Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every week? Damn they must either have a lot of money or the tattoos they're getting are cheap shitty ones.

I love tattoos but in moderation and when they're not generic tribal tattoos. If you're getting a tattoo it should either be a unique design or something with meaning or maybe both if you're that creative. I someday plan on getting one but I'm not getting one until I'm absolutely sure I know exactly what I want. I have an idea for a design that has a little background to it. I have a statue of an Indian my grandfather had and he gave it to me a long time ago because he knew I liked it. He passed a few years ago. So my idea was to get a bust of the statue and maybe have like a wolf or a raven next to it just to give it more depth. I'm not totally sure how I am going to go about it yet but I know for sure I want that Indian as a tattoo. I also have ideas for 2 more that I'd want but I'm focusing more on this one. It'll be my first ever tattoo.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-08-05 at 02:20 PM.

Tattoos have always been loved by people. We've been inking our skin back in the B.C eras. Of course, our methods were much more painful and time-consuming.

I take tattoos as another form of art, a far more.. permanent form of art. I would always stress for people to be 100% certain on the tattoo they seek to get. Because getting that spongebob tattoo is going to be a very difficult peice to cover if you regret years later.

I personally aim to get a tattoo of the Gnomeregan symbol from World of Warcraft, as it does resemble some of my most fond memories with my best friend from from Junior High to Today. Raids, PVP, and the main inspiration of roleplay that led into greater things. I aim to get that on my shoulder or back.

Are they cool? I never got the point of being reminded of my life. I have the memories, tattooing my body doesn't effect that.

Tats are the coolest thing in the world. Still wondering why this guy hasn't got a job yet.

From a guy perspective who grew up in the 80s 90s with the rock culture etc: I always loved tattoos as a kid & teen back in the late 80s and 90s. Wanted a badass devil (retro / cartoony 50s style) on my left shoulder back then. Then years went, late 90s early 00s sleeves tatoos became popular because of numetal bands. Me hating Numetal i walked away. Then eventually mid 00s Numetal died but a new form of cancer slowly emerged in the 2010s: Hipsters. They got sleeves, tattoos on the fingers, neck etc.

Long story short: tattoos were cool for me back then because they were a sub culture / rebel thing. Nowadays Hipsters are everywhere and tattoos are mainstream. Killing a lot of the cultural appeal (for me) for getting tattoos. It is also pretty bad to have tattoos in Japan, a country I love. Been there several times.

As a art form I still love it though. I even considered working as a tattoo artist at some point. Ended up being a clean guy working in finance. The irony.
    Last edited by Gratlim; 2017-08-05 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I'd say this subject falls into a grey area unless you want to classify 'written history' as exclusively that which was done on paper.
    No, it's rather black and white. If it's bunch of cavedwellers painting mammoths, it's not part of history. If it's letters, hieroglyphs, runes or I don't what kind of signs carved, written or painted on a surface that can range all the way from wood, stone, clay to including paper, it's part of history. Oral tradition is not part of history, as it preceeds it. Main reason being, humorously enough, unreliability of the oral tradition. Still as the historians are the ones that had to start with something and limit their filed of work with some substantial deliniation, this one works just fine.

I don't really care about someone wanting to tattoo themselves, what gets me is how bad many of the tattoos are. They look something they tried to do themselves or had their kid take a swing at it (and seriously folks, there are other colors besides dark green). I have trouble taking someone seriously about how the tattoos "represent their soul" when it looks like they just came out on the losing side of a drunken brawl with a Sharpie salesman.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why do you care how other people look?

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    How do you know he doesn't, nor hasn't, had a job?

And what is a 'job' in this thread exactly? I see so many people saying this is why they don't get tattoos. What 'jobs' are you missing out on if you get a tattoo? Remember this is 2017 people. I saw a banker with a hand tat last week.
    I obviously know him personally.

Then how do you know if he does or does not have employment?
    Because I obviously know him personally?

You made the statement not me dude
    Exactly fam.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    No, it's rather black and white. If it's bunch of cavedwellers painting mammoths, it's not part of history. If it's letters, hieroglyphs, runes or I don't what kind of signs carved, written or painted on a surface that can range all the way from wood, stone, clay to including paper, it's part of history. Oral tradition is not part of history, as it preceeds it. Main reason being, humorously enough, unreliability of the oral tradition. Still as the historians are the ones that had to start with something and limit their filed of work with some substantial deliniation, this one works just fine.
    So would tattoos that indicate geneology, status, origin, etc then be counted among this definition of written history? since
    If it's letters, hieroglyphs, runes or I don't what kind of signs carved, written or painted on a surface that can range all the way from wood, stone, clay to including paper, it's part of history.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    So would tattoos that indicate geneology, status, origin, etc then be counted among this definition of written history? since
    The tattoos itself probably not, because in terms of what concerns history, they have as much value as oral tradition or cave paintings (none at all). Make a transcript of it though, and sure no problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltin View Post
    So Edgy. 2 Edgy 4 me.
    That's funny... exactly what I think of people that get a tat because it 'looks cool'.

The tattoos itself probably not, because in terms of what concerns history, they have as much value as oral tradition or cave paintings (none at all). Make a transcript of it though, and sure no problem there.
    Seems that the form of transcript matters though. Since apparently not all written forms or symbols count. According to your view.

But I guess this is what happens when one culture nearly gets stamped out.

I wanted to have an "SPQR" tattoo when I was a teen because I saw that in Gladiator; then I learned Roman soldiers would never have tattoos so I stopped wanting that lol. I have a better memory than most people I know so I don't need drawing on my skin or even pictures to remember important events.