Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Coming back to WoW, looking at playing a Monk - how are they at the moment?

I've always been interested in playing Monk and I'm thinking of picking it up this time around, how are they? Not just dps output, also play style.
    'Do you know what the chain of command is? The chain of command is the chain I go get and start beating you with until you learn who is in command!' - Jayne Cobb

Playstyle: fun!
    Numbers wise: among the worst specs (WW). And one of the best tanks for mythic progression. Can't say anything about MW.

There is no "monk" in WoW. There are Windwalker, Brewmaster and Mistweaver. Please specify what you're interested in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    There is no "monk" in WoW. There are Windwalker, Brewmaster and Mistweaver. Please specify what you're interested in.
    Yea so whole class isn't called monk? Don't be so ahead of urself or you will lack something behind you mate

@OT
    WW monks are very, very strong in PVP. Also they are quite good mythic+. Raiding they are well... like 7%~ behind top classes, but it doesn't mean they are unplayable, on the contrary, they are decent and have great mobility and we kinda often have balance patches (tho to believe in blizzard sometimes is a fools errand).
    MW monks are quite good in PVP too and my friend plays MW monks in our mythic + and it's amazing in my opinion (he is 930 ilvl~).
    Brewmaster monks are one of the best tanks right now for progress and can cheese some mechanics and negate alot of spike dmg.

I don't play monk right now, but I have played them. And their playstyle?
    One word:
    F-U-N

Ofc go Pandaren.

ww pve dps wise lower middle of the pack. tank is good
    dont know about pvp

Thanks for your reply, to be more specific, I'm thinking dps monk but like the option to tank or heal. I don't PvP, will be PVE content.
    'Do you know what the chain of command is? The chain of command is the chain I go get and start beating you with until you learn who is in command!' - Jayne Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Shedarion View Post
    Yea so whole class isn't called monk? Don't be so ahead of urself or you will lack something behind you mate
    What? Explain me "playstyle" of a monk or it's effectiveness. The only thing that is similar between the specs is theme about brews and occasional kicking. I would understand that question if it was made about mages or rogues for example, but about monk? Absolutely not.
    And you're saying that I'm ahead of myself while I'm just politely asking to specify the spec? What's wrong with you? Are you just looking for things to be mad about?

Deleted

what is your problem??? If you have nothing to say don't say anything at all...use your brain and try to see what the poster is saying without sounding like a punk.

Monks in general are the most under played class in the game. Many people actually don't like WW for a few reasons. The artifact weapon is a fist weapon. Many players don't like fist weapons in general.

In general they have amazing animations, best than any class till recently since they are upgrading spell animations.

In general I don't like monk, I feel like nothing hits. What I mean is when I use mortal strike on my warrior or frostbolt on my mage I can feel the hit. On monks the sound effect just sounds like fist...which is what it is supposed to sound like.

I just generally don't like the idea of hitting stuff with hands and feet than a weapon. Which by the way the monk barely uses their weapon in their rotation.

WW is a very fun to play dps class but I honestly just don't like the weight of the attacks. It's not for everyone.

If you have a level 100 monk sitting around just get him to 110. So easy to gear up alts to ilevel 890 in like 3 days. The automatic AK 40 helps so much in making alts. I highly recommend making alts right now instead of getting burned out in TOS. It is the best time to make an alt.
    Last edited by mmoc2d9bdf7f11; 2017-07-27 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgus View Post
    Thanks for your reply, to be more specific, I'm thinking dps monk but like the option to tank or heal. I don't PvP, will be PVE content.
    Fun is certainly very relative topic, but if you like less RNG in the spec then it's great. Even tho nobody can say what is fun and what not windwalkers are considered fun. The thing is that while the rotation moderately complex it quickly becomes brainless and that is what I personally don't like about it.

Its funny how you get threads like this after some post a crazy burst / 1 shot video from a specific class.

I think today started out with a video from Bellular posting a class review of the class
    Ten Dalaran released a video of a monk 1 shotting ppl in a 5v5 1v1 gauntlet duels
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

I have no idea what video you are talking about. My mates and I are just coming back to play.

Deleted
    The most fun I ever had in WoW was with a Brewmaster monk. Even though i don't actually like tanking. Granted it was mostly solo play AND it was during WoD but still.

Deleted
    playstyle wise one of, if not the best designed class in game. Very nice synergy between abilties with a a level of predictability (as in not begging for rng procs). WW is a lot of fun with the hit combo talent. Loads of utility to bring to the table too.

from a numbers pov (imo the worst factor to base a choice on) it sadly doesnt scale as well as other classes. +10 for fun factor tho.

as tank and healer they stand their ground.

ps... safe to say that this is my personal take on it

10+ Year Old Account
    BrMs are doing great in PvE.

MWs are doing good in PvE and great in RBGs.

WWs are doing.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    WWs are doing.
    That is surprisingly accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just named the 3 specializations of the MONK class. Why even reply with such nonsense?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forgus View Post
    I've always been interested in playing Monk and I'm thinking of picking it up this time around, how are they? Not just dps output, also play style.
    Monks are quite fun, IMO. They have a unique healing style, the dps spec is quite fun, and BrM is a damn sturdy tank if you manage your brews properly.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

WW Play-style: Fun as fuck, funner than any class I have played so far this xpac.

WW Dps: Fucking trash, unless you play at like the 80+ percentile then you will be good, since most average wow raiders are like 65-75
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Deleted
    That's so weird, i could've sworn on the character creation screen it said MONK

I currently play MW Monk and off spec as WW (was main spec last tier).

MW is unrewarding in the current tier as our heals feel very lacking and our HoT mechanic isn't the best. I find myself being able to keep up with other healers most of the time, and mana is not really an issue so that is a plus. Our stacked group healing is very good.

Windwalker lacks real big burst which makes them weaker in PVE. However, if you can manage to keep your rotation going flawlessly you can pull some very decent numbers and depending on your group can be towards the top. I personally do about 700~800k sustained on a good fight, which Monk doesn't suffer from what a lot of other specs do which is low damage outside of burst (i.e. Ret Paladin).

Overall, I would recommend either spec if you aren't planning on raiding seriously or don't care to be the best at anything (unless you're the tank) as even though the damage and healing can feel lacking at times, it still has a fun play style.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    That's so weird, i could've sworn on the character creation screen it said MONK
    Yes, I'm sorry I forgot that dps, healing and tanking are all absolutely the same things.
    Let's end this discussion, please.
    Anyway I legit wanted to help answering the question about specific spec, because, for example, I'm pretty knowledgeable about the tank spec and know absolutely nothing about mistweaver's healing. The last thing I wanted was to seem arrogant.

I DO still consider multispecs glorified alts because of the learning curve, different gearing, artifact power farm and legendary drops. ESPECIALLY classes with different base roles.