Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question is mm the best spec for tos?

Looking through the hc and mythic logs on warcraflogs, i see higher mm parses than bm on many bosses, is it fair to say mm is the best spec for raiding??

Maybe bosses like avatar where there is heavy movement you can go bm, i like mm's: solid single target, great target switching, great sustained aoe from volley etc.

What your opinion?

Yes MM is better, and it's far enough ahead on dps (if played correctly, and movement is managed correctly) that even on high movement fights like Avatar, MM is the better spec.

MM wins both AoE and ST by a decent margin. BM still has a place in raid sure, but MM is the stronger spec on every boss, if you can play it correctly.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    with the correct gear, yes

For AoE fights definitely.

For ST, play whichever you're better at.

Deleted
    MM is better (assuming equal gear) than BM on every fight other than mythic avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiite View Post
    MM is better (assuming equal gear) than BM on every fight other than mythic avatar.
    It's not better, they both work for the job, MM does more dmg, but you have to be excellent at movement management.

another thread of "will be my D be bigger if a play xxx spec?"

Quote Originally Posted by Geran View Post
    another thread of "will be my D be bigger if a play xxx spec?"
    well... will it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Deleted
    It depends on what you regard as "best".

In terms of pure damage numbers, MM wins hands down. But it comes at a trade-off of limited movement and a harder rotation to master (imo).
    BM is the easy spec to play, and you can perform your entire rotation while holding down WASD-keys, hence it does 15%-ish less dps in equal gear (on single target).

So for a less capable player (or one who likes an easy rotation), who isnt raiding hardcore, who wouldnt be able to get the full potential out of MM, BM would be the better spec. Even with the new MM changes, the skill ceiling is so much higher with MM and you get punished for messing up the rotation so much more than you do with BM.

So it depends alot of how good you are as a player, and how hard you want the game to be.
    Last edited by mmoc02442228ec; 2017-07-20 at 12:33 PM.

I have to agree with Ganthar, MM does produce better numbers when pushed to full potential but for an average player BM could preform better.
    Personally I'm not one of the best players but I can play the BM stomp build at 95-98% potential, while i can only manage about 70-80% with MM.
    Add to that the movement, and BM does better DPS for me than MM.
    I am currently one of the top DPS in my little Heroic only guild and if I switch to MM i'm middle of the pack...
    So yeah it highly depends on the skill of the player since the MM skill cap is much higher than BM.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you don't know how to play MM, BM hunters WILL destroy you on aoe and ST. If you don't fully know the fights and when to move, BM hunters will destroy you. If you mess up your vulnerable window, BM hunters will destroy you. MM is better on paper but you need a deep understanding of mechanics to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    I have to agree with Ganthar, MM does produce better numbers when pushed to full potential but for an average player BM could preform better.
    Personally I'm not one of the best players but I can play the BM stomp build at 95-98% potential, while i can only manage about 70-80% with MM.
    I am currently one of the top DPS in my little Heroic only guild and if I switch to MM i'm middle of the pack...
    So yeah it highly depends on the skill of the player since the MM skill cap is much higher than BM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    If you don't know how to play MM, BM hunters WILL destroy you on aoe and ST. If you don't fully know the fights and when to move, BM hunters will destroy you. If you mess up your vulnerable window, BM hunters will destroy you. MM is better on paper but you need a deep understanding of mechanics to do well.
    Totally agree with those statements. I tried MM a few times, but I just can't get the grasp of it, if there is movement involved.
    I'm in the same boat as Ishan. One of the Top DDs in my guild (atm 9/9 HC and about to start Mythic) and usually get 95th to 99th percentile as BM on most Heroic ToS fights, but if I switch to MM, I parse somewhere in the 60-90th percentile range and drop to middle of the pack, so there is no much use for me to go MM over BM unless I put much time into practicing it.
    Since I don't really enjoy the turret style of MM, I will just stay BM for now and see if we get any buffs. But even if not, it's enough dps for my guild and I enjoy the playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by andreasels View Post
    Totally agree with those statements. I tried MM a few times, but I just can't get the grasp of it, if there is movement involved.
    I'm in the same boat as Ishan. One of the Top DDs in my guild (atm 9/9 HC and about to start Mythic) and usually get 95th to 99th percentile as BM on most Heroic ToS fights, but if I switch to MM, I parse somewhere in the 60-90th percentile range and drop to middle of the pack, so there is no much use for me to go MM over BM unless I put much time into practicing it.
    Since I don't really enjoy the turret style of MM, I will just stay BM for now and see if we get any buffs. But even if not, it's enough dps for my guild and I enjoy the playstyle.
    Yea, when you do mechanics, a BM will keep his dps higher than a MM hunter, unless you can time it within your shots.
    Still in movement fights I mostly out damage my fellow BM hunters in the guild, but my dps is 250k less than it could be, but they still get the orange rankings and I manage to get purple.. But you should be in it for the kill; thus helping in the fight.

Some good advice here. I love having BM hunters in my raid, because they can do almost all of the mechanics w/o sacrificing dps. This is wonderful for any guild that isn't cutting edge progression. Maybe their theoretical dps isn't up to par with MM, but they are always consistent and reliable. Mechanic RNG targeting doesn't affect them. Bad positioning of bosses doesn't affect them. Bad luck really doesn't affect them. Sure at the end of the day, maybe they are on the lower half of the dps meters, but there is no meter for number of voluntary mechanics done correctly, which is probably more important anyway.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterforlife View Post
    O ya spec score. Lol rankings don't matter unless you're cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    O ya spec score. Lol rankings don't matter unless you're cutting edge.
    IKR, who cares how much damage a dps class spec does, pfft.

10+ Year Old Account
    If youre a mythic raid progression team you might care about a small percentile of overall DPS. If youre a heroic grinding casual, play whatever the hell you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterforlife View Post
    IKR, who cares how much damage a dps class spec does, pfft.
    I can tell you "raid dps" isnt the reason we were wiping on the earlier bosses(now 4/9M only twice a week raiding guild) lol, it usually never is.

Sometimes in fights there is a hard enrage like Krosus or specific points in a fight where it makes mechanics easier but for the most part mechanics matter a hell of a lot more than dps

Right now I am playing MM on our farm bosses and BM on progression. I hadnt played MM since EN so just not used to it yet. I think you should choose the spec you need for the boss you are on. Both are good in certain situations its not ALL just about an end DPS number. It also depends on your raid comp
    Last edited by Nubulous; 2017-07-23 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    alot of it is also due to gear... ive just started playing hunter main this tier.. 7/9M US 17th guild. Played boomkin for last 5 years went hunter because ive hated boomkins play style all EN/TOV/NH (even if they did become OP in TOS)

Anyways I play BM main have almost full 99% logs for heroic and 80%+ for mythic (private logs though) Over last 2 weeks ive been practicing MM for Avatar/KJ and even though i find myself still fucking up alot MM does almost the same damage playing it bad at my 931 ilvl using ring+prydaz/gloves (dont have boots yet) as I do in BM.

The biggest thing with MM vs BM is gear. at 910 ilvl BM and MM are within like 20k dps on sims... When you look at 930+ sims that gap grows to like 100k at 940 BIS Sims MM is like 160k ahead of BM.. BM does not scale well with gear so every piece of Mythic gear you get makes the ammount of mistakes you can make in MM and still be better than BM bigger...