (Highest I got was 1650).

Is there a discord/forum where players can make organised groups? Part of my problem is little experience (only started doing rbgs daily last season) so I have nothing to link to 2k groups. I feel that I'm stuck at the bottom and I don't know how to climb up.

Well the problem with rbgs is that at the 2k+ bracket its a very small group of ppl that rbg consistently. Those ppl know each other and most of the invites that go out are from btag anyway. If you are a dps then its even worse and only favors certain dps specs over others. To make matters worse the community is fairy toxic at this level. I ended up making a MW monk and healing my way there since its much easier to get into groups that way. Yolo groups are a complete waste of your time tbh.

Deleted

It is really better you just wait till the current, awful system falls apart rather than you waste vast time and energy on this.

Your best bet is joining a guild that regularly does RBGs, because pugging them is next to impossible now. It's pretty sad actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoeth View Post
    Honestly this is probably the most difficult thing to get into in WOW. I'm not aware of any PVP guild recruiting mechanism equivalent to wowprogress and you may see one or two PVP recruitment threads out of 100's of PVE threads in the "guild recruitment" forum here and elsewhere.

I think overall the total # of RBG participants is just way down from what it used to be. I pugged my way to 2.1k in MoP and the first season in WoD, but once openraid (there was another addon that was very popular for RBG pugging at the time....can't remember the name now) went away it became much more difficult to reliably find a competent group. Like you have experienced, now days pugs disband after a single loss, and for the most part people playing RBGs seem to have the social skills and maturity of 5 year olds. I swapped mains for Legion and wanted to get all my old PVP titles back on my new main, but without a guild group or friends that I can rely on to show up and not quit after the first loss of the day its just a really frustrating experience.
    That was oQueue, very popular in MoP RBG but was wrecked by Blizz with LFG. People can say what they will about Tiny and his occasional asshattery, but his oQueue was a good way to get pretty decent pugs going or fill out an existing group.

RBGs now? 1600 yolo mutants with no strats, can't TC or FC, can't figure out basic macros, can't comm like a normally adjusted human being, and asking for 2k+. lulz

OR the same cheating, no-life scumlords at the top of the heap that you eventually run into if you get through the monkey show at the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    It is really better you just wait till the current, awful system falls apart rather than you waste vast time and energy on this.
    That's the bottom line here. RBGs aren't worth the aggro right now.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Most of my Pvp guild took a break so I tried to pug some rbgs, what a horrible nightmare. Got to 1.7k and just couldn't motivate myself to get any higher. Its just really bad
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    You can still pug RBG's especially folks going for that artifact challenge color stuff that requires you to wear the artifact challenge weapon while winning 10 RBG's - honestly, the time is now to get those RBG groups together, and YOLO PUGS work decent (I did a ton of them in WoD: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...ayer-vs-player ) so it's doable, but you'll likely have some bad groups like I did/just the way it issssss..

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're doing RBGs for a goddamned wep recolor, then you're doing them for the wrong reasons. OTOH, I can't necessarily blame people for doing what Blizz put in the game that was stupid.

"...and YOLO PUGS work decent (I did a ton of them in WoD:..." Legion is not WoD.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

RBGs are basically made up of the same 10 teams every season and a few random teams around 2k. Breaking into those top teams is near impossible unless you know people.

Below 2k you're just going to have to make your own groups. Perhaps call it "daily win" and add any decent players on BTag afterwards. Most people will probably stick around if you won the first game. There's also a hell of a lot of RBG guilds playing around the 1800-2k mark. RBG participation sorta died after S12 and has been declining since.

With the daily win groups you'll probably get some high-rated players on alts that join, perhaps add them too.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2017-06-29 at 04:04 PM.

We have a team that plays together 2 times a week. We are in need of more regular players atm. We use discord. You are more than welcome to try out with us if you are on the Horde side. We are at about 1500 rating atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    If you're doing RBGs for a goddamned wep recolor, then you're doing them for the wrong reasons. OTOH, I can't necessarily blame people for doing what Blizz put in the game that was stupid.

"...and YOLO PUGS work decent (I did a ton of them in WoD:..." Legion is not WoD.
    I've PvPed a lot in TBC/WotLK/early Cataclysm (RBGs included), but quit with 4.1. Came back in late MoP with the intention to get back into RBGs. It was too much effort, so I gave PvE a shot. Fast forward to 7.2 and decided to start RBGs again via LFG because of that exact reason - weapon skin. I'm glad Blizzard did this to be honest, I had to give it a real shot to get the skin as you need 10 wins, not just 10 games. And now I'm hooked to PvP again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: the intentions might be bad in your eyes, but it could bring a lot more players into your game mode. Which should always be a good thing, if anything you'll get a few easy rating gains out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seditian View Post
    I've PvPed a lot in TBC/WotLK/early Cataclysm (RBGs included), but quit with 4.1. Came back in late MoP with the intention to get back into RBGs. It was too much effort, so I gave PvE a shot. Fast forward to 7.2 and decided to start RBGs again via LFG because of that exact reason - weapon skin. I'm glad Blizzard did this to be honest, I had to give it a real shot to get the skin as you need 10 wins, not just 10 games. And now I'm hooked to PvP again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: the intentions might be bad in your eyes, but it could bring a lot more players into your game mode. Which should always be a good thing, if anything you'll get a few easy rating gains out of it.
    Meanwhile, Blizz looks the other way on the cheaters, wintraders, pilots who are often also streamers that are free advertising for Blizz. It's been so bad that they've openly bragged about their scumbaggery on Blizzard's own forums, because they know Blizz will not take tough measures to perma-ban them.

Blizz loves those whales at the top of the brackets who spend like drunken sailors on multiple accts. and Shop items/services. One of them can make up for half a dozen or more people that quit because of the shitty state of the game.

THAT'S why Legion has been set up to pander to them (and to push WoW as e-sports), instead of Blizz doing the many things that would bring the other 60%-80% of players they've lost back to Rated PvP.

This is where I come from: the tons of people playing mostly yolo stuff in between raids from expansions past to the organized and purposeful team that made top 3% last season.

The only way to break in is to play. You have to sign up for things. You have to be a likable person in chat which generally means no put downs, no talking over people, no disrespecting the leader of the group (normally the hardest spot) and just be positive.

The most important thing though.... you have to be good. If you are a bad player, it does not matter how great a person you are people will not take you to things that have a time commitment and a win/loss structure.

So these are the things I would say to do if you want to "break in" to RBG.

1.) Set a goal and be upfront about it and don't deviate. Don't listen to the people that tell you if you are not doing it to win or some bullshit. If all you want is the giant AP token for your first win, or all you want is your 40 win mount because arena sucks, or all you want is 2k for the transmog, or all you want is 10 wins for the skin, or all you want to do is smash face and laugh then commit to your goal. Having a goal is always the first place to start any endeavor. When you start deviating from that goal initially is when you start getting into things that you are not prepared to do. You will not get hero your first season out. Set a low goal, like 1800 or something and work for it. When you make 1800, set it a little higher...

2.) Be a good player. I am talking about understanding the maps, understanding the classes, understanding how larger scale battles work in general, understanding how your class works, etc. You can learn these things by doing and by watching. I am talking about spamming the shit out of BGs. I am talking about youtube videos of players playing your class. I am talking about streamers, I am talking about arena tournaments. While arena is different than RBG, the core principles are the same. When am I in trouble? When are they in trouble? Who is weak right now? Who is dangerous right now? Where should I stand? What do I communicate to my team and how? Don't be scared of these numbers because I have been playing for a long time, but I am not a top tier player and this is what my account looks like for HKs and BGs played to give you an idea of what I mean.

HKs 499,796
    BGs Played 8,995 ( I wish I had written down the win numbers too, but I believe it will be mid 60% over the years)

With all that, I still cannot play at the level that some of the RBG players play. The top tier teams a lot of times don't even use voicecomms. They type in chat periodically, but essentially they all know what to do and how things work already and don't have to be told. Players who complain about no target calling, or no strat calling, or no directions are just sheep that need a leader. All of those things you can figure out on your own when you understand what is going on.

3.) Sadly, play the right class. Anything can work in RBG if you are a top tier player. Anything can work in an RBG if you are a low tier player. But in the meaty bell curve of players in between you have to be the right class. The meta changes somewhat from season to season with changes to the game, but there are generally perennial winners and losers. Currently the most popular meta is a healing mix of Hpriest, MW Monk, and Rdruid. DPS is a mix of hunters, demon hunters, rogues, warlocks, warriors. Tank is Demon hunter. Everything else is garbage and people will not take you if they are chained to the meta. The hive mind has picked out what works and people want the best chances of winning possible so they do not deviate.

4.) After you have a good session put your btag up in chat. Mark the people that add you down on what class they played and their character name and what rating you were playing with them at. Keep it updated and do things with them outside of RBG. Never go into a normal BG alone if you can help it, always bring friends from your btag. Get into voice with them and have fun. Talk about the game, talk about the classes. Talk about what works and what doesn't.

No one person contains all the knowledge. You have to have friends who are interested in the topic as well and like to talk shop.

Me and my friends run RBGS a lot homie. I have a group u run with my main but also run cap groups weekly to for my alts who are all ilevel 900 plus too. Hit me up Aliatril#11653

Nobody does rbgs anymore, there used to be rbg guilds that worked kinda like raiding guilds with a schedule and all that. That's all over now, all the organized rbg players have quit the game.

I've had success with yolo groups, just get into another one.