Does your skill vary wildly?

I'm super curious about this because I don't know if it's just me or what. I'm a super casual player, and sometimes play all day one day, then don't play a week or two and come back. So I think that might have to do with it, but it doesn't really seem correlated.

There are times I haven't played in a few days and I'll hop on Widowmaker and shit on the other team so bad they start telling me I'm aimbotting or smurfing.

Then there are times I'm playing pretty consistently, hop on Widowmaker and 47 shots, hit 25% of the hp and suck so bad my team thinks I'm throwing or trolling.

Does anyone else feel like their skill is totally random when they play or are you all super consistent and I'm just weird?

Deleted
    It does very a bit, but no even close to way you're describing. I think that's pretty normal for "super casual" players. You play so little that you don't really have aiming in muscle memory etc. so it can get quite random.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it also depends on the quality of offense you're facing.

Strong players are very good at evading.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think it may also vary depending on who you play with, who you play against and what char are played. Can´t tell how it feels with widow (because is just suck at sniping in this game), but with junkrat i also have times like those you´ve discribed.

Some days i just "snipe" pharas that are unaware of their surroundings, easyly killing any tank that got in my sight and picking healers with pinpoint accuracy.

But then there are those days i get picked even by battlemercys, get headshoted by genjis when just leaving spawn or randomly getting hit by a scatterarrow when low on life. Actually.. that scatterarrow even gets me on good days. (F**k you Hanzo!)

Long story short:
    No, you´re not alone with that problemo my friend

10+ Year Old Account
    I just toss it down to luck and enemy skill. If they're stationary / move in a straight line they're much easier to hit than if they zig zag unpredictably

Deleted
    If you want your skill to be consistent, you need to play everyday. At least do some trainings and aim exercises. Also you need to get into the game with fresh mind and do proper warm ups (15mins at least).
    Obviously if you play widow (I am widow main aswell on grandmaster) there is so many things that can go wrong. If the enemy setup is good for you, you can smash them so hard with huge amount of kills and stuff. But if they counter you.... well, you might end up with nothing.
    I know your feeling, but playing everyday will give your better consistence you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I'm super curious about this because I don't know if it's just me or what. I'm a super casual player, and sometimes play all day one day, then don't play a week or two and come back. So I think that might have to do with it, but it doesn't really seem correlated.

There are times I haven't played in a few days and I'll hop on Widowmaker and shit on the other team so bad they start telling me I'm aimbotting or smurfing.

Then there are times I'm playing pretty consistently, hop on Widowmaker and 47 shots, hit 25% of the hp and suck so bad my team thinks I'm throwing or trolling.

Does anyone else feel like their skill is totally random when they play or are you all super consistent and I'm just weird?
    1. Consistence comes with practice, the more a person plays the more consistence.
    2. The team you're on. If your team is getting smashed, you very often wont ever get the opportunity to 'play well'. I've noticed that when my team is on top, I very often perform well because the opportunity to just dominate is there. Just like a good football player can't really shine if he's on a shitty team.

Your aim, spatial awareness, positioning, teamwork and WASD skills should be consistent for most of the part, only improving with time and practice.

Results though may be impacted by other factors than your skill.

Sometimes I can destroy the team as Genji, other times I recall into my own pulse bomb as Tracer.

Usually consistent to some degree though, but I do have a few swings here and there, depending on the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes it can depending on the character. Some days I can destroy teams with Tracer and others I get spotted and murdered constantly. Usually though if I am sucking with a character I'll just switch off. There is always at least some character I can play well, even if I gotta Lucio and move around more than fight or jump around with Winston.

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest problem is my inconsistency. It's like BAD. I can literally show you screenshots where one game I'm called a hacker/virgin/pro and the next I'm being berated for not hitting shit (I main Widow). I've carried hard, been complimented on it and then the next game I'll be with a different team and be told to switch because I'm terrible. And they're RIGHT. It's not that I'm facing tougher players or anything like that. My aim is just ridiculously inconsistent sometimes. I can get into this groove where I can almost never miss but then it goes away. And it's not just with Widow and not just with aim. It's like my brain goes on the fritz. I'll just start playing Symmetra or something when this happens but then that's annoying because I know I'm not getting any better doing that.

This happened before but not NEARLY as much as it does now. I played for months after release and got pretty consistent (I was JUST starting to get legitimately good) but then I started playing WoW again and only occasionally came back to OW for events and things. I just recently returned because I plan to get to at least master (I was 62/diamond level in season 1). I was pretty horrible when I came back. I'm starting to get some of it back but it's really frustrating being so inconsistent.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall skill? Not really. My skill at landing shots varies wildly depending on whether or not I fall into rhythm. I can't twitch-aim worth shit, so it all comes down to matching my timing to theirs. Players with good twitch reflexes tend to kick my ass, so I cap out around medium-high plat in OW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

It depends here. When I'm playing Mcclick, my aim follows the following cycle :
    - 1°) Warm up : every shot is kind of a 25hit/75miss. This would last a game or 2 starting the session.
    - 2°) Peek : I can reliably take out weebs and Pharahs and I can land headshots quite often. Lasting a few games.
    - 3°) Bronze level : I just can't hit a single thing, even a roadhog. At this moment of the cycle, I just swap out to Mercy and do well...Mercy stuff. :<

Deleted
    i have my days when i play good or bad regardless of players im facing, sometimes my aim is just off.

hydration, being in the mood, breathing through the correct nostril (i forget which, but i'm not joking, look it up), did you sleep good, posture, background thoughts.. probably a million more things depending on you personally.

so much stuff affects how you do anything in life, the key is figuring out what kind of warm up you need to do for each particular task in order to be in the proper zone for doing it amazingly.

It varies from hero to hero for sure.

HH,that is cool

- - - Updated - - -

Just as me?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just how widow is. She's the most hot and cold hero in the game. Even the pros will be streaky with her. It comes down to whether your team can capitalize on your picks.
    HEROES NEVER DIE