View Poll Results: Should the government do more?

Voters
70. This poll is closed
  • Yes absolutely.

36 51.43%
  • No. They're on their own.

12 17.14%
  • No. They deserve this for bad life choices.

22 31.43%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    should the government do more: yes

but it is more on people managing their money that anything else imo. I see alot of people I work with have HORRIBLE money habits. It almost seems like some people go out of their way to make sure they spend all their money from each paycheck before they get their next one and not even attempt to save any of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Just let everything go crazy exploiting the shit out of everyone then? Maybe it'd be worth having kids if they can be sent off to work in factories again.
    Sigh.. no, but you shouldn't let a bunch of incompetent (and greedy) people run things cause thats always a recipe for disaster. More government is ALWAYS bad. Less corruption though, more oversight maybe.. but to quote Ben Franklin here "those who give up their liberty for safety, deserve neither".

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    For a lot of people, that is simply living above their means.
    This is exactly right. I have a twin brother and we both make roughly $150k a year as pharmacists. I own a home outright (no loan, paid cash) once I could afford it for $255k. 10 years of saving and living in an apartment. My brother just filed for bankruptcy. He bought a home when we finished college (the peak market before the economy crashed) with a $650k mortgage. We live in the same city, so generally things cost the same in regards to living expenses.

If you can't afford to buy something without a loan, you shouldn't buy it. It's making people in this country poor by making others rich. And it's done with most large purchases. I paid $255k in total for my home. My brother will have paid well over $1 million over the life of his loan (if he hadn't filed and lost the house). And the crazy thing is, my home is appraised at a higher value then his is at the moment because I can afford to update mine.

People disagree with me when I put this point of view out there usually. But those are probably the same people that are paying almost twice what their house is worth to purchase said house. Not everyone should be a home owner, or new car owner, or own a boat...learn to live with what you have and save what you can. Once you can buy it outright, do so. From that point, no one can take it away, which is a great feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    This is just stupid.. crazy stupid.

The government needs to butt out.. the more they get involved the more they mess stuff up. I can't stress this strongly enough. They need to do way way less..
    Lets bring back the Robber Baron Era all over again...
    Oh wait, we're already there.
    Where the hell are we ever going to get another Teddy Roosevelt or FDR in this fucked up timeframe?

Sigh.. no, but you shouldn't let a bunch of incompetent (and greedy) people run things cause thats always a recipe for disaster. More government is ALWAYS bad. Less corruption though, more oversight maybe.. but to quote Ben Franklin here "those who give up their liberty for safety, deserve neither".
    How is being at the whims of corporations better? At least we have a say in government through elected officials.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Lets bring back the Robber Baron Era all over again...
    Oh wait, we're already there.
    Where the hell are we ever going to get another Teddy Roosevelt or FDR in this fucked up timeframe?
    Again, just because there a problem, it doesn't mean you have to be a moron and sell all your rights to the first snake oil salesman you run into.

Now for the real quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Now for the real quote:
    Is there a difference? Cause big government fucks you over every time. I really dont get it, who do so many people have this slave mentality and want to give away their rights for handouts?

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    nah, before you didnt really have much to buy.

- - - Updated - - -

im glad others are seeing it that way too, including our officials. when i 1st posted that years ago on this site people thought i was batshit crazy, now, well you see, the truth is coming out.

- - - Updated - - -

sweet, low income people should never own their house

Even The Rich never technically own their home since they do not really own the land since it is the county and state that owns it and taxes you on it aka they can sell your land aka your house if you do not pay taxes.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Is there a difference? Cause big government fucks you over every time. I really dont get it, who do so many people have this slave mentality and want to give away their rights for handouts?
    Since when is being fucked over by corporations a right? Much less an "essential right?" And why would people not want to give up that "right?"

There is but as a Sovereign Citizen Lite, you probably wouldn't understand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    should the government do more: yes

but it is more on people managing their money that anything else imo. I see alot of people I work with have HORRIBLE money habits. It almost seems like some people go out of their way to make sure they spend all their money from each paycheck before they get their next one and not even attempt to save any of it.
    How can you know this unless you are prying into their affairs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Economic realities are tied to a person actual health, people need to know it nearly as much as they know the symptoms of high blood, pressure or a heart attack. It is that serious.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would the government bail these people out when they did it to themselves?

Big government that sell themselves to the highest bidder is nothing more than a big business oligarchy in truth. Need to get every bit of business asshole lobbyists, and any special interests and all their damned money out of politics.

We spend a couple of trillion bailing out business and providing corporate welfare...the same ones that fuck up the country in a very big way...and pay off politicians who spend their entire careers justifying such shit.

All depends on your job, and what you are doing with your finances. As of right now, I do not have anything that demands my paycheck from me. I pay for my phone, car, housing, and insurances proper. And still retain most of my paycheck without any issues. If you're living on a low wage job, of course you'll be living with half your wages. You also need to consider your dependents. If you got nothing holding you back, no debts or situations calling for your money. Then you'll have a much more full bank account.

Glad to be living in a Nordic model country. I have money to save each month, comfortable living (way higher standard than low-income folks in USA) and know that my healthcare can't ruin me financially.

It comes at the cost of paying taxes, but I'm happy to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You DO realize that if the military spends less than means countries that live under the US defense umbrella will have to start paying for their own defense. Ignoring that, when did it become the government's responsibility to cover for the bad spending decisions of its citizens?
    Excuse me, but they aren't bad decisions, they are democratic bad decisions. There's clearly a difference, and throwing money at the problem will work this time (tm)!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Glad to be living in a Nordic model country. I have money to save each month, comfortable living (way higher standard than low-income folks in USA) and know that my healthcare can't ruin me financially.

It comes at the cost of paying taxes, but I'm happy to do it.
    Glad to be living in a Capitalistic model country. I own a nice car, multiple homes, can buy/do pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want, have 10s of 1000s of dollars in the bank, full health and dental insurance and almost 7 figures (and growing) tucked away in retirement plans.

It comes at the cost of taking my education, career path and retirement plan seriously, although missing out on some (but not all) of the wild times in my youth, but I am happy I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Excuse me, but they aren't bad decisions, they are democratic bad decisions. There's clearly a difference, and throwing money at the problem will work this time (tm)!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to be living in a Capitalistic model country. I own a nice car, multiple homes, can buy/do pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want, have 10s of 1000s of dollars in the bank, full health and dental insurance and almost 7 figures (and growing) tucked away in retirement plans.

It comes at the cost of taking my education, career path and retirement plan seriously, although missing out on some (but not all) of the wild times in my youth, but I am happy I did it.
    Good for you.

In my country, even those at the bottom won't be in financial ruin and living in slums. People own nice cars, multiple homes, buy and do whatevery they want, save thousands of euros and all that jazz just fine here as well. Even people coming from the very poorest of poor in this country, have an equal chance to make it to the top through our education, and won't face risks of being ruined by health issues/injuries on their way up.