5+ Year Old Account

Class (job) ideas

So I'm about to start out my adventure as a new player and after researching all the classes im stuck on what to do. Seems like there is a lot of fun options out there so I'd like some community input. What's the most fun class (job) to play and why? Just trying to get some ideas....

You'll get wildly different responses based on what people like. What are your interests when looking for a class/job in RPGs/MMOs?

Obviously, a big boon is you can play every job on one character, so you don't have to do everything again if you change and you can acquire gear to supplement other jobs. Or in some cases you might have gear on one job and decide you like another more and they share gear.

I liked Ninja up to Heavensward. Quick gameplay, fun use of the ninjutsu combos. Not a big fan of it at 60 with SB changes.
    Monk was fun in ARR because not only was there a rotation, but the movement from flank to rear to get the damage combo bonuses gave it a nice rhythm I liked. I haven't really played Monk since then, though, so there's been a lot of changes.
    I'm enjoying Samurai a lot with Stormblood, though.

Bard is supposedly in a great place right now, so if you like range and movement, that's your solid pick.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-08-01 at 07:19 PM.

One nice thing about this game is that you can play every job on a single character, so there's the "why not all of them" crowd.

That being said, the jobs really don't start shining until you've put some time and levels into them. You'll likely hear someone note that "combat is boring af at low level"...if you are new to the game, or rather, MMOs in general, then it's not as noticeable, but if you've played other MMOs, you'll definitely find them slow to start off. Developers did do a little bit of revamping to make some jobs not quite as snore-inducing at low level, but there could be much more done.

I'll touch on the jobs I currently have at 70:

Black Mage (BLM): Prototypical caster dps; not very mobile, but when they can plant and cast, it results in massive damage. If you like seeing big numbers pop up on screen, BLM is one way to go.

White Mage (WHM): The "pure healer", a term tossed around because this job's focus as a healer is mostly just that: Healing. "Well...duh?"...to elaborate, the other healers offer more group utility/buffs/etc. WHM's best utility would have to be Holy, which is the only AoE stun ability available for players.

Dark Knight: Not available until you're level 50 on another job and have completed all the Main Story Quests up to Heavensward content (3.0). Kinda boring early on; doesn't really start to get interesting until level 50+. Comes together really well at max level, though, and becomes a lot more fun to play.

Bard. Fully mobile, ranged DPS. Awesome in PvE and PvP both. Other jobs are fun in their various ways, and obviously everyone's tastes are different, but for me, Bard is simple to play, its damage is pretty much on-demand, not a lot of cooldowns and procs to juggle just to do anything, and again...fully mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Atraxxa View Post
    So I'm about to start out my adventure as a new player and after researching all the classes im stuck on what to do. Seems like there is a lot of fun options out there so I'd like some community input. What's the most fun class (job) to play and why? Just trying to get some ideas....
    As @Faroth covered, the best way for us to answer this is for you to give more information.

What class archetypes do you like and why? Which have you played in other games and did you enjoy them/why? Would you be interested in playing something similar or something different? Do you have a preferred role, Tank, Healer, DPS?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gender - Female
    Race - Roegadyn
    Class - Marauder

The best and sexiest combo in the game.

Honorable mention
    Scholar
    astrologian
    You cared enough to post.

So, it comes down to your personal playstyle, nobody can answer this question for you.

Do you like to be the muscle? Do you like to make the mobs are focused on you while your group smacks it down?
    Go Tank. (Paladin (Self-Heals) / Dark Knight (Best Mitigation) / Warrior (Best Tank DPS)

Do you like to smack the mob down, and be it's it's face while smack talking it the whole time?
    Go Melee DPS. (Dragoon / Samurai / Monk / Ninja)

Do you like to smack the mob down from a distance, laughing at it from afar while it dies?
    Go Ranged DPS. (Bard / Summoner / Red Mage / Black Mage / Machinist)

Do you like to touchy-feeling your party, healing them with soothing words and hand gestures?
    Go Healer. (White Mage / Scholar / Astrologian).

Hope this helps!

ideally look at what starts where. Because for the first maybe 7-10 hours your are more limited in travel till you unlock airships and such. You start in one of 3 city states based on class chosen, not race like usual mmos. For example the ocean pirate/navy themed city of Limsa Lominsa has Rogue/Ninja, Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar, Marauder/Warrior and none combat has Chef, Blacksmith, Armour smith and Fisher. So you pick any of those then moment you hit lvl.10 you can equip the weapon of another class and unlock the starting quest for it and you can then swap between the two on the fly forever from then on.

Most recommend Limsa because it gives you a tank, dps, ranged dps and healer start with the only downsides being scholar unlocks at 30 meaning it takes a while to get your healing job from the arcanist class and being an island nation its more limited in free roaming till you unlock intercity travel.

Of course you also have the desert merchant citystate of Uldah for Thaumaturge/Black Mage, Pugilist/Monk, Gladiator/Paladin, Goldsmith, Weaver, Miner and Alchemist as well as Gridania in the northern forests for archer/Bard, Lancer/Dragoon, Conjurer/White Mage, Carpenter, Botanist and Leatherworker

Basically you can unlock any of them at 10, get to any of them at 20 and its really more a 'where do i want to jump off from?' situation to make your choice. Though a lot of people think the slight changes made to the main story by picking Uldah or Limsa Lominsa leads to a better main story for your warrior of light.

5+ Year Old Account
    I ended up starting as an Archer but I couldn't deal with the weird spell animations, it looks as if you are using a paladin seal for every ability. Just doesn't make sense in my head as physical ranged damage dealer lol. So I restarted as a Thaumaturge and life is good now. As for the starting cities, this game looks so beautiful graphics wise it doesn't matter to me at all!

10+ Year Old Account
    I ended up starting as an Archer but I couldn't deal with the weird spell animations, it looks as if you are using a paladin seal for every ability. Just doesn't make sense in my head as physical ranged damage dealer lol. So I restarted as a Thaumaturge and life is good now. As for the starting cities, this game looks so beautiful graphics wise it doesn't matter to me at all!
    Lpl ironically until this expansion you would have been min maxing your leveling a bit due to jobs formerly requiring a second one at 15 (the becomes blm and required a 15 archer..do not ask me WHY archer)

That said also recall you can swap classes once you have done your level 10 class quest so full restarts are not as needed here

Forgot to mention, if you hop back to archer at some point, you can turn off your own spell effects so you'll just have the animations.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Forgot to mention, if you hop back to archer at some point, you can turn off your own spell effects so you'll just have the animations.
    LOL, why do you do this me.....

LOL, why do you do this me.....
    I'm "helping"!

Honestly, though, if you really like BLM, I'd try Monk, Dragoon, Ninja, etc. You've got a ranged DPS, might as well get a melee DPS, tank, and healer before dabbling into other ranged DPS, right?

5+ Year Old Account
    Yea that's true, I was interested in Ninja as well cause I saw a couple of the town and they look awesome. So here is a question, if I start a new class does my MSQ change?

Yea that's true, I was interested in Ninja as well cause I saw a couple of the town and they look awesome. So here is a question, if I start a new class does my MSQ change?
    No, the MSQ is tied to your character, not your class. However, MSQ quests do have a minimum level, and your new class starts back at level 1. So you'd have to level your new class back to about the same level as you were before you can continue the MSQ.

For example, let's say your current MSQ quest requires level 35 Disciple of War/Magic. You are a 38 Bard, so everything is fine. But if you switch to Rogue/Ninja, you'll start at level 1 Rogue/Ninja. You won't be able to accept the quest until you level up to a 35 Ninja. You can switch back to 38 Bard at anytime, though.
    Last edited by RohanV; 2017-09-06 at 07:31 PM.

To build on RohanV's point, the only exception is if you get to 50 and complete the MSQ for A Realm Reborn, you can unlock Red Mage and Samurai, which start at 50 and you could continue right where you are from there.

Once you get through the post ARR and enter Ishgard for Heavensward, you can unlock Machinist, Astrologian, and Dark Knight, but they all start at 35 (correction: 30).
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-09-06 at 08:45 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ah ok makes sense, thank you both

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    To build on RohanV's point, the only exception is if you get to 50 and complete the MSQ for A Realm Reborn, you can unlock Red Mage and Samurai, which start at 50 and you could continue right where you are from there.

Once you get through the post ARR and enter Ishgard for Heavensward, you can unlock Machinist, Astrologian, and Dark Knight, but they all start at 35.
    Unless they've changed it, the Heavensward job classes (Machinist, Dark Knight and Astrologian) all start at level 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Unless they've changed it, the Heavensward job classes (Machinist, Dark Knight and Astrologian) all start at level 30.
    Right, typo on my part (and corrected)