Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

WoW Devs - Time to get your player base involved

I believe Blizzrd really needs to start bringing in the community they've created into design ideas for their game.

Look at EVE Online. They listened to what their community really wanted and delivered and it worked out perfectly for them.

When I say bring in the community I mean stream Dev meetings, share ideas on certain gameplay aspects before you even start making it to get feedback if the people would like that.

The people have been calling for features that still havent been hinted on since i started in BC.

Instead they're spoon feeding us what they think is fun for them. I mean hell the community have come up with better alternatives to story then we've seen in Legion/WoD/MoP.

We also get the response to some ideas in the past "we dont have the funding" yet you can sink 150mil into a film and 100k into Mythic Dungeon Esports?!?! the last one is reason enough to get people involved. Who the hell wants to watch a team of 5 people clear Mythic dungeons competitively!!!
    Last edited by mmoc157db6de0e; 2017-07-12 at 08:11 AM.

No. Just no. This will end terribly.

Not possible.

Eve Online by default has more "mature" hardcore and tryhard players, anecdotal evidence obviously but i am 100% sure it is the case.

While WoW has "IF ALLERIA USES VOID DOES THAT MEAN SHE IS A SHADOWPRIEST -SLURP SPIT-" and

"I DONT WANNA RUN IRRELEVANT DUNGEONS IN 5MINS, PLEASE BLOOZARD FIX IT SO IT TAKES 1 HOUR SO I CAN REMEMBER VANILLA AND HOW I STILL CANT PLAY THE GAME PROPERLY"

"MY CLASS ISNT THE BEST IN PVP AND PVE WITH ONLY 3 BUTTONS, FIX"

"BLOOZARD I PAY 13E TOO, WHY DOES THIS PERSON HAS MOAR GEAR THAN ME? SJW SJW SJW, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, GIVE ME HIS GEAR OR I YELL AT FORUMS"

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivux View Post
    I believe Blizzrd really needs to start bringing in the community they've created into design ideas for their game.
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

You do not know better than the game's devs. I'm sorry, but no amount of screaming, "DUH YOU DID DIS WRONG BLIZZ" suddenly makes you know better. Sure, they do shit wrong all the time, but that doesn't mean they should turn to people with even less experience in the field, if not literally 0 experience, to do their jobs for them.

Deleted
    What if you could pay a little extra sub every month to unlock the ability to watch the meetings?

Even if they reach out to the well known youtubers who we know take it seriously like Nobel,Preacher etc. These guys generally reflect the opinion of the community and rather well.

What works for EVE wont work for WOW. the community is so diverse there could never be a consensus on anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    You do not know better than the game's devs. I'm sorry, but no amount of screaming, "DUH YOU DID DIS WRONG BLIZZ" suddenly makes you know better. Sure, they do shit wrong all the time, but that doesn't mean they should turn to people with even less experience in the field, if not literally 0 experience, to do their jobs for them.
    I dont have experience making WoW/ other MMOs but i believe my 5 Years in Games design degrees gives me a better understanding as to how shit works and how i can be done.

All that aside. You dont need experience, be a certain age or have a Degree to have a great idea or an opinion that can generally bring good to a game.

I absolutely disagree with most of the post. I only agree woth the story part. You might not realize but every player has a different opinion on various topics.
    While we may agree on a thing or three, we disagree on 10 things, developers already listen to a lot of feedback ESPECIALLY lately, and they aren't creating a game that they want, or that you want. They are making the game that makes the most money, which means a game that most people get addicted to or like. Just because you're loud doesn't mean you're right. As for the money thing... that's not how it works... They get the money from sponsors, they don't just throw the money away

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont have experience making WoW/ other MMOs but i believe my 5 Years in Games design degrees.
    The fuck is that? Game design is easy to learn but hard to master. You've got to have actual working experience to even think to dabble in game design of another game that is not of your making.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazar View Post
    I absolutely disagree with most of the post. I only agree woth the story part. You might not realize but every player has a different opinion on various topics.
    While we may agree on a thing or three, we disagree on 10 things, developers already listen to a lot of feedback ESPECIALLY lately, and they aren't creating a game that they want, or that you want. They are making the game that makes the most money, which means a game that most people get addicted to or like. Just because you're loud doesn't mean you're right. As for the money thing... that's not how it works... They get the money from sponsors, they don't just throw the money away
    But if they made a game were people knew the majority of the design decisions was open for talks and created with the imput of the player base surely a game like that would bring in more £££.

10+ Year Old Account
    All that aside. You dont need experience, be a certain age or have a Degree to have a great idea or an opinion that can generally bring good to a game.
    Ideas are worth less than paper they are written on. That's the first rule of game design, btw.

Deleted
    Easy to learn....okay bro

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Ideas are worth less than paper they are written on. That's the first rule of game design, btw.
    No it really isn't

I dont have experience making WoW/ other MMOs but i believe my 5 Years in Games design degrees gives me a better understanding as to how shit works and how i can be done.

In theory, no, you don't. But experience and age give you the knowledge to understand better what would work in the game and what would be a waste of a suggestion. And I highly doubt that WoW's playerbase is even made up of 10% of its players with that kind of knowledge. There's a reason they limit raid testing to guilds that have cleared Mythic AotC during betas. It's because they know what to expect, what to look for, what needs improving, etc.

When I say bring in the community I mean stream Dev meetings, share ideas on certain gameplay aspects before you even start making it to get feedback if the people would like that.
    So we can hear "Why didn't you implement X when you said you were thinking about it!" "Why didn't you implement Y after talking to us?"

Instead they're spoon feeding us what they think is fun for them. I mean hell the community have come up with better alternatives to story then we've seen in Legion/WoD/MoP.
    It's easy to come up with stuff on your own, but in the end whether it'd go better doesn't always mean it will. Blizzard knows what the future expansions hold, we don't so they have somewhat of a better idea of what route to take. Not everyone will agree with people's story writing. Some think Blizzard's is better, some think random person A's is better, etc.

We also get the response to some ideas in the past "we dont have the funding" yet you can sink 150mil into a film and 100k into Mythic Dungeon Esports?!?! the last one is reason enough to get people involved. Who the hell wants to watch a team of 5 people clear Mythic dungeons competitively!!!
    You do realize the "funding" is different areas. They aren't going to take funding from one area to supple area B just because. That's like people complaining of "hire more people!" More doesn't always equate to better or faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy to learn....okay bro
    You wasted 5 years of your time for something you could've read in a book over a month. Did you get the paper at least?

No it really isn't
    It really is. Game design is not about ideas. Anyone can generate an idea, even a janitor from a building across the street.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    You do realize the "funding" is different areas. They aren't going to take funding from one area to supple area B just because
    Titan MMO and looked what happened there

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I understand it Blizzard already pay attention to community ideas via the forums. I think the problem is that a lot of people assume that because Blizzard didn't listen to their idea that Blizzard is ignoring good ideas.

Reality is more likely that the idea was either shit, or simply got lost in the noise, trumped by other better ideas.

Look at EVE Online. They listened to what their community really wanted and delivered and it worked out perfectly for them.
    The community never has a unified opinion on what it wants. More often than not if you listen to everyone, you'll see that "the community" wants diametrically opposed things simultaneously.

They already share ideas before implementation. As for streaming dev meetings....no thanks. I would hate it as a developer and it would absolutely have a negative impact on any team to deliver a good product.

The people have been calling for features that still havent been hinted on since i started in BC.
    Who are "the people"? These people? Those people? People who agree with you? Any given group is likely a minority of the total player base.

We also get the response to some ideas in the past "we dont have the funding" yet you can sink 150mil into a film and 100k into Mythic Dungeon Esports?!?!
    Irrelevant. Each item budgetted for is presumably assessed for feasibility. Just because they thought that spending $150M on the movie (did they even spend that? sounds very dubious to me) for which they might be expecting to make a profit doesn't mean that they should waste money on a feature that will be difficult to implement and bring little or no value to their game. And including two items with a factor of 1500 difference in the same sentence just demonstrates that you have zero concept of scale. $100K = 0.06% of $150M. It's absolutely and completely insignificant. It's like the 1c you save when you buy something for $13.99.

the last one is reason enough to get people involved. Who the hell wants to watch a team of 5 people clear Mythic dungeons competitively!!!
    They probably got the idea from fan feedback....

10+ Year Old Account

I've played both...

You do know that the money spent on the movie didn't come from Blizzard, right?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    While WoW has "IF ALLERIA USES VOID DOES THAT MEAN SHE IS A SHADOWPRIEST -SLURP SPIT-" and

"I DONT WANNA RUN IRRELEVANT DUNGEONS IN 5MINS, PLEASE BLOOZARD FIX IT SO IT TAKES 1 HOUR SO I CAN REMEMBER VANILLA AND HOW I STILL CANT PLAY THE GAME PROPERLY"

"MY CLASS ISNT THE BEST IN PVP AND PVE WITH ONLY 3 BUTTONS, FIX"

"BLOOZARD I PAY 13E TOO, WHY DOES THIS PERSON HAS MOAR GEAR THAN ME? SJW SJW SJW, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, GIVE ME HIS GEAR OR I YELL AT FORUMS"
    I think that's the MMO.