Affliction Multidotting (with SL)

When multidotting with 2, 3, 4, 5+ targets, at what point do you stop applying one of the three dots?

For 2 targets I find it quite manageable to dot both up with A, C, and SL, as well as perform drain cycles on the main target without allowing maintenance dots to drop.

At 3 targets, three dots is manageable however drain cycles become hard to fit in without dots falling off (granted you would normally be using WiA build for 3 targets but humor me here).

At 4 targets, I find it kind of rough applying Agony and SL (and using SoC to apply Corruption).

I suppose I just need some clarification on the nuances of dot management at various numbers of targets.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    dont use SL, use soul coundit or death's embrace

Quote Originally Posted by Melzan View Post
    When multidotting with 2, 3, 4, 5+ targets, at what point do you stop applying one of the three dots?

For 2 targets I find it quite manageable to dot both up with A, C, and SL, as well as perform drain cycles on the main target without allowing maintenance dots to drop.

At 3 targets, three dots is manageable however drain cycles become hard to fit in without dots falling off (granted you would normally be using WiA build for 3 targets but humor me here).

At 4 targets, I find it kind of rough applying Agony and SL (and using SoC to apply Corruption).

I suppose I just need some clarification on the nuances of dot management at various numbers of targets.

Thanks in advance.
    What situation are we talking about here? Just seems like you are making harder for yourself as multi-dotting and MG contradict one another. The same with SL and MG to a point however the impact is smaller (at least in sims).

Do you hate WiA? That is fine but seems then silly to me to try to play like you would with WiA. WiA also opens itself up to AC more on certain fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    dont use SL, use soul coundit or death's embrace
    Ah, I see, I've just reread the source I'm using and I absolutely just misread it. My mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeyshadow View Post
    What situation are we talking about here? Just seems like you are making harder for yourself as multi-dotting and MG contradict one another. The same with SL and MG to a point however the impact is smaller (at least in sims).

Do you hate WiA? That is fine but seems then silly to me to try to play like you would with WiA. WiA also opens itself up to AC more on certain fights.
    It was more a situation where you may have a single target, however with the intermittent addition of adds. Like Sasszine or Harjatan fights?

Unless of course you would in fact go WiA on these fights, which I admit I haven't been. So far its been a case of going MG but chucking agony on each add.

SL is good for demonic inquisition.
    MG and SL are also a good source of steady reliable ST damage if you don't like the rng heavy gameplay of SC or don't have any good legendaries that profit from SC like the Chest or the belt.
    You never throw SL on adds unless you know the full duration of the DoT goes through.

I also heavily recommend going WiA on Harjatan and Sazzine. So you can drain soul snipe the low hp adds and keep chunking UAs and seeds on the bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mineral4r7s View Post
    MG and SL are also a good source of steady reliable ST damage if you don't like the rng heavy gameplay of SC or don't have any good legendaries that profit from SC like the Chest or the belt.
    You never throw SL on adds unless you know the full duration of the DoT goes through.

I also heavily recommend going WiA on Harjatan and Sazzine. So you can drain soul snipe the low hp adds and keep chunking UAs and seeds on the bosses.
    Thats a big help, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Melzan View Post
    It was more a situation where you may have a single target, however with the intermittent addition of adds. Like Sasszine or Harjatan fights?

Unless of course you would in fact go WiA on these fights, which I admit I haven't been. So far its been a case of going MG but chucking agony on each add.
    So going from the statistics with Harj (normal or heroic) https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...ntinfo=Talents either MG or WiA are almost equal choices. So then pick your favourite/whatever you are best with. It also depends on your group's tactics and how far they make you move.

It can vary but if you play with MG on a multi-target fight where you are focusing boss/do not have to DPS very short lived adds (something like Harj murlocs) then just tag them for WoC and souls (usually with Corruption/Seed if they are stacked as Agony doesn't have chance to warm up) and tunnel the main target and drain it.

If an add lives a little longer but you still do not have to focus it you can start applying Agony as well for extra shards. Icy adds on Spellblade was a good example of this. Maiden on Fallen Avatar as well assuming you can get away with one DoT on her and use it to increase your single target damage on the Avatar. On heroic personally I prefer WiA to deal with the incresed movement but on normal I'll tend to use MG still.

Once you have to start moving more (think Mistress) or have a lot of adds to tag (Mistress/Desolate) or even two constant targets (DI) then it's unlikely you can find enough time to drain for MG to be worth taking (unless you really really need to focus single target damage but for my guild we get overrun with adds). MG is not just about draining the UAs, all of our DoTs hit pretty hard now so you'll want a decent uptime regardless. If you cannot that is when usually you will want to take WiA.

On (norm/hc) Mistress, DI and Desolate WiA is really strong. DI is personally the only boss I take SL on in the whole raid as like you said before globals are really important for multidotting. The more agonies you have rolling the more UAs you will need to use up. Again go through the statistics page above for each fight and you can see which talents tend to do better. However, that is for overall damage and if you need to focus on one part then change your gameplan.

Like Mineral said drain sniping adds is really important in order to pump in more UAs. Also don't forget draining entirely when you have nothing else to do as it will still give Rend Soul procs (assuming you have the 4th golden).

Also have a read of this site http://lockonestopshop.com/#!/Affliction/Introduction if you haven't yet.

Does this all make sense to you?
    Last edited by SpikeySquad; 2017-07-25 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeyshadow View Post
    So going from the statistics with Harj (normal or heroic) https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...ntinfo=Talents either MG or WiA are almost equal choices. So then pick your favourite/whatever you are best with. It also depends on your group's tactics and how far they make you move.

It can vary but if you play with MG on a multi-target fight where you are focusing boss/do not have to DPS very short lived adds (something like Harj murlocs) then just tag them for WoC and souls (usually with Corruption/Seed if they are stacked as Agony doesn't have chance to warm up) and tunnel the main target and drain it.

If an add lives a little longer but you still do not have to focus it you can start applying Agony as well for extra shards. Icy adds on Spellblade was a good example of this. Maiden on Fallen Avatar as well assuming you can get away with one DoT on her and use it to increase your single target damage on the Avatar. On heroic personally I prefer WiA to deal with the incresed movement but on normal I'll tend to use MG still.

Once you have to start moving more (think Mistress) or have a lot of adds to tag (Mistress/Desolate) or even two constant targets (DI) then it's unlikely you can find enough time to drain for MG to be worth taking (unless you really really need to focus single target damage but for my guild we get overrun with adds). MG is not just about draining the UAs, all of our DoTs hit pretty hard now so you'll want a decent uptime regardless. If you cannot that is when usually you will want to take WiA.

On (norm/hc) Mistress, DI and Desolate WiA is really strong. DI is personally the only boss I take SL on in the whole raid as like you said before globals are really important for multidotting. The more agonies you have rolling the more UAs you will need to use up. Again go through the statistics page above for each fight and you can see which talents tend to do better. However, that is for overall damage and if you need to focus on one part then change your gameplan.

Like Mineral said drain sniping adds is really important in order to pump in more UAs. Also don't forget draining entirely when you have nothing else to do as it will still give Rend Soul procs (assuming you have the 4th golden).

Also have a read of this site http://lockonestopshop.com/#!/Affliction/Introduction if you haven't yet.

Does this all make sense to you?
    Yes, thank you, you've pretty much knocked my question on the head there with that answer.

I've been trying stuff without SL and have to see it makes a huge difference in how things feel after freeing up that extra global.

I appreciate the effort you put in there, thanks!

Death's Embrace is pretty darn good on fights like inquisition that share health.