Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

First Language Ever Invented?

What is the first Language that was invented and used in the early stages of Human history, like the first one ever noted.

10+ Year Old Account
    English...

Deleted
    Depends how you're defining language, early means of communication aren't recorded.

Deleted
    Sumerian probably one of the first ones noted.

invented...lol

I am curious who has the patent for which language.

Cave Drawings
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

If I recall correctly, "humming" was the first way that mothers used for infants...waaay back when.
    Formal writing? I think cuneiform beat out hieroglyphics by a few centuries. (There were some examples of "proto-writing" earlier)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If I recall correctly, "humming" was the first way that mothers used for infants...waaay back when.
    Formal writing? I think cuneiform beat out hieroglyphics by a few centuries. (There were some examples of "proto-writing" earlier)
    what about proto-indo-european?

Some woman wanted to give her mate hell but there was no language but she was so mad she invented it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by iSlack View Post
    what about proto-indo-european?
    Nothing formal to see. I would agree that the symbols have meaning, but such meaning only a few would know of.

Considering written language came later it's all but impossible to say. Purely vocally transmitted things only ever survived because they were passed down long enough to be committed to a permanent document.

edit: Googling it that seems to be the consensus. Any idea that people come up with is nothing but an educated guess based on what we know of how modern languages developed and diverged from earlier languages in recorded history. Emphasis on "recorded." Before that, well, there aren't any records.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-07-03 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlack View Post
    What is the first Language that was invented and used in the early stages of Human history, like the first one ever noted.
    None actually. Or at least we have no way of knowing what that language is or was. Most likely mankind developed the ability for language long before we started actively using it for serious communication.

Before language there was a kind of proto-language, or pre-language that exists in that nether region between just animal sounds and gestures and language, it doesn't exactly have lexicon, syntax, or grammar but it isn't just animal calls either.

Language likely developed independently among the proto-language using humans as we spread about and thus emerged independently.

If there was one single Proto-World as its sometimes called, then its likely impossible for us to ever know what it was like because the method by which we reconstruct language families relies on comparative triangulation among surviving or testable daughter languages.

So like using Sanskrit, Latin, Old Irish, Greek and Old Church Slovanic and Avastan we were able to construct Proto-Indo-European since it was clear these languages all had a common ancestor.

If P.I.E and say Semetic had a common ancestor it was likely so far back that its impossible to run the comparative analysis. After all in about ten thousand years, assuming say English, Hindi, and German all survive to create new daughter languages, then it is likely impossible by then to discover that ancestrally the new future language families were related because words and sounds change over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I don't think we really know the oldest language, modern humans have been around for ~200,000 years.

The earliest recorded language is probably Sumerian, while the oldest living language is Greek. Tamil, Sanskrit, Basque and Chinese are also incredibly ancient languages.

Basque is the last linguistic remnant of Pre-Indo-European Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cave drawings forgot the technical name for it and sign language.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Best answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    None actually. Or at least we have no way of knowing what that language is or was. Most likely mankind developed the ability for language long before we started actively using it for serious communication.

Before language there was a kind of proto-language, or pre-language that exists in that nether region between just animal sounds and gestures and language, it doesn't exactly have lexicon, syntax, or grammar but it isn't just animal calls either.

Language likely developed independently among the proto-language using humans as we spread about and thus emerged independently.

If there was one single Proto-World as its sometimes called, then its likely impossible for us to ever know what it was like because the method by which we reconstruct language families relies on comparative triangulation among surviving or testable daughter languages.

So like using Sanskrit, Latin, Old Irish, Greek and Old Church Slovanic and Avastan we were able to construct Proto-Indo-European since it was clear these languages all had a common ancestor.

If P.I.E and say Semetic had a common ancestor it was likely so far back that its impossible to run the comparative analysis. After all in about ten thousand years, assuming say English, Hindi, and German all survive to create new daughter languages, then it is likely impossible by then to discover that ancestrally the new future language families were related because words and sounds change over time.

We don't know.

But we can trace back a number of language families. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_families Most really can't be clearly dated.

Oldest attested written language is Sumerian, tho Sumerian is not a predecessor of all forms of written language, as writing developed many times over in isolation by different languages/language families. Older written languages could have existed, but we have no historical records of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

This is wrong. He asked about language not just communication and yes it is known.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Some woman wanted to give her mate hell but there was no language but she was so mad she invented it.
    ^ this gets my vote

Deleted
    The first language ever invented was "Ugg", a language spoken by a stone age guy who only knew two words:

Ugg - I am hungry
    Agg - I believe the existence is merely about building a family, bear children, and believe everything the chief wants you to believe.

The alt right regularily refers to "Agg", as they believe it is their very fundamental philosophy.

SCNR.

for real:
    How should we know, considering the fact that the written word was invented way later than the spoken word?

If there was a first language, noone ever wrote about it. So it is lost in the past long ago.