Deleted

Help a Holy Priest

Greetings,

around 2 weeks ago I hit 110 on my priest (every expansion I main a different class at first, but become bored of it and go back to my priest), and now I got 871 iLvl. I play very casually and today I started healing some mythic +0 and +2.

And I find that I feel like I am not performing as good as I should. I try to keep PoM on cooldown, and use it between pulls for the cooldown. When someone's going below ~40% or there's a big hit incoming and the tank is not topped I use Serenity. When the group is dropping I use Sanctify (and PoH, if further AOE heal is needed). Renew is only used when I have to move or someone is at like 95% and no dmg is incoming soon. When I and/or 2 other people are low, but in no immediate danger I use Binding Heal to top us/them off. I know many consider Surge of Light the better talent but I just like Binding, so I'd rather keep it, since I probably will never do anything above +5 anyway.

But as I said, I feel like my heals are slow and don't heal much, so even the smallest group of adds can really stress me out.

For my stats I prefer hast and crit over mastery, as many have said that it's better for mythic+ where you can drink between pulls so the mana drain doesn't hurt as much. And I can't afford the Int gem atm, so I'm running with only haste gems.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...-skull/liddell

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by mmoc98d95e70a0; 2017-07-11 at 02:40 AM.

At your low ilvl you don't have much room to be gearing for much haste, if any at all. I'd suggest focusing on mastery > crit as your priority stats until you hit ~900 ilvl. At that point you can fit in some haste.

For 5 mans Surge of Light is practically a must, as 5-man dungeons are all about single, focused healing, on specific targets. Each proc of Surge essentially gives u a free refresh on your mastery HoT on 2 targets as a result of Trail of Light, as well as reducing the CD on ur next Serenity. Use Trail of Light, Surge, Light of the Naaru, Divnity, and CoH.

As a priest you always need to check your logs too see how you are performing in YOUR style of healing. Holy is very flexible in the things it can do and how you can heal, some of the talents are also up to your play-style (in dungeons, i go with trail of light because i keep the procs for periods when i have to move or i fish for them with renew when i move)

I was at 23% crit, 18% haste and 45% mastery but when i inspected the logs i saw that Echoes was doing 40% overhealing (even in raids) so i started to drop mastery in favor of haste and crit.

In mythics you can get away with 30-35% mastery also, keep in mind that all stats are good for priest and our number 1 prio is Intelect.

Do not throw a renew on someone with 95% life, renew is expensive and it will overheal (unless you are preparing for aoe dmg to come). Use the Holy words often, with ToS tier they will be available more often, and they are not our CDs, they are part of the usual healing "rotation". For emergency cases i use Light of T'uure, and when the shit hits the fan you have Apo, Guardian and Hymn (dungeons).

For dungeons i go 1121111 and raids 3131312 ( which i believe are the cookie cutter specs). Binding i don't use that much.
    Last edited by Ashgaan; 2017-07-11 at 12:11 PM. Reason: In before someone flames me for using "rotation" in the context of healing.

PoM isn't very useful in 5mans. It's up there with Renew as the "only cast if there's nothing else to cast" type of thing. If everyone is topped off, go ahead and hit the tank with a PoM. For the rest of the time, it's mostly Flash Heal, PoH, and Holy Words.

If you can't keep the group up with those four spells, then either people are standing in shit, or the tank is undergeared, or you are undergeared.

Yes, Haste/Crit are better for 5mans, so keep stacking those. For raiding however, Mastery/Crit is better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    PoM isn't very useful in 5mans. It's up there with Renew as the "only cast if there's nothing else to cast" type of thing. If everyone is topped off, go ahead and hit the tank with a PoM.
    Prayer of Mending has a short cast-down, does a good amount of healing up-front (the first jump) and incidentally has the fringe-benefit of healing someone who will certainly have lost health. I'd personally keep it up on the tank before topping people up, assuming no-one is in immediate danger.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Prayer of Mending has a short cast-down, does a good amount of healing up-front (the first jump) and incidentally has the fringe-benefit of healing someone who will certainly have lost health. I'd personally keep it up on the tank before topping people up, assuming no-one is in immediate danger.
    Not always, it's healing, it all depends on the damage you expect the party to take.
    In raids - always cast it on CD
    In dungeons - only cast it if you know it will bounce several times. remember that you will not take Piety and Bene so the value of PoM drops even more, you also waste a cast which can be used to reduce the CD on Serenity

If you have nothing to do ... do DPS, Holy is very good at that, or spam heal to have Serenity back faster.

Holy doesn't need to top people with hard casts (unless affixes demand that you do), let our mastery do something and not overheal like crazy.

Deleted
    Id focus on getting your mastery up a bit, large portion of my heals come from echo of light.