Poll: Do you like the new profession system?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    I kinda like it compared with what we got in MoP and WoD, but i think it could be way better if they changed some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfluff View Post
    I think all the crafting recipes should be quest based and they should have a short story behind them so they actually have some meaning. having them drop from raids its just boring and lazy in my opinion. Maybe they could be hidden in dungeons or in secret places in the current world
    That was one thing I liked about FF14. Each profession had its own storyline that you progressed through while leveling the profession.

I felt it had a lot of promise on paper, but the fact that WoW itemization is still a slave to balance means that the devs have very limited options in making professions fun and relevant throughout an expansions.

I've found that if I do alchemy or enchanting (and, to an extent, inscription), I'll have stuff to do throughout the expansion. If I go for the armor crafting professions instead, I'll spend most of my profession time during levelling, and hardly any afterwards. It's an ever-so-slightly minor bump in gearing ease - that's it.

Spent some time when they introduced crafted legendaries, got bored, and stopped it again.

The new crafted items with 7.3 changed nothing - particularly seeing as how it took me half an hour just to grind out the 10 pieces of cloth for the quest. The notion of doing that again in order to craft something I can very barely use isn't appealing in the slightest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple. Before you could just level an alt, grind mats and level up proffesions. In WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD, i had like 8 -10 alts by the end of expansion, with ALL recepies and proffesions maxed and what not. I was making silly amounts of gold playing casually, mostly overlapping proffesions, shuffling and what not. Aka, mine ore, prospect ore, make jewelery, sell warforged, disenchant, make enchants, transmute rest, make this, do that, sell ALL. Now you need to devote QUITE some time on alt doing quests, grinding, getting reputations and what not, and then RNG to procc level 3 pattern on some proffesions. Im certain Blizz did this on purpose to de-flate gold value, and make us earn overall less gold. Us earning less gold = more people paying for subs, or account service. If you had silly amounts of gold now you could for example turn it into subscription, battle net balance, buy other games, whatever. Im truly certain that is the reason behind proffesion change, all comes up to real-life money. They even added MOST AWSOME mount (imho) ever to exist in game, Lightforged Warframe, for gold only. Massive gold sink. Think about it, when you transfer that to money, its kinda 20-30 euros off each of us, if you look at your character's gold as real money, which it can easily be. And us spending POTENTIAL real life money on Warframe, that gold is removed from the game's ecosystem, thus deflating prices, and making most people pay next month's worth of subs with credit card. To be fair, most people i know and talk with are hovering on about 200-300k up to half a million gold, so quite some will be very dry after getting rep to get mount.

To be exact, i still earn 400-500.000 a month playing casually for around 2 hours per day with just two characters. (alchemist and scribe) add order missions and other ways of income, but before with same amount of time invested, i was earning millions a month.

I don't like the proff change as i dont have too much time to devote to getting good patterns on Alts, but its not a game breaker for me
    Last edited by IndoReal; 2017-09-06 at 05:04 PM.

I'm boring, and I think that the crafting system was at it's best in Vanilla - where you had recipes which you got by doing a cool quest/reputation with the dudes who have them etc etc. (I'm a blacksmith) and also the Armour/Weapon masteries etc etc.

I feel like it's become so dumbed down now that it's kinda pointless. I think there should be ways to craft gear and then upgrade it to the level of raids/m+ that you do by mats which drop rarely in that difficulty, that way it makes a reasonable replacement if you (for example) have a massive bad luck train on getting a piece of gear.

I also basically hated the fact that they made all of the items have random stats, that's just really irritating and an effort to create an economy which doesn't need to exist if they put more thought into the whole process.

anyways, rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Loosecannon View Post
    I'm boring, and I think that the crafting system was at it's best in Vanilla - where you had recipes which you got by doing a cool quest/reputation with the dudes who have them etc etc. (I'm a blacksmith) and also the Armour/Weapon masteries etc etc.

I feel like it's become so dumbed down now that it's kinda pointless. I think there should be ways to craft gear and then upgrade it to the level of raids/m+ that you do by mats which drop rarely in that difficulty, that way it makes a reasonable replacement if you (for example) have a massive bad luck train on getting a piece of gear.

I also basically hated the fact that they made all of the items have random stats, that's just really irritating and an effort to create an economy which doesn't need to exist if they put more thought into the whole process.

anyways, rant over
    It was at it's best in Vanilla.
    When only a few people had the rarest recipes and you knew them by name. When recipes actually mattered and when your characters had an actual server identity.

But Blizzard completely destroyed every RPG aspect of this game for the sake of convenience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Professions are worthless to begin with, now it is even worse because of the way profession skill level up

I like it much better than standing at the AH power leveling. It's been nice having some story and lore mixed in.

Except for the quests to craft legendaries. Those were dumb, not because they were longer but because the they didn't make sense (at least the BS didn't).

Reputation and BOP drops are the worst things they could have added for professions imo. If I find a recipe to make something, I should be able to choose whether to learn it or sell it, equally (this is specific to Legion but it's a general point) if I'm making all this effort to save the world from an army of demons and you have a recipe to craft something that could help me, why the hell would you not give it to me until I've done enough tasks to please you. It makes no sense. I have no issue with the "learnt from crafting" recipes, although the current RNG sucks, it should be a finite number before you learn with the chance to learn sooner if you're lucky but overall it makes sense that if you make something a lot, you'd learn how to make it more efficiently.

Professions are really dated and the new system didn't do much to help that. I really hope they overhaul them completely soon as the current "run in circles for hours looking for nodes" and "sit and afk for 20 minutes whilst you craft X amount" are really not fun or immersive gameplay. I actually liked the mini game for jewelcrafting where you had to chip away at the gem for a chance to learn a new one. I think that should be the mechanic for actually crafting gems. Not only would it make botting harder if there was some real interaction required but it'd would reward whoever actually put in effort rather than who can click and afk the most. I honestly think adding more interaction would improve the professions so much.

Take a look at the planned crafting mechanics for Chronicles of Elyria. Whether that game ever actually comes out or not and is good or not remains to be seen but the plans they have for actually having to craft things to make them look so much better than the system WoW currently has. As I said, they're outdated. At the time vanilla was released they worked and did what they were intended for but now in a game where everyone can make everything and level alts to have all professions really easily, they need something new to make professions unique and exciting again.

tbh, the dude in charge of profs at blizzard needs to be fired....wtf is this shit this expansion...rng for recipies, ridiculous amounts of mats for very little payout in crafting. just stupid.

Many other games have a similiar RNG profession system and there it works great, but the issue with it in WoW is that it's easier and costs way less to get better gear in other ways.