Deleted

Horn of valor value for forst mage in 7.2.5

Hi guyz,
    I was wondering what was the value of the horn of valor for frost mage in7.2.5. As i can see after having the crit cap we're all rushing for vers/haste however i simulated the HornOV in pretty much all situation with the same ilvl of tarnished sentinel medallion or terror from below but it seems that in every possible situations this tirnket i worst than a lot of things (worst in 915 thn my 895 guldan trinket for exemple). I'm surprised because it gives flat versatility which is really strong atm in frost mage and a huge use of intell which can be quite strong considering the long duration of it that can scale really well with Icy veins.
    Hope you'll help me out there
    sorry for the bad english guyz !
    Last edited by mmoc1f8a5b07ec; 2017-07-22 at 12:37 PM.

The reason why its prob simming low for you is because you might not have nearly enough haste for the build. So it devalues the trinket in favor of something thats going to give flat haste or a haste boost. If you want to stack vers I would suggest trying to get it on your non tier pieces as much as possible.

Deleted
    I have a 910 version which occasionally comes up as the best choice alongside my 905 whispers. It depends on the combo of gear, but in my current setup as GS it's being outsimmed by 860 Arcano... /sigh

It's a fun trinket to use in Myth+ though, massive burst DPS potential on bosses.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Horn of Valor is, on paper, a great source of damage. In practice, however, it isn't nearly that good. The cast animation you are used to will change from your race to that of a Valkyrr. The cast animations for the Valkyrr are slower than for any of the player classes, which are all equal, leaving you with a messed up rotation.

Whenever I'm doing Mythic+ Halls of Valor, I purposely skip the rune part on the Odyn fight, solely because of the Valkyrr transformation messing up cast animations and speeds. The trinket does the same, to a lesser extent, but it is still noticeable.

In short:
    Avoid the trinket like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by mireigi View Post
    Horn of Valor is, on paper, a great source of damage. In practice, however, it isn't nearly that good. The cast animation you are used to will change from your race to that of a Valkyrr. The cast animations for the Valkyrr are slower than for any of the player classes, which are all equal, leaving you with a messed up rotation.

Whenever I'm doing Mythic+ Halls of Valor, I purposely skip the rune part on the Odyn fight, solely because of the Valkyrr transformation messing up cast animations and speeds. The trinket does the same, to a lesser extent, but it is still noticeable.

In short:
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I have never heard anything like this, at one point several top mythic guild mages used high ilvl HoV. And surely the 50% damage bonus negates the effects of the increased casting animation on odyn?

Deleted

In short:
    So slightly longer casting animations are making you lose one third of your damage? Because that is what they would need to do to equalize the 50% damage buff you get. Depending on your strat you would have TW for that as well, which should counteract longer animations at least somewhat.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    The damage bonus on the Odyn fight does outweigh the reduced cast animation speed, obviously. It feels clunky, however, and, for a fire mage at least, it is noticeable how the chaining of pyroblasts is made difficult, even during combustion where everything is instant cast. Maybe the effect is less pronounced for frost or arcane, but for fire it is bad. Like the animation continues after the cast is completed, and needs to be finished before the next spell can be cast.

The trinket is, as I said, not as impactful, and might feel better now that haste is good for fire mages, but back in 7.1, and prior, it was horrible.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a smooth playstyle, than a bit of extra damage, and there are so many other viable options available.

What the f*** did i just read. Please never join my m+ groups

Quote Originally Posted by Naiyano View Post
    What the f*** did i just read. Please never join my m+ groups
    He may be a bit..special? But horn is awful for frost in comparison to other easily obtainable trinkets.

In short:
    someone either gets carried hard in their dungeons, or doesnt do any keys over 5.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

Deleted
    How Bizarre!

I'll admit I can sometimes be put off my rhythm if somebody uses a stupid toy on me just before a pull in such a way that my casting animations change - but never enough to skip such a large damage increase in a dungeon!

Trinket is fine though with regards to animation, not sure if they tweaked it since the early days - but after two uses on the target dummy you'll be used to it...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've literally never heard of anyone watching their casting animations for stuff. Like, what? Do you not have a cast bar to see when said spell is finished? I legitimately don't understand this.

OT: Horn kinda sucks, especially since it's fairly easy to find a better one.

Deleted
    I got my hands on a 930 Horn the other day. I also have 910 terror and 900 tarnished medalion. The Horn sims almost the same (maybe 2-3k more) than the owl. Also it is better than the owl on cleave/aoe, since medalion attacks only your target (and does not cleave)