Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

[FROST][GS] Help me see my mistakes and improve

Hi,

Ive been giving Frost Mage some time and been enjoying the GS build.
    Would like to better understand the spec and know what I'm doing wrong.

Warcraftlogs
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...dps&bracket=-1

Character
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...rangel%c3%b8ve

Setbonus.............. T20 2P & 4P
    Legendary 1.......... Shard of the Exodar
    Legendary 2.......... Koralon's Burning Touch* (Fire Mage Legendary)

• Intelligence....... 44.520
    • Critical Strike.... 34%
    • Haste............... 23%
    • Mastery............ 31%
    • Versatility......... 10%

*I also have Lady Vashj's Grasp, but it would break my 4 set bonus. On Ivy
    Veins it's high in the ranking, but it may not be ideal for Glacial Spike build.

Thanks in advance!

Your mastery seems pretty low. It should be at least 40%.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioreducto View Post
    Your mastery seems pretty low. It should be at least 40%.
    My initial thought was the same, but reading different perspectives on how good/bad mastery is left me confused.
    Even the Icy Veins site puts Mastery on place five in statpriority. Altered Time also makes no mention of a desired
    mastery rating to effectively play the GS build. I'll try to get it to 40% or maybe even 50% if that's better.

Also I don't know how you feel about rune of power but that talent works really well with GS. You can use one charge to build up your icicle damage and then the second for when you use GS. It creates tons of burst damage.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioreducto View Post
    Also I don't know how you feel about rune of power but that talent works really well with GS. You can use one charge to build up your icicle damage and then the second for when you use GS. It creates tons of burst damage.
    I may be wrong in this, but I thought Glacial Spike can't be effected by external damage multipliers (no double dipping).
    Not sure though.

Your mastery is really low. You really want to be near 50% mastery. The rest of your stats look really good though. Ideally the 2 bis legos for the GS build are the helm and the shard. Atm since I dont have the helm I'm wearing prydaz for the stats but you could also use KJ. Looking at your logs it looks like you have a good handle on the rotation.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/mage/frost/c2DM
    These are the talents most frost mages take when using the GS build. I personally take Icy Floes but either are fine. And you'll want to take arctic gale when there are going to be 3 or more targets.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...dhoof/gramoria
    Here is my armory if you wanted to take a look at my stats

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfproof View Post
    Your mastery is really low. You really want to be near 50% mastery. The rest of your stats look really good though. Ideally the 2 bis legos for the GS build are the helm and the shard. Atm since I dont have the helm I'm wearing prydaz for the stats but you could also use KJ. Looking at your logs it looks like you have a good handle on the rotation.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/mage/frost/c2DM
    These are the talents most frost mages take when using the GS build. I personally take Icy Floes but either are fine. And you'll want to take arctic gale when there are going to be 3 or more targets.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...dhoof/gramoria
    Here is my armory if you wanted to take a look at my stats
    Thank you! Really wish I found out sooner about the low mastery. Unfortunately I got the hands legendary
    recently so have to invest some time again for a new one to drop. One thing that is a bit harder to manage
    are the icelance procs when you have brain freeze and or glacial spike coming up. Sometimes it sits on 3
    stacks. Do I fire 1-2 icelances and delay brain freeze/glacial spike?

EDIT
    I've made some changes and now the stats looks like this:

• Intelligence....... 44.520
    • Critical Strike.... 33%
    • Haste............... 19%
    • Mastery............ 49%
    • Versatility......... 08%

Apparently mastery received a nerf this month and people questioned how much it's desirable. Will take these
    new stats to see how it will fare. Hope 19% haste isn't too low.
    Last edited by Ladyoftheforest; 2017-07-30 at 05:35 PM.

your first mistake is still trying to play gs

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    your first mistake is still trying to play gs
    GS is really fun, especially on fights like DI where you can reliably cleave those fat crits.
    @Ladyoftheforest - I wouldn't necessarily stack Mastery at the expense of other stats. First and foremost, reach the 33.4% shatter cap so you will always crit your IL and GS/flurry combos. After that, versatility and haste are really good, and for me sim considerably higher than mastery.

Idk why people think GS is garbage. It only sims like 20k less than TV right now at higher gear levels. Unless your a min/max player, playing GS is perfectly fine. And yes mastery was nerfed so that GS couldnt double dip anymore but it still is important to the ability. However haste and vers are simming slightly higher than mastery for the build. Simming my own stats its showing...

Stat Weights
    Haste-23.14
    Vers-21.22
    Int-20.80
    Mastery-17.74
    Crit-13.48
    * 1 point of Haste will increase your DPS by 23.14

Also you should still use your fof icelance procs when they come up but as far as your brainfreeze proc is concerned if your at 3 or more stacks towards your GS then dont use your brainfreeze proc. Save it since your that close to using GS. At 1 or 2 stacks I would use it because you still have 3 more FB casts to get another proc.

Deleted
    Idk why people think GS is garbage. It only sims like 20k less than TV right now at higher gear levels. Unless your a min/max player, playing GS is perfectly fine. And yes mastery was nerfed so that GS couldnt double dip anymore but it still is important to the ability. However haste and vers are simming slightly higher than mastery for the build. Simming my own stats its showing...

Stat Weights
    Haste-23.14
    Vers-21.22
    Int-20.80
    Mastery-17.74
    Crit-13.48
    * 1 point of Haste will increase your DPS by 23.14

Also you should still use your fof icelance procs when they come up but as far as your brainfreeze proc is concerned if your at 3 or more stacks towards your GS then dont use your brainfreeze proc. Save it since your that close to using GS. At 1 or 2 stacks I would use it because you still have 3 more FB casts to get another proc.

That's the reason. It sims lower.

Not only does it sim lower in max gear, it also requires gaming of BF procs to play perfectly. aswell as adding another button to the rotation, you're literally making a spec more complicated for a net loss of dps

lmao more complicated? Yea it sims lower than TV but your acting like its alot less. When infact when geared properly for it, it will still provide competitive dps. So calling is garbage means you know very little about the spec and the rotation your talking about. People should be able to still play GS if they want and as long as they arent hurting their raid group.

What's the break point with crit where other stats become more important?

once you hit the 33.34% crit cap then thats where the value of other stats pushes forward.

Deleted
    GS isnt really worth playing anymore after they fixed its doubledipping, basically making it do less than TV builds atm.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    GS isnt really worth playing anymore after they fixed its doubledipping, basically making it do less than TV builds atm.
    Unless your in a guild thats pushing hard in mythic content than GS is still a very competitive spec to play

Unless your in a guild thats pushing hard in mythic content than GS is still a very competitive spec to play
    worse is not competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    worse is not competitive.
    Lol ok. I didn't realize only being slightly less dps than another spec meant it wasn't competitive.

lmao more complicated? Yea it sims lower than TV but your acting like its alot less.
    Remember the modern player mindset. Not the best/optimal = bad. Part of the reason they removed the old talent trees. The "play what you enjoy" and "optimize or die" factions were in constant warfare.
    Last edited by cparle87; 2017-08-07 at 04:55 AM.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Lol ok. I didn't realize only being slightly less dps than another spec meant it wasn't competitive.
    It isn't competitive. Also gs is straight aids because of all the movement and targeted abilities. If you actually got to stand still and dps while reliably getting bf procs it wouldn't be half bad. But casting a spell that long that frequently is awful and when it doesn't crit it brings a tear to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Remember the modern player mindset. Not the best/optimal = bad. Part of the reason they removed the old talent trees. The "play what you enjoy" and "optimize or die" factions were in constant warfare.
    They removed the old talent tree to simplify they game. It didn't hurt that "elitist" players were having to zone out and get summon every boss to optimize damage. I can agree it was rather annoying for both parties involved.