I have some questions before playing this game...

I have some questions before playing this game...

Hi, everybody. My name is Bee. New here, but not new to MMORPGs.

I used to play the original FFXIV, the one they considered total shit. I loved it. And I can imagine loving this game all the more since it was improved.

With that said, I have some questions before diving into the FFXIV world. This is a big decision for me and the answers I see in this thread will determine whether or not I will play the game...

Question # 1: I'm a PS4 player. I have no computers that can handle the demands of FFXIV, so I'll be playing with my PS4. I'm just wondering though, how exactly do I communicate to players in this game without a keyboard? Is there such a thing as a PS4 keyboard? How does voice chat work? So with voice chat, as long as the microphone is installed, literally EVERYBODY in the vicinity of the game can hear my voice?? Isn't that chaotic if there are lots of people who do that?

Question # 2: This game is several years old. How long is it still gonna be running before the developers decide to come up with a new FF Online? I don't wanna buy the game and enjoy it for only a year. I'm thinking long term here...

Question # 3: What exactly do people do here when it comes to group play? Like, what is the motivation for grouping up, as opposed to soloing quests? Are there special things I should know about like raids and stuff?

Question # 4: Is there an RP server? If so, which is it?

Question # 5: Which is the tank class?

Question # 6: Are there male Miqo'tes and female Roegadyns?

Maybe more to come...

Thank you.

1. You can use a keyboard and mouse on PS4 as well as the controller. As for voice chat if you have a laptop you are better off using Discord as a lot of FCs do unless you are using PS4 voice chat with friends.

2. Well FF11 is 15 years old and still actually going on a sub model. I imagine if the game dies down extremely in the long future they may consider another MMO to revitalise that part of the franchise. But that is a long way off imo.

3. Usual MMO stuff such as Raids, Dungeons, PvPs and in FF14's case Hunts. People will group up for Hunts for credit. All content can be queued for but for Savage raiding and EX Primals it is better to go as a premade group.

If you like side content there is loads of it. Specifically the Gold Saucer which has minigames and Chocobo Racing.

4. Kind of. There are no official RP servers. Only 2 I know of are NA and are Balmung and Sargatanas. Balmung is always locked though because it is one of the most populated servers so the only way on is to transfer.

5. There are 3. Dark Knight, Warrior and Paladin.

6. Yes.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-31 at 11:02 PM.

Question # 7: I just did some research and it turns out, just like what Eleccybubb said, that the PS4 can do keyboard and mouse controls. Here's the thing though... My PS4 is hooked onto the TV, and there is NO place to rest a mouse on. Can I simultaneously use the PS4 joystick and the keyboard together?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombocalypse View Post
    Question # 7: I just did some research and it turns out, just like what Eleccybubb said, that the PS4 can do keyboard and mouse controls. Here's the thing though... My PS4 is hooked onto the TV, and there is NO place to rest a mouse on. Can I simultaneously use the PS4 joystick and the keyboard together?
    Kind of yes and no.

There are 2 modes for the game in the options. Mouse/KB mode and Controller mode. In Mouse/KB mode it kind of limits how much you can do with a controller.

I just usually sit on the floor with my back to the sofa and put a mousemat on the floor. But most of the time on PS4 I use controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I just usually sit on the floor with my back to the sofa and put a mousemat on the floor.
    That's genius...

And also, I have a small table that I can use to rest my mouse on. I guess that could work.

Will the mouse be connected wirelessly?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Kind of yes and no.

There are 2 modes for the game in the options. Mouse/KB mode and Controller mode. In Mouse/KB mode it kind of limits how much you can do with a controller.

I just usually sit on the floor with my back to the sofa and put a mousemat on the floor. But most of the time on PS4 I use controller.

(This one was originally meant as a PM, but I can't do PMs yet because of low post count.)

Thanks for the information in my thread.

Anyway, I have some more questions I'd like you to answer...

So... When it comes to mouse and keyboard usage for the PS4, they are either USB or wireless. Is it possible to use a keyboard as USB and then a mouse that's wireless? Or a keyboard that's wireless and a mouse that is USB plugged? Do you get the question?

Or do they have to be the same? How does that work?

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombocalypse View Post
    The game is well utilized for controller. I have a friend that play exclusively with a controller, even on his laptop.
    So if you're playing with the controller and have the keyboard plugged in/turned on, you can use both.

With his input:

Depends on what you want to do/how you want to play. In the options, you can enable/disable "Direct chat"

If Direct Chat is ON:
    Anything you type on the keyboard will automatically go straight to text box for chatting.

If Direct Chat is OFF:
    You hit enter, then type what you want to say. This allows you to use the keyboard for other things, like hot keys (my friend uses a few hot keys on his laptop in addition to his abilities on the controller), like emotes, mounts, teleports.

This would allow you to play with controller + keyboard and no particular need for a mouse if you wanted to try that route.

I think @Eleccybubb answered the rest of the initial 6 questions rather well.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-08-01 at 01:04 PM.