Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Deleted

    First Language Ever Invented?

    What is the first Language that was invented and used in the early stages of Human history, like the first one ever noted.

  2. #2
    English...

  3. #3
    just report as spam and move on, if the OP wanted to know he would have searched for it.
    The message from Trump could not be clearer, "We do not have 'allies'. We do not have 'trade partners'. We do not have 'common ground' or 'common interests'. We do not have 'strategic alliances'. We do not honor 'agreements'."

  4. #4
    Deleted
    Depends how you're defining language, early means of communication aren't recorded.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Deleted
    Sumerian probably one of the first ones noted.

  7. #7
    invented...lol

    I am curious who has the patent for which language.

  8. #8
    Cave Drawings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  9. #9
    If I recall correctly, "humming" was the first way that mothers used for infants...waaay back when.
    Formal writing? I think cuneiform beat out hieroglyphics by a few centuries. (There were some examples of "proto-writing" earlier)

  10. #10
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If I recall correctly, "humming" was the first way that mothers used for infants...waaay back when.
    Formal writing? I think cuneiform beat out hieroglyphics by a few centuries. (There were some examples of "proto-writing" earlier)
    what about proto-indo-european?

  11. #11
    The Undying Hubcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    31,775
    Some woman wanted to give her mate hell but there was no language but she was so mad she invented it.
    .


    Sing your death song like a hero coming home.

    -- Tecumseh

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlack View Post
    what about proto-indo-european?
    Nothing formal to see. I would agree that the symbols have meaning, but such meaning only a few would know of.

  13. #13
    Considering written language came later it's all but impossible to say. Purely vocally transmitted things only ever survived because they were passed down long enough to be committed to a permanent document.

    edit: Googling it that seems to be the consensus. Any idea that people come up with is nothing but an educated guess based on what we know of how modern languages developed and diverged from earlier languages in recorded history. Emphasis on "recorded." Before that, well, there aren't any records.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-07-03 at 03:43 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlack View Post
    What is the first Language that was invented and used in the early stages of Human history, like the first one ever noted.
    None actually. Or at least we have no way of knowing what that language is or was. Most likely mankind developed the ability for language long before we started actively using it for serious communication.

    Before language there was a kind of proto-language, or pre-language that exists in that nether region between just animal sounds and gestures and language, it doesn't exactly have lexicon, syntax, or grammar but it isn't just animal calls either.

    Language likely developed independently among the proto-language using humans as we spread about and thus emerged independently.

    If there was one single Proto-World as its sometimes called, then its likely impossible for us to ever know what it was like because the method by which we reconstruct language families relies on comparative triangulation among surviving or testable daughter languages.

    So like using Sanskrit, Latin, Old Irish, Greek and Old Church Slovanic and Avastan we were able to construct Proto-Indo-European since it was clear these languages all had a common ancestor.

    If P.I.E and say Semetic had a common ancestor it was likely so far back that its impossible to run the comparative analysis. After all in about ten thousand years, assuming say English, Hindi, and German all survive to create new daughter languages, then it is likely impossible by then to discover that ancestrally the new future language families were related because words and sounds change over time.

  15. #15
    I don't think we really know the oldest language, modern humans have been around for ~200,000 years.

    The earliest recorded language is probably Sumerian, while the oldest living language is Greek. Tamil, Sanskrit, Basque and Chinese are also incredibly ancient languages.

    Basque is the last linguistic remnant of Pre-Indo-European Europe.

  16. #16
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    35,411
    Cave drawings forgot the technical name for it and sign language.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  17. #17
    Dreadlord Dwarfhamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    A plastic cage
    Posts
    994
    Best answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    None actually. Or at least we have no way of knowing what that language is or was. Most likely mankind developed the ability for language long before we started actively using it for serious communication.

    Before language there was a kind of proto-language, or pre-language that exists in that nether region between just animal sounds and gestures and language, it doesn't exactly have lexicon, syntax, or grammar but it isn't just animal calls either.

    Language likely developed independently among the proto-language using humans as we spread about and thus emerged independently.

    If there was one single Proto-World as its sometimes called, then its likely impossible for us to ever know what it was like because the method by which we reconstruct language families relies on comparative triangulation among surviving or testable daughter languages.

    So like using Sanskrit, Latin, Old Irish, Greek and Old Church Slovanic and Avastan we were able to construct Proto-Indo-European since it was clear these languages all had a common ancestor.

    If P.I.E and say Semetic had a common ancestor it was likely so far back that its impossible to run the comparative analysis. After all in about ten thousand years, assuming say English, Hindi, and German all survive to create new daughter languages, then it is likely impossible by then to discover that ancestrally the new future language families were related because words and sounds change over time.

  18. #18
    We don't know.

    But we can trace back a number of language families. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_families Most really can't be clearly dated.

    Oldest attested written language is Sumerian, tho Sumerian is not a predecessor of all forms of written language, as writing developed many times over in isolation by different languages/language families. Older written languages could have existed, but we have no historical records of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  19. #19
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    35,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    None actually. Or at least we have no way of knowing what that language is or was. Most likely mankind developed the ability for language long before we started actively using it for serious communication.

    Before language there was a kind of proto-language, or pre-language that exists in that nether region between just animal sounds and gestures and language, it doesn't exactly have lexicon, syntax, or grammar but it isn't just animal calls either.

    Language likely developed independently among the proto-language using humans as we spread about and thus emerged independently.

    If there was one single Proto-World as its sometimes called, then its likely impossible for us to ever know what it was like because the method by which we reconstruct language families relies on comparative triangulation among surviving or testable daughter languages.

    So like using Sanskrit, Latin, Old Irish, Greek and Old Church Slovanic and Avastan we were able to construct Proto-Indo-European since it was clear these languages all had a common ancestor.

    If P.I.E and say Semetic had a common ancestor it was likely so far back that its impossible to run the comparative analysis. After all in about ten thousand years, assuming say English, Hindi, and German all survive to create new daughter languages, then it is likely impossible by then to discover that ancestrally the new future language families were related because words and sounds change over time.
    This is wrong. He asked about language not just communication and yes it is known.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Some woman wanted to give her mate hell but there was no language but she was so mad she invented it.
    ^ this gets my vote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •