Deleted

Soaking big armageddon as spriest

Hey,
    in a normal tos run earlier someone said he saw a shadow priest soak a big armageddon and survive it, but I cant figure out how.
    Dispersion is only a 60% dmg reduction and armageddon does 15.9 mio dmg on impact.
    Is there something I´m missing or did this person just not see that the shadow did get an external cd?
    I´m new on my priest so I´m kinda lacking a bit of know-how

thanks in advance!

So it's physical damage so factor in the damage reduction given by your armor value which is probably 10-15% or something, shadowform reduces physical damage done to you by another 10%, the 60% from disperse, a few hundred thousand PW:S absorb, any absorb added by our VT artifact trait thing and it's technically possible. You would want to cast dispersion SUPER late so that the healing tick from it would let you not immediately die from the next dot tick.

Also a disc priest PW:S can be into the millions of absorb so that could play a factor as well. With all that in mind, for normal you'd only need like 4-4.5mil or so health to survive, +/- due to PW:S absorb from Disc if available.

Deleted
    The dmg might scale down a little when grp size is small, but probably that dude just missed something. Maybe he used Prydaz for +1m. absorb or got PW:S from Disc. Dispersion only is not enough in big grps, and most probably very risky even in 10man

I soak big armageddons with my own PW:S and Dispersion in our normal runs, usually around 10-12 people.

If I don't get hit by anything else (Bursting Dreadflames) and no meteors explode, I survive with 5-10% HP. It's risky, but it rarely kills me.

It's possible the healers are using some additional shield or CD whenever it's my turn, but nothing they felt was worth mentioning.

7+ Year Old Account
    With roughly 3.6 million HP and no Prydaz, I could soak the big Armageddons with just my own Power Word: Shield and Dispersion for a 15-player group. This used to leave me with roughly 15-20% hp remaining. However, now that I am using Prydaz and have better gear (resulting in 4.07 million hp), I quite often survive with an amount of health that is more towards 50%.
    All in all, if you do not have any alternatives, soaking the big Armageddon's with a Shadow Priest is a viable alternative for a group of up to 15 players (assuming the Priest's gear is good enough).
    Last edited by Akonji; 2017-07-19 at 04:08 PM.

Does Armageddon's damage even scale with group size? Since it's something you soak alone, as opposed to a 'split among all targets hit' mechanic, I can't see why group size would affect the damage of it.

if you ask for an external cd like ironbark or sacri you can easily soak it

otherwise it's iffy in low gear
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-07-19 at 06:06 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow mend talent + PWS + Dispersion + Legendary absorb trinket + mental fortitude artifact talent.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2017-07-23 at 01:46 PM.

External CDs are a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by qactuar View Post
    Does Armageddon's damage even scale with group size? Since it's something you soak alone, as opposed to a 'split among all targets hit' mechanic, I can't see why group size would affect the damage of it.
    The big armageddon was intended to be soaked by a few, but every1 just uses immunities.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    The tooltip says:

"Calls a massive meteor down on a location. The meteor impacts after 7 sec., inflicting 14,175,000 Physical damage immediately and an additional 571,000 Physical damage every 2 sec. for 10 sec to any players hit. This effect stacks."

I wouldn't think that means the damage was intended to be soaked by more than one person. Those abilities usually say things like "split among all players" or something to that effect.

I'm sure it's possible in normal as everyone else has said, but why would you?
    Every normal group will have enough tanks, paladins, mages, hunters, rogues, dhs or others with 100% immunities to cover every single one. Not to mention that you won't be able to soak it on heroic anyway which I assume most of you will step in to later on if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailylia View Post
    The tooltip says:

"Calls a massive meteor down on a location. The meteor impacts after 7 sec., inflicting 14,175,000 Physical damage immediately and an additional 571,000 Physical damage every 2 sec. for 10 sec to any players hit. This effect stacks."

I wouldn't think that means the damage was intended to be soaked by more than one person. Those abilities usually say things like "split among all players" or something to that effect.
    Ah, my mistake. I did remember reading on wowhead roles on multi-soaking the big one, but people just cheezed it with immunities. Apparently, immunities and tanks w/e felclaws are the hail soakers.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I have tried to soak by myself in a raid of 15-20 people an no luck what so ever. I get hit between 6-7mil of damage.

would be helpful if there was something else that I could do as we are really short on classes sometimes that can soak

I guess you could on normal, but I don't see why unless you have literally no one else who can do it

On heroic I don't think you can unless you got a big external in addition to dispersion and shields.. which is risky and impractical

There's so many other people who can do it

damage goes up as group gets bigger. I soaked it before in a group of 13 and then tried again when we had 20 and just fell over

Quote Originally Posted by Akonji View Post
    With roughly 3.6 million HP and no Prydaz, I could soak the big Armageddons with just my own Power Word: Shield and Dispersion for a 15-player group.
    Stop lying.

Homophobia is so gay.

Deleted
    Why would you want it, thats what huntards are for