Rerolling Paladin

Hi all,
    I'm rerolling with a character boost to a higher-pop server and I'm thinking paladin.
    I want something that I can easily get into groups and raids with and I think as a tank/healer hybrid, that would be easy.

So my simple question is...
    Which spec is more dependent on legendaries? (I'll probably gear prot first as that is easier done through mythic +), but should I keep my loot spec set to protection or switch it to holy?

Thanks for any input.
    Please do one thing on the forums, read the whole post first, form an opinion, and then state whether you agree or disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedevil View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm rerolling with a character boost to a higher-pop server and I'm thinking paladin.
    I want something that I can easily get into groups and raids with and I think as a tank/healer hybrid, that would be easy.

So my simple question is...
    Which spec is more dependent on legendaries? (I'll probably gear prot first as that is easier done through mythic +), but should I keep my loot spec set to protection or switch it to holy?

Thanks for any input.
    Personally I would leave my loot spec to what role you intend to fill more. If you are applying to groups as prot/holy you will probably be invited to heal like 80% of the time. So if getting into groups fast is your intention I would plan on healing and get at least 2 legendaries for that spec first.

As far as your question goes, Protection would probably see the most benefit from legendaries by the same logic that progression groups tend to gear their tanks and DPS before their healers since most fights are either tank or DPS checks and not so much healing checks. But, since you are pugging using the Group Finder Tool, that is largely irrelevant and I would go with whatever spec you find yourself playing more.

If you want to play at casual level (pugs, etc.) then you can do so with w/e legendaries you just need them for ilvl to get into pugs. If you want to min-max I'd rather pick druid over paladin, they're both more desirable healer and tank by most groups (I've seen holy paladins complain they aren't invited into m+ in favour of resto druids because "combat rez" and literally holy is the best of 3 paladin specs atm). For getting into raiding guilds, holy paladins are kinda a must, if a guild doesn't have one, they will really want one, but if they have it already, it's not a class you stack. Tanks, well... monk / druid is the jizz now with dk getting there a bit, depends if you wanna play fotm or not. Ret is not in a good spot atm, playable but not "we wanna have one in our group" levels, all you bring is buff 1 healer with wisdom, you don't bring cr or hero or aoe stun (unless mobs are undead / demons, not reliable) or even commanding shout or grip (all useful in m+).

At the level where class doesn't matter and you can play what you want it also doesn't matter if you have sub par legendaries, they matter the most for dps because dps is easier to measure, you can't easily measure healer performance and even harder to judge a tank. Tank is mostly knowledge of tactics + overall gear levels (you need the hp / armor / stats to survive the mob). Healing performance depends on how much damage the group takes and in raids, how strong are other healers.

So generally pick what you like more, tanking or healing, but tbh I think healers are in bigger demand and tanks face higher expectation in both m+ and raiding (need to know the fight inside out, need to know best routes and pulls around m+), so if I had no playstyle preference between tank and heal, I'd say healer is safer bet.

Thanks for the input guys.

I actually raided Mythic Nighthold (as a warlock) up until my guild transferred servers.

I have a druid already, so I'm out on that. I know that Ret is behind the pack right now, but I do see/hear that pally tanks are one of the best classes for mythic +.
    Please do one thing on the forums, read the whole post first, form an opinion, and then state whether you agree or disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    both specs depend on legendaries in certain situations, so just choose the one you truly want first.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedevil View Post
    but I do see/hear that pally tanks are one of the best classes for mythic +.
    https://www.wowprogress.com/mythic_plus
    Start from the top and tell me how often do you see a pally tank on the leaderboard then come back to us...

P.S. Tells a story when one of the best m+ prot palas in the world, Lazel, is playing his DH tank nowadays.
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2017-07-05 at 04:47 PM.

I think prot is slightly less forgiving for legendary requirements since it can make good use of prydaz, sephuz, Highlord ring, and Chain of Thrayn in mythic+ content, none of which are considered top tier survival legendaries. So if you get some bad luck on your early legendaries you can still solidly preform. Just my 2 cents.

Deleted
    a lot of paladin legendaries are 100% useless and change absolutely nothing while the good ones are pretty good and have an impact on game play so it's gonna be frustrating either way

Quote Originally Posted by treeqt View Post
    a lot of paladin legendaries are 100% useless and change absolutely nothing while the good ones are pretty good and have an impact on game play so it's gonna be frustrating either way
    That can be said about nearly every class / spec in the game atm.

There are maybe few specs where all the good legendaries got nerfed so they don't have anything really good left, not sure how exciting that alternative sounds.
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2017-07-05 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    https://www.wowprogress.com/mythic_plus
    Start from the top and tell me how often do you see a pally tank on the leaderboard then come back to us...

P.S. Tells a story when one of the best m+ prot palas in the world, Lazel, is playing his DH tank nowadays.
    There r plenty of paladins conpleteing +19. Unless ur on the leading edge of raiding or mythic + class balance doesn't really matter. Prot is still strong, this patch is the closest the tank balance has been all expansion. What the best of the best do doesn't matter to the masses since they will always gravitate to the best even if it's only .5% better.

Did he say y he switched from paladin to dh?

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    What the best of the best do doesn't matter to the masses since they will always gravitate to the best even if it's only .5% better.
    It does matter when someone wants to base their decision on "I heard this class is one of the best" while it's not really. If you know the class is not the best but still decide to play it because you like the playstyle or you're casual and don't care, that's another story than trying to justify a decision "because I heard it's good, right?"