Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Who do you think are the best indie devs?

Supergiant games came out with their new game Pyre which will mark their third game and it has been getting great reviews and is sitting at a 85 on Opencritic right now. It got me thinking that I think Supergiant is currently one of, if not the best, indie devs in the business. Both Bastion and Transistor were highly acclaimed and not only that, but none of their games are sequels, which means they aren't piggybacking off of past successes. They've created 3 very unique titles and maintained high quality throughout.

I was wondering if you think there are any other indie devs that surpass Supergiant or just indie devs in general that are great as well.

Deleted
    If GGG still count as Indie, then they get my vote for sure. Path of Exile more than holds his own against Blizzards Diablo 3, which damn impressive.

Probably Nintendo.

No but seriously I like all of Edmund McMillen / Team Meats games.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Probably Nintendo.
    Nintendo isn't a indie dev....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Comburo View Post
    If GGG still count as Indie, then they get my vote for sure. Path of Exile more than holds his own against Blizzards Diablo 3, which damn impressive.
    They definitely do and it really is impressive that PoE can actually legitimately compete against a Blizzard title.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really say which are the best. How do you even define that?

I really like Hollow Knight, so I guess they are great indie developers?

But then there are cases like Fez, which is a good game, perhaps even great, but was developed by complete and utter asshat.

Terraria is still receiving free updates (slowly), and it's a great game.

Then there are the developers behind Limbo and Inside. Both awesome games, if little mysterious. Enjoyed both, especially Limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nintendo isn't a indie dev....
    Read the next 3 words. :P
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-07-25 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Read the next 3 words. :P
    At the time I reply'ed the rest of that wasn't there

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    They definitely do and it really is impressive that PoE can actually legitimately compete against a Blizzard title.
    I would say it does more then compete...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    CD Projekt Red

Blizzard Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    CD Projekt Red

Blizzard Entertainment
    Go away /10char

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd give nods to The Behemoth, Playdead, and ConcernedApe. It's hard to say who's the best in the field, but I feel like they have some solid entries on the table.

Deleted
    WayForward would be my vote. Known for their Shantae and Mighty Series on Nintendo, and of course Duck Tales: Remastered - yet they worked with a lot of different IPs and Publishers, across many systems. They really know how to make some challenging, yet fun, 2D-Plattformers / Puzzle Games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Comburo View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this. Not only do they do amazing work on PoE, but the way they interact with their fans is amazing.

I was on the PoE Reddit a while back, and a new player asked some question about mechnics. The first reply was this huge wall of text, explaining in detail the answer the guy needed. I sat back for a second and thought "Wow, this dude really likes the game, can't believe he typed all that".

Then I checked who had posted it.

It was Chris Wilson, lead dev for GGG. I checked his profile and not only was it really him, but the dude posts on the games Reddit quite often. Answering questions, giving advice and generally interacting with people on there.

If that isn't customer service, I don't know what is
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Digital Extremes. Whilst not tiny, I would still call them Independent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisha View Post
    WayForward would be my vote. Known for their Shantae and Mighty Series on Nintendo, and of course Duck Tales: Remastered - yet they worked with a lot of different IPs and Publishers, across many systems. They really know how to make some challenging, yet fun, 2D-Plattformers / Puzzle Games.
    I'm sure they're talented but looking at that list, it seems like they have a ton of licensed shovelware under their belt. Hardly worthy of being considered one of the greatest. Just because Shantae is good doesn't make them worthy.

Also they constantly work with publishers. I'm talking true indies.
    Last edited by Poppincaps; 2017-07-25 at 07:14 PM.

Amanita Design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    I'd give nods to The Behemoth, Playdead, and ConcernedApe. It's hard to say who's the best in the field, but I feel like they have some solid entries on the table.
    ConcernedApe (aka Stardew Valley dev) doesn't really have the library yet. It takes exceptional skill to make a standout game but that doesn't necessarily mean your next outing will match its greatness. Playdead and The Behemoth have multiple well received games that I feel makes them worth consideration.

There are no Indian game devs that I can recall.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    ConcernedApe (aka Stardew Valley dev) doesn't really have the library yet. It takes exceptional skill to make a standout game but that doesn't necessarily mean your next outing will match its greatness. Playdead and The Behemoth have multiple well received games that I feel makes them worth consideration.
    I think that's fair to say for ConcernedApe. He does just have the one title under his belt, and would fall flat in side-to-side comparisons for talks of the best studios. That said, I really have been impressed with the way he's supported Stardew Valley post-launch and continued to interact with the community.

Also, they're not really my sort of games, but I imagine a nod should be sent towards Scott Cawthon for the wild success of the FNAF series.

I fucking love Supergiant.

Also Moon studio, Ori and the blind forest was a masterpiece and I'm dripping wet for the second one.

Klei Entertainment
    Mark of the Ninja and Invisible Inc are brilliant
    Don't Starve gets high ratings as well, though haven't played it
    Shank 1 & 2 are a little stupid but fun for a while