Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    NO a teen is someone within the age of Teen.... it starts at 13, then goes to 14,15,16,17,18,19. It has nothing to do with maturity level or wither they are an adult. That's like saying a couple isn't 2 or a dozen isn't 12.
    You realize you are basically agreeing with me right? That it is a number, in the teens, with no reference to maturity. That once you are 18+, regardless of the number of your age ending in 'teen', you are an adult. and 3 can be considered a couple btw;
    4: an indefinite small number : (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/couple)

while most of the time it is reference of 2 of something, it is not strictly limited to it either.
    also, there is a think called a bakers dozen, it is 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Findlyn View Post
    It is called a bakers dozen because it is not a dozen. Obviously.
    It has a different name because it is a different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Wow, i finally post the video and nobody is posting on what actually happened.
    Do you think they care?

You realize you are basically agreeing with me right? That it is a number, in the teens, with no reference to maturity. That once you are 18+, regardless of the number of your age ending in 'teen', you are an adult. and 3 can be considered a couple btw;
    4: an indefinite small number : (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/couple)

while most of the time it is reference of 2 of something, it is not strictly limited to it either.
    Couple in use is limited to two things typically with few meaning 3+ or several.

bakers dozen isn't a dozen. If I call it a velvet dozen and put 18 does that mean 18 can also be a dozen?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Couple in use is limited to two things typically with few meaning 3+ or several.

bakers dozen isn't a dozen. If I call it a velvet dozen and put 18 does that mean 18 can also be a dozen?
    He said that anything other than 2 when used in reference to a couple was incorrect, I was showing that to be false. Even if only in limited instances, don't talk in absolutes, unless you absolutely know that to be true.

Except you are making that up, the bakers dozen has been around for a long time. a bakers dozen is a dozen, it just has an additional added to it. The reason for which is apparently up in the air with no 100% fact on why, but it is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by romulux View Post
    so a punk criminal with weapons and drugs got what was coming to him? good

- - - Updated - - -

poor innocent teen with weapons and assault charges ........ have you ever been assaulted or witnessed an assault? do you have any idea how scary violence is? these police do and they are making sure this violent offender learns a valuable lesson. you should thank them

- - - Updated - - -

He said that anything other than 2 when used in reference to a couple was incorrect, I was showing that to be false. Even if only in limited instances, don't talk in absolutes, unless you absolutely know that to be true.

Except you are making that up, the bakers dozen has been around for a long time. a bakers dozen is a dozen, it just has an additional added to it. The reason for which is apparently up in the air with no 100% fact on why, but it is a thing.
    A bakers dozen is consider a unit of measure equal to 13... not a dozen, for a dozen is equal to 12.

You are absolutely incorrect in saying a bakers dozen is a dozen because it isn't...

if dozen = 12 & bakers dozen = 13 and 12 != 13, how can they be equal? They are two units of measure... with two different results. No one uses dozen to refer either to 12 or 13, they use dozen to refer to 12 and bakers dozen to refer to 13.
    Last edited by Themius; 2017-08-03 at 12:27 AM.

Ahh, one of the nice reminders that policing is often just thugs policing other thugs. Makes it hard to have any sympathy when I see a story of a cop getting murdered.

The number of people defending this behavior is truly astounding. How fucked up this country has become.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Comply or die. Pretty simple. Bit late to bitch about it now, you all voted for this shit, both sides of the aisle. Did anyone bother to watch the full 60 minute video where the kid was spitting and trying to attack the guards? Because that's who these guys are, is prison guards, NOT cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Comply or die. Pretty simple. Bit late to bitch about it now, you all voted for this shit, both sides of the aisle. Did anyone bother to watch the full 60 minute video where the kid was spitting and trying to attack the guards? Because that's who these guys are, is prison guards, NOT cops.
    Wrong. It's county jail. County jail is staffed with sheriff deputies in the jail. It is not a prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Dang, that video is fucked.

This baker's dozen shit is possibly the most ridiculous argument I've ever seen on these boards, and I've been here awhile and seen and participated in some really stupid shit. It absolutely blows me away. Good on y'all for sticking with it, but you might be better off just saying, "fuck this guy" and moving on.

I am just having some fun with the bakers dozen stuff, but let me put it this way. In a "Bakers Dozen" the baker portion is a modifier of a dozen, its like saying "Two Dozen" isn't a dozen because it is 24, not 12.

Think of it as basic algebra, Dozen =X; 2 Dozen is 2X, Bakers Dozen is X+1. It is just a modification of the basic dozen.

You can order a dozen, two dozen, or a bakers dozen at most bakeries.

I find it hilarious people are getting so worked up about this, i am just having a bit of a laugh.

But just like if you tell most people without having a way to directly show them a dictionary with the definition of a couple, they would swear up and down that couple can only mean 2. The thing with things we are grown up to believe as absolutes, is you got to remember this; Everything in life usually will be a certain way 99.9% of the time, but on occasion, there will be a variable that says otherwise.

Its like saying I am wrong for saying the 'orange sky', because it is usually blue, however during dusk/dawn the sky can have a orange hue to it.

The Etymology of a bakers dozen, is when people used to get a dozen from bakers, but sometimes would be shorted, so when you would order a dozen from a baker, it would come with n additional loaf. It became known as a bakers(adjective:aka modifier of the noun/pronoun it is describing) dozen.
    Last edited by Findlyn; 2017-08-03 at 01:57 PM.

I am just having some fun with the bakers dozen stuff, but let me put it this way. In a "Bakers Dozen" the baker portion is a modifier of a dozen, its like saying "Two Dozen" isn't a dozen because it is 24, not 12.

Think of it as basic algebra, Dozen =X; 2 Dozen is 2X, Bakers Dozen is X+1. It is just a modification of the basic dozen.

You can order a dozen, two dozen, or a bakers dozen at most bakeries.

I find it hilarious people are getting so worked up about this, i am just having a bit of a laugh.

But just like if you tell most people without having a way to directly show them a dictionary with the definition of a couple, they would swear up and down that couple can only mean 2. The thing with things we are grown up to believe as absolutes, is you got to remember this; Everything in life usually will be a certain way 99.9% of the time, but on occasion, there will be a variable that says otherwise.

Its like saying I am wrong for saying the 'orange sky', because it is usually blue, however during dusk/dawn the sky can have a orange hue to it.

The Etymology of a bakers dozen, is when people used to get a dozen from bakers, but sometimes would be shorted, so when you would order a dozen from a baker, it would come with n additional loaf. It became known as a bakers(adjective:aka modifier of the noun/pronoun it is describing) dozen.

Two dozen isn't a dozen. It's two dozen. "It's like saying two dozen isn't a dozen because it's 24 not 12"

Exactly... it's not a dozen if it's two dozen. A decade is ten years. Five descades is 50 years. "It's like say five decades isn't a decade because one is 50 and one is 10". A centennial is 100 years 10 decades is a centennial. 11 decades is a centennial and another ten years. If you create a bakers centennial and make it equal to 110 centennial still is 100

Bakers dozen is a unit of measure equal to 13...