Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How Kul Tiras could become a whole continent

RedShirtGuy from Blizzplanet recently argued that we're likely looking at an entire expansion with Kul Tiras as the main continent:
    The recently datamined armor in the 7.3 PTR points to the island nation of Kul Tiras being the setting for our next World of Warcraft expansion. The naming scheme of the datamined files suggest Kul Tiras might not just be a zone in the next expansion, but an entire continent. Leveling gear in expansions usually follows this naming convention ““inv_(armor slot)_(armor type)_(“snippet of expansion’s name”quest)_b_01.” For example Legion leveling gear uses file names like “inv_chest_leather_legionquest100_b_01” and Warlords of Draenor used “inv_bracer_leather_draenorquest90_b_01.” That would suggest Kul Tiras is part of the expansion’s name, probably something like “(Blank) of Kul Tiras.”
    At first this made me sad, since I was looking forward to a South Seas expansion, but RedShirtGuy's expansion concept actually got me excited about a Kul Tiras continent. He suggests that in addition to the well-known human naval capital Boralus, it could also include long-awaited locations like Plunder Isle, Balor, Crestfall, and Galhara, along with perhaps a few areas near the Maelstrom like the Scintal Reef and Nazjatar. Blizz might be saving Zandalar for a later expansion, which could then also include Tel'Abim and what's left of Kezan.

Here's RedShirtGuy's map of what a Kul Tiras expansion might look like:

Last edited by mitotic; 2017-07-11 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anything, it would likely be a case of disjointed zones, of which Kul Tiras is one, just like in Cataclysm where many of the zones were in far reaching places. The ones you mentioned above would be the most likely.

I'm not sure how armor could 'make' it a continent. Kul Tiras is literally a city. How can one of the smallest nations, literally a city on an island, be a 'continent' with an entire expansion's worth of stuff?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I had the exact same reaction as you, believe me. But I also had that reaction about the Broken Isles -- it was supposed to be tiny! And yet Blizz made it a satisfying continent in the end.

Since Kul Tiras is a city state and Boralus is its capital city (kind of like Broken Isles and Suramar), I could see Blizzard doing something similar this time around. Lorewise it would be a big stretch, but Blizz has done it before. That said, I would also LOVE if the next expansion was a classic "South Seas" expansion, with Kul Tiras as just one zone along with Zandalar, Kezan, etc.

Will be one of the planets we'll invade during 7.3 lul.

On a serious note: as someone not so much into lore, I would first want to know, what's behind kultiras and why it can't be a mere quest hub?

And @mitotic: from what you're describing, it kinda sounds like your south seas xpac.

Quote Originally Posted by mitotic View Post
    Here's RedShirtGuy's map of what a Kul Tiras expansion might look like
    How to waste Azsahra and N'zoth in order to give a crappy, irrelevant island the focus: The Expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    If we must suffer an Azshara/Sea themed expansion, all I ask is that zones be on the same "map" and fairly close to one another. I'd really rather not have another incoherent expansion of playing "Whack-a-Mole!" like we had in Cataclysm.

Beyond that, due to a complete lack of interest in the theme, it makes very little difference to me whether or not Kul'tiras is a continent, or just an island. Though I should point out that, while the datamined names are noteworthy, it would be a monumentally stupid decision to center an entire expansion on Kul'tiras.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If anything, it would likely be a case of disjointed zones, of which Kul Tiras is one, just like in Cataclysm where many of the zones were in far reaching places. The ones you mentioned above would be the most likely.

I'm not sure how armor could 'make' it a continent. Kul Tiras is literally a city. How can one of the smallest nations, literally a city on an island, be a 'continent' with an entire expansion's worth of stuff?
    just from the fact wow isn't to scale, broken isles is a good example

Deleted
    I would be happy to have a continent, something like Northrend itself

RedShirtGuy from Blizzplanet recently argued that we're likely looking at an entire expansion with Kul Tiras as the main continent:

At first this made me sad, since I was looking forward to a South Seas expansion, but RedShirtGuy's expansion concept actually got me excited about a Kul Tiras continent. He suggests that in addition to the well-known human naval capital Boralus, it could also include long-awaited locations like Plunder Isle, Balor, Crestfall, and Galhara, along with perhaps a few areas near the Maelstrom like the Scintal Reef and Nazjatar. Blizz might be saving Zandalar for a later expansion, which could then also include Tel'Abim and what's left of Kezan.

Here's RedShirtGuy's map of what a Kul Tiras expansion might look like:

I had the same reaction. At first I was gutted at the idea of Kul'Tiras being used as a continent instead of a zone. Now I'm okay with it, especially since I've read Red Shirt Guy's article about it. He managed to give flesh to the content and to justify a whole expansion there. If managed to do so, I'm confident Blizzard will be able to if they want to. Still rooting for a proper South Seas expansion though.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner45 View Post
    just from the fact wow isn't to scale, broken isles is a good example
    Yep, this. If Azeroth would have real size, it would be much, much bigger. If you look into in universe data, it takes people several days to cross certain zones. Yet we, as players, can cross them in mere minutes, even in foot.

So if Blizzard would increase the zone size, it may seem "strange" from an ingame point of view, since it would look much larger than other zone, but would still not be wrong from an in universe point of view. I am pretty sure their capital could be much larger than Stormwind and would still have the right scale to be as large as it really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I don't agree. It would essentially be Broken Isles 2.0 in the same general area of the world map.

I don't think Blizzard would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Eh, I don't agree. It would essentially be Broken Isles 2.0 in the same general area of the world map.

I don't think Blizzard would do that.
    How would it be broken isles 2? It probably won't have elven ruins or tauren stuff or even vrkrul things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Yep, this. If Azeroth would have real size, it would be much, much bigger. If you look into in universe data, it takes people several days to cross certain zones. Yet we, as players, can cross them in mere minutes, even in foot.

So if Blizzard would increase the zone size, it may seem "strange" from an ingame point of view, since it would look much larger than other zone, but would still not be wrong from an in universe point of view. I am pretty sure their capital could be much larger than Stormwind and would still have the right scale to be as large as it really is.
    While all you say is true, that still doesn't change the fact that Kul'Tiras is barely more than a -city-. A small city, at that. It's like telling me that Dalaran 'isn't to scale' and is really the size of a continent that would take days to cross. Boralus alone accounts for half of the nation's population of ~10,000. Stormwind alone has a population of estimated 200,000.

(According to old maps, Kul'Tiras is slightly smaller than Gilneas, for what it's worth)
    Last edited by chazus; 2017-07-11 at 07:59 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, but their island would be more directed, more structured to their living. Unsure we would see it as the map shown. Kul'Tiras would be more, though not bigger than Stormwind but it would be bigger in reach, in the form of docks and construction.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

While all you say is true, that still doesn't change the fact that Kul'Tiras is barely more than a -city-. A small city, at that. It's like telling me that Dalaran 'isn't to scale' and is really the size of a continent that would take days to cross. Boralus alone accounts for half of the nation's population of ~10,000. Stormwind alone has a population of estimated 200,000.

(According to old maps, Kul'Tiras is slightly smaller than Gilneas, for what it's worth)
    There was more to the Island then just the city tho. It had untouched forests or what ever also. Besides when the Cataclysm apparently shifted it out of its original location it could have caused the rise of new land forms as well which could have quickly have new life on them be it from shamans/druids/mages or the arcane magics in the waters or some other crazy explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    I had the same reaction. At first I was gutted at the idea of Kul'Tiras being used as a continent instead of a zone. Now I'm okay with it, especially since I've read Red Shirt Guy's article about it. He managed to give flesh to the content and to justify a whole expansion there. If managed to do so, I'm confident Blizzard will be able to if they want to. Still rooting for a proper South Seas expansion though.
    He fleshed it out by adding in unrelated more interesting content. That is kinda the problem at hand, why even make it Kul Tiras?

A group of unpopulated islands would be interesting if the Naga and Void and Old Gods and Scourge set up shop there. If you have to import 3-4 unrelated threats to a region to make it interesting, you should probably just choose a region more suited to those threats. The Broken Isles carried itself because it was the location of the Tomb of Sargeras, that alone made it noteworthy. Kul Tiras is the location of a now incredibly small and minor naval kingdom that hasn't been relevant to most of the world for decades.

Hence why, when people make fan-concepts of a Kul Tiras expansion, it isn't actually about Kul Tiras, its about more interesting things coming to and completely changing Kul Tiras.

It's dumb and I really hope Blizzard isn't going to do it rather than actually use the locations suited to N'zoth and Azshara, which tend to be way more unique and interesting than generic continental habitats.

e.g.
    [1][2]
    [3][4]
    [5][6]
    [7][8]
    I have to hope the Dev team would rather make full use of the ability to do crazy, interesting locations rather than force themselves through another expansion of regular forests and mountains and coasts and valleys.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2017-07-11 at 08:27 AM.

Deleted
    I had the exact same reaction as you, believe me. But I also had that reaction about the Broken Isles -- it was supposed to be tiny! And yet Blizz made it a satisfying continent in the end.

Since Kul Tiras is a city state and Boralus is its capital city (kind of like Broken Isles and Suramar), I could see Blizzard doing something similar this time around. Lorewise it would be a big stretch, but Blizz has done it before. That said, I would also LOVE if the next expansion was a classic "South Seas" expansion, with Kul Tiras as just one zone along with Zandalar, Kezan, etc.
    Even though Legion zones are amazing, one problem I have with them is that they feel congested. Probably because Blizz tried to keep the zones as small as possible since they are just islands. I really miss having huge open zones like we had in Wrath or Outland.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    He fleshed it out by adding in unrelated more interesting content. That is kinda the problem at hand, why even make it Kul Tiras?

A group of unpopulated islands would be interesting if the Naga and Void and Old Gods and Scourge set up shop there. If you have to import 3-4 unrelated threats to a region to make it interesting, you should probably just choose a region more suited to those threats. The Broken Isles carried itself because it was the location of the Tomb of Sargeras, that alone made it noteworthy. Kul Tiras is the location of a now incredibly small and minor naval kingdom that hasn't been relevant to most of the world for decades.

Hence why, when people make fan-concepts of a Kul Tiras expansion, it isn't actually about Kul Tiras, its about more interesting things coming to and completely changing Kul Tiras.

It's dumb and I really hope Blizzard isn't going to do it rather than actually use the locations suited to N'zoth and Azshara, which tend to be way more unique and interesting than generic continental habitats.

e.g.
    [1][2]
    [3]
    [4]
    [5]
    [6]

[7]
    I have to hope the Dev team would rather make full use of the ability to do crazy, interesting locations rather than force themselves through another expansion of regular forests and mountains and coasts and valleys.
    I deeply agree, and again, I'm not rooting for Kul'Tiras as a continent, it would be kind of nonsense to me. I was just pointing out the fact that if it happens, it probably won't be as disastrous/boring as I first imagined it. Similar to the Broken Isles!

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    I deeply agree, and again, I'm not rooting for Kul'Tiras as a continent, it would be kind of nonsense to me. I was just pointing out the fact that if it happens, it probably won't be as disastrous/boring as I first imagined it. Similar to the Broken Isles!
    I'm sure Blizzard could make it a fantastic expansion. But I will still be annoyed if all that potential is reduced to a Nazjatar raid and a Ny'alotha patch zone or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    I'm sure Blizzard could make it a fantastic expansion. But I will still be annoyed if all that potential is reduced to a Nazjatar raid and a Ny'alotha patch zone or something to that effect.
    I feel you my friend, I feel you.