Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

HuffPost goes out in search of Middle America

Having made its name as a home for liberals and the blog posts of coastal elites, the recently renamed HuffPost is seeking to reinforce its new, less partisan image with a seven-week bus tour through Middle America to “listen and learn what it means to be American today,” the site will announce on Thursday.

Starting in September, a traveling party of rotating HuffPost staff members led by editor-in-chief Lydia Polgreen will visit more than 20 cities, eschewing the coasts for the likes of Fort Wayne, Indiana, Oxford, Mississippi and Odessa, Texas. At each city, the site will host events, roll out planned stories with local media outlets, send out reporters to write about the communities and collect stories from residents “in their own words.”

It’s a unique project for a media organization that made its name as the crusading home for progressives, even attaching a note to each story during the election about then-candidate Donald Trump calling him a “xenophobe,” “racist” and “misogynist.” (The tag was removed on Election Day.) Founder Arianna Huffington created The Huffington Post in 2004 to be a liberal version of the Drudge Report.

Read more:*http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...america-240476
    I think this is a great idea and it's nice to see the media class attempting to understand the average American. I'm not super optimistic that they will come away understanding middle America better, but I think it's great that they are trying.

Oh look, more of this "rural is good, urban is bad" horse shit the media's been feeding us this the dawn of fucking time.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netscape View Post
    I think this is a great idea and it's nice to see the media class attempting to understand the average American. I'm not super optimistic that they will come away understanding middle America better, but I think it's great that they are trying.
    I am sure their report will be "RACIST DEVILS LIVE HERE AND WE NEED TO REFORM THESE SAVAGES!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Oh look, more of this "rural is good, urban is bad" horse shit the media's been feeding us this the dawn of fucking time.
    I don't care if someone wants to live in an urban, suburban or rural area, people should have the right to choose which type of society they'd like to live in. The problem is that a lot of the media and hollywood elites are out of touch with middle Americans. Most of them don't attempt to understand people who are different from them, but instead demonize such people as being idiots or racist.

I don't care if someone wants to live in an urban, suburban or rural area, people should have the right to choose which type of society they'd like to live in. The problem is that a lot of the media and hollywood elites are out of touch with middle Americans. Most of them don't attempt to understand people who are different from them, but instead demonize such people as being idiots or racist.
    So instead they should demonize the evil costal elite who are out of touch with the poor rural real Americans in middle America? Over half the US population lives in coastal states. Why aren't the evil coastal elites considered average Americans?

So instead they should demonize the evil costal elite who are out of touch with the poor rural real Americans in middle America? Over half the US population lives in coastal states. Why aren't the evil coastal elites considered average Americans?
    Last time I checke, middle America wasn't writing hitpieces about le ebil racist fly over country and then wondering why they keep losing elections.

Last time I checke, middle America wasn't writing hitpieces about le ebil racist fly over country and then wondering why they keep losing elections.
    You clearly haven't seen how they treat states like California and New York.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, I mean they are elite, and not in touch? Should we lie to them about it?
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Well, I mean they are elite, and not in touch? Should we lie to them about it?
    Yeah, yeah, it's always the urban people who are evil and the rural dumbasses are the good and noble ones who represent everything good and pure in the world.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, yeah, it's always the urban people who are evil and the rural dumbasses are the good and noble ones who represent everything good and pure in the world.
    Did I say such things?

Deleted
    Well, to be absolutely honest, everyone from Helsinki I've ever met, being the biggest coastal town in Finland, has been pretty much a complete and utter elitist douchebag who shits on everyone from outside "Kehä 3", which is like a "capital city boundary" we have down there; a road...which put me off moving there back like 25 years ago when I was first thinking about it once I turn 18. So I mean, I dunno if the same goes for the US. Can't really blame people living in smaller towns, and not liking big city people, when I'm basically one of them, just in Finnish terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, to be absolutely honest, everyone from Helsinki I've ever met, being the biggest coastal town in Finland, has been pretty much a complete and utter elitist douchebag who shits on everyone from outside "Kehä 3", which is like a "capital city boundary" we have down there; a road...which put me off moving there back like 25 years ago when I was first thinking about it once I turn 18. So I mean, I dunno if the same goes for the US. Can't really blame people living in smaller towns, and not liking big city people, when I'm basically one of them, just in Finnish terms.
    And rural people always act like smug assholes and think they're better and more important because they live in bumfuck nowhere.

I am sure their report will be "RACIST DEVILS LIVE HERE AND WE NEED TO REFORM THESE SAVAGES!"
    Fake news, they can't be reformed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It's really hard to watch Fox news or listen to Hannity/Limbaugh/etc. without hearing them disparage the "coastal elitists" or referring to their heartland listeners as "Real Americans." So yeah, they are just as guilty.

Needs some Wyoming and Dakotas. Middle America is Great Plains, not the South and Southwest. Indiana's a good start but these locations are generally poorly chosen.

Deleted
    And rural people always act like smug assholes and think they're better and more important because they live in bumfuck nowhere.
    Well, I mean, in Finland, the smug assholes tend to live on the coasts, and quite frankly, the whole of this country is bumfuck nowhere, so that's not really an issue here.

Deleted
    hollywood elites are out of touch with middle Americans.
    Didn't they just elect a "hollywood elite" as a president?.

What is with people always trying to paint the average american as racists? No, that isn't average.

Did I say such things?
    Yea, you have, not on this thread though
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? You never heard of the welfare queen? No one is blaming the popular vote loss on illegal immigrants? No one is saying they are fake Americans? No one is saying they are faking science to attack middle America?

You are expressing a victim complex... not some group, you are...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Didn't they just elect a "hollywood elite" as a president?.
    Yes, as well as a NYC elite. Trump doesn't have much business in middle America and the left attacked him over his business dealing and integrity, which had nothing to do with middle America.

You want to see insulting? There were 3 million more people who voted for Hillary, yet... the majority of voters, still don't represent the avarage American? Not because of math, but because of the... what? Can I call it hate? What's the adjective here?

But, it's those states that are wondering why they lost... let's completely ignore that Trump just last week demanded states to hand over voter registration roles. So, while these evil liberals contemplate their loss, Trump is actually spending tax payer dollars to investigate why he lost the popular vote.

Seriously, WTF?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    What is with people always trying to paint the average american as racists? No, that isn't average.
    I think asking how the avarage American is defined, is a better question. We can use numbers based on voting results. But, that would make Hillary the choice for the avarage. Mathematics tell you that the Hillary voter represents the average American, simply by having 3 million more of them. If not that... then what? What exactly determined that Hilary voters are not avarage Americans? What unbiased, objective reasoning led you there?

How the fuck is this avarage American bullshit generated, if not it self being pejorative, against the majority of voting Americans? You cannot bitch about liberals or DNC, ignoring the avarage American... they are not the ones telling you to ignore California voters, because... well... why?

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be clear on what happened in this elections.

You had Donald Trump, whose resume is of a NYC elite, who has more business on each continent, then he does middle America. A man who has done nothing, but avoid middle America his whole life.

Then, you had Hillary, who was born to a middle income home in Illinois. Bill was born in Arkansas. Hillary was First Lady of Arkansas, as well as winning mother of the year and woman of the year... in Arkansas... Clinton Library wasn't built in Brooklyn, it was built in Little Rock.

Yet, it was Trump that knew middle America? Don't tell me it's his policy, because the little detail we had, would favor ralativley exclusive to people like NYC elites. So, what was it? What made Trunp the middle America vote? Because he told you that voting for him made you a real American? That he told you have been the victim of people like him? Was it the illegals that also made him lose the popular vote? Maybe scaring you with Muslims? What exactly made a NYC elite, more in touch with middle America, than a person who was born, lived, worked and won awards in middle America?

Tell me it was something other than Trump scamming you, by appealing to your insecurity? I'd like an explanation from a real American. I spent a couple of years in Trump's Brooklyn, NYC, property in the 90s... I bet that cancels me out as a real American...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi