Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoftheforest View Post
    These are my impressions using my comparisons and my playstyles. If I feel that the monk is
    more dynamic than the holy paladin then I suggest you respect my subjective take on it. Being
    obnoxious about it serves little purpose.
    While i do not fully agree with treeqt, i do have to say that MW are not in a good place number wise, or even mechanical wise.
    But i do agree with you about the "feeling part". Healing is not DPS and saving lives/wipes is more important. And although there is some math behind healing as well, it all comes down to your preferred style and the team work with your other healers.

    With that being said, i'm a priest main (Holy to be more precise but i do go disc from time to time). I'm here because my alt is a MW, and i just love the class ( i also enjoy BrM tanking very much). Number wise the MW are the last healer and some content is unavailable to them because of mechanics (very high level M+). In all honestly, every time i raid on my MW i can't keep on thinking that holy would have been better in almost all situations.

    My problems with the class:

    - i never feel that i make a difference in bringing the bars up, although the HPS is there, almost all the heals are smart and/or random. This is not something bad, as long as the numbers are fine and the job is done. I can't top-up a tank with a Serenity crit then leave a huge dot on it for the follow-up damage (cocoon is close but the CD and the fact the the healing buff is gone as soon as the bubble get's popped is disappointing). In AoE is the same thing, while the combo of TFT + Essence Font + chi burst is good, i don't feel as strong as the bomb healing that Sanctify+PoH is.
    -Long cast on Sheilun's gift: i was so excited about this ability (the animation is also dope), but at 2 second cast this gets sniped almost all the time, for a not so noticeable heal ( Serenity, holy shock are instant, Flash heal, flash of light, regrowth etc etc .. are also much much faster). I actually gave up on using it for the ST healing it does, and only use it for the AoE with Whispers. As this ability is not such a HUGE heal, i think it would be best to have it castable while moving and also a channel. Someone was suggesting to have this as a channel that consumes one orb per 0.16 sec (keeping the total cast at 2 sec for 12 orbs). This would also fit the theme of the class much better.
    -Spam healing is not that powerful, and if you are out of CDs (which are not so extensive as resto shamans for example) and dmg is still coming, then i feel that the monk can't keep up with it, both in ST and AoE
    -revival is underwhelming in PvE. The CD is long for the power it has (and also for being the only raid CD the monk has). The only time i found this better than all others was when falling through the floor on Avatar. It does synergies with Velen's and Spirit link quite nicely though. i won't talk about the dispel attached to it, as sometimes i wished they were different spells

    But all in all, i like healing with the monk, the aesthetics and the mobility. I really wanted to make him my main, if he could have been atleast in one are above my priest. Mythic+ is all about Palas and Druids, Raids are about all the others except monks.

    PvP is nice on my MW (but be prepared to be squashed if a melee catches you in a stun you can't get out of)

  2. #42
    Do people still find Brewmaster fun after the ISB cap? I just can't handle the cap, and the fact that's BrM is still strong at top level makes me think they'll keep the cap around d.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by franksredhot View Post
    Do people still find Brewmaster fun after the ISB cap? I just can't handle the cap, and the fact that's BrM is still strong at top level makes me think they'll keep the cap around d.
    I wouldn't expect them doing anything to that cap before the next expansion. I honestly like it. I didn't cap it much even before the nerf and we didn't cheese stuff with it doing proper tank swaps etc. I like the management part of this cap, but I don't like how its not very obvious and not "clean" as a solution.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by franksredhot View Post
    Do people still find Brewmaster fun after the ISB cap? I just can't handle the cap, and the fact that's BrM is still strong at top level makes me think they'll keep the cap around d.
    I think making it a bit bigger should be fine but without the cap it was honestly a bit silly and clearly unintended. You were supposed to manage it in combat, not hit a target dummy for an hour and have enough for a mythic+.

  5. #45
    The Patient Ladyoftheforest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashgaan View Post
    wall of text
    You have a different experience and I respect that, but I don't compare the class with other healing classes. The most important thing
    is your influence as a healer and play to your strengths. I do feel important and needed. After playing Holy Paladin, Disc Priest and Holy
    Priest Mistweaver is a breath of fresh air that can put out decent numbers.

  6. #46
    PSA, just ignore douchey people, they are only in it for attention.

  7. #47
    Hello, this is a noob question but right now I'm using Chesder's Tell Me When profile for WW monk because I found it the easiest way to play WW monk and melee class after having played strictly ranged class for almost all of WoW.

    What is the best way to get away from TMW and use WA? Is it a lot more rotation training on the dummy? Is there a better WA to fit a need like TMW? It's just that sometimes with combo points, energy regen and all that other stuff it can be overwhelming and sometimes I forget when abilities come off cooldown and what I used last to maintain hit combo.

    Thanks very much for any help you can give me!

    Sincerely,
    A Noob

    Also, on topic--if you're raiding heroic I don't think it really matters what class you play as long as you play it well. Bosses will go down and your position on the meter will depend on how well you play and the type of fight it is. In some cases it is certainly easier to top meters on a different class but at the end of the day if you don't like the class you play you just won't play long and you'll always wander around WoW not happy with your class that tops meters.

  8. #48
    you can recreate anything you do in TMW with WA

  9. #49
    Over 9000! Al Gorefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    9,134
    Windwalkers are great in PvP but below average in PvE DPS, among the worst at the moment (doesn't mean they suck, there always has to be a bottom and it constantly changes just happens to be WWs turn to be it).

    Brewmasters are the best tank for mythic+ and mythic raid progression, because dodge as a mechanic is pretty great but pretty RNG too.

    Mistweavers are on the upper end of the healers, though healing ranks IMO are a waste of time, focus more on the play style of a healer vs. their charts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoftheforest View Post
    You have a different experience and I respect that, but I don't compare the class with other healing classes. The most important thing
    is your influence as a healer and play to your strengths. I do feel important and needed. After playing Holy Paladin, Disc Priest and Holy
    Priest Mistweaver is a breath of fresh air that can put out decent numbers.
    CANNOT be stressed enough here. Excellent post Ladyoftheforest.

    Comparing healers by looking at healing charts isn't worth anyone's time, even the creators of such charts like the ones hosted at wowprogress admit they really aren't indicative of how "OP" a healer spec is.

    Healing is reactive, or proactive in a Disc Priest's case. Healers do less and less healing the more geared the raid is and how knowledgeable the team is in mechanics. When the DPS learn when to pop personal CDs, when to move out of things, when the tanks learn the best timing to switch, less damage is going out - therefore less healing to be done.

    You need to select healing specs based on if their play style synergizes with your comfort and gaming abilities. If you read mechanics, know when huge damage is about to go out, then you'll make a fantastic disc. If you know how to keep abilities rolling on people and how to micromanage mana, you'd make a great resto Druid.

    I haven't played Mistweaver since the changes in Legion, so someone fill in the blanks on how their play style is atm.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post

    Brewmasters are the best tank for mythic+ and mythic raid progression, because dodge as a mechanic is pretty great but pretty RNG too.

    Not sure if you ever played BRM yourself or even checked the logs. DK is indisputably the best mythic tank for reasons already mentioned before (insane utility, sustain). High level raiding is still being done with 90% of parses with double bear stack and sometimes DK here and there.
    I'm not saying that BRMs are bad, not at all, they're great, but your statement is just wrong. Well, dodge mechanic being very RNG is worded badly too. We can't dodge anything important (just like many other tank things like blocks), but damage input that we can dodge being smoothed with mastery+stagger very reliably.

  11. #51
    I play a MW and loving it! Before I started healing with my Monk (cos as a dps I am quite frankly "Shit" and i dont trust myself with tanking) I used to play a holydin.
    Man these monk healers can do a massive amount of healing. I'm constantly battling Holy Priests and getting top healer most of the times.

    I'm not big on the whole terminology but I do enjoy a good class when I play one. Plus i can hold my own in most mythic runs so far. My highest has been 11 with the nasty grievous affix. As a healer that is one shitty thing to get in a week :/

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Probably the one where discussing class system is not considered aggravating or the word "please" is not used sarcastically all the time. You're actually saying that my post is against the forum rules, really?
    You didn't even start actually discussing or adding anything constructive until page 3. And probably only because you wanted to cover your ass after realizing people weren't going to put up with your shitty attitude. You're just arguing semantics like an immature brat. You could have just simply asked the OP which spec he was interested and left it at that in instead of adding in the patronizing sass you gave him. You think he doesn't know that the monk class consists of three specs? Do you think he's an idiot? Because your first response makes it seem like you think the OP is an idiot.
    Last edited by Servasus; 2017-10-04 at 11:14 AM.

  13. #53
    To the OP: I can honestly say that Windwalker is the most fun I've ever had in this game. It's frustrating when the devs put us on the back burner and our dps can be infuriating at times, but if you're interested in just having fun playing the class and you don't need to be at the top of the meters, this is the place to be.

  14. #54

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Forgus View Post
    I've always been interested in playing Monk and I'm thinking of picking it up this time around, how are they? Not just dps output, also play style.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Yes, I'm sorry I forgot that dps, healing and tanking are all absolutely the same things.
    Let's end this discussion, please.
    Anyway I legit wanted to help answering the question about specific spec, because, for example, I'm pretty knowledgeable about the tank spec and know absolutely nothing about mistweaver's healing. The last thing I wanted was to seem arrogant.

    I DO still consider multispecs glorified alts because of the learning curve, different gearing, artifact power farm and legendary drops. ESPECIALLY classes with different base roles.
    I usually just browse the comments when I need particular information. Ever since i've browsed this site way back when, i've never seen a reason to really register, simply because I just don't have anything to comment. In ReD-EyeD's situation, i'll make an exception.

    You know, i'd like to think my comprehension level is pretty on-par for my age. Being 31, you learn a few things. Now, out of the entire question and statement, I sifted through and found something to indicate that he was specifically talking about the WW Monk. What exactly is this, you say? Let's try his use of the commonly used acronym, "dps."

    ReD-EyeD: "But Loraenil, how can you possibly make that determination without spending countless hours contemplating his question?"
    I'm glad you asked. Here are some logical reasons why he would not be speaking of either tanking, or healing.
    1.) Each class has a spec, and defined as such under said spec is labeled "Tank" "Damage" and "Healing."
    2.) Given the fact he said "dps" I highly doubt he is referring to healing, thus leaves the difficult question. Is he talking about Tanking?
    3.) Read #1. Tanking isn't a DPS spec.

    ReD-EyeD, I have made it my personal mission to tutor you in the complicated intricacies of comprehension. Please, do not hesitate to come to me, your new personal right-hand man in the matters of ciphering through these utmost difficult, and mind-boggling posts you have to deal with on a daily basis.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Loraenil View Post
    You know, i'd like to think my comprehension level is pretty on-par for my age. Being 31, you learn a few things. Now, out of the entire question and statement, I sifted through and found something to indicate that he was specifically talking about the WW Monk. What exactly is this, you say? Let's try his use of the commonly used acronym, "dps."
    Well, you would be surprised, but tanks care about dps too. I guess you have never played a tank yourself besides alts.
    But I welcome you, have a nice stay.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Well, you would be surprised, but tanks care about dps too. I guess you have never played a tank yourself besides alts.
    But I welcome you, have a nice stay.
    I mained a BDK all the way through MoP, and mythic progression in WoD. A tank's primary focus should and always will be mechanics unless you're in a WPvP situation.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Loraenil View Post
    I mained a BDK all the way through MoP, and mythic progression in WoD. A tank's primary focus should and always will be mechanics unless you're in a WPvP situation.
    Have you stepped foot into CM in WoD as tank? Have you played m+ in Legion as tank? Even if you have, I don't think you achieved much ...

  18. #58

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    Have you stepped foot into CM in WoD as tank? Have you played m+ in Legion as tank?
    No, and again, no. But, if you step out of that bubble it looks like you're in with ReD-EyeD, you will notice that CM and tanking wasn't something the OP asked about. He asked about DPS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    Even if you have, I don't think you achieved much ...
    OK? Lol
    This doesn't really have anything to do with what we're talking about, which is another problem this generation has. Sticking to the topic.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Loraenil View Post
    He asked about DPS.
    Well - you generally stated something that is false for a significant portion of current WoW. I called you out on that. Don't care about your general attitude towards another forum user, that you took so seriously upon yourself that you even created a new forum avatar.
    Also kind of funny that the first times I posted in here I casually clashed with said forum user a few times and now you're putting me inside some virtual proximity with him

    Your "generation" argument kind of backfires, if you consider your age to be a factor in relation to me you're cute there, kid

    Also - asking about the DPS portion of a tank spec is as valid in Legion as asking about the dps portion of a healing spec. Maybe the bubble is yours in here and it smells of "are you from the past?"
    Last edited by Tsharna; 2017-10-27 at 12:33 PM.

  20. #60

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    Well - you generally stated something that is false for a significant portion of current WoW.
    LOL, No I didn't, and if a "significant" portion of WoW really cares about DPS for a tank, then they shouldn't be tanking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    I called you out on that.
    *Slow golf clap commences.*

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    Also kind of funny that the first times I posted in here I casually clashed with said forum user a few times and now you're putting me inside some virtual proximity with him
    If you didn't adopt his habits, you wouldn't be in the same bubble. Please, ask what habits in the next post. I can see this coming. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    Your "generation" argument kind of backfires, if you consider your age to be a factor in relation to me you're cute there, kid
    Sorry, I solely rely on one's actions on a forum if I do not see a clear, and visible picture of the culprit. As of now, i'm letting those dictate my conclusion of one's age.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    Also - asking about the DPS portion of a tank spec is as valid in Legion as asking about the dps portion of a healing spec. Maybe the bubble is yours in here and it smells of "are you from the past?"
    Again, all you're doing here is validating my previous statement. You didn't take the time to read, did you? Lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •