10+ Year Old Account

Anybody here ever work at a call center?

Last year I wanted to drive a certain car, so I took a part time job working at a call center for a major American cellular carrier, specifically technical support. I did this for 6 months. I was amazed at the level of entitlement that the frequent caller displayed on their calls. Has anyone else here ever worked at a call center (any call center) and did you have the same sort of impression?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Callers are terrible, terrible entitled, spoiled assholes.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite is the one where the customer gives you a 10-15 minute litany about all the service problems they've had with cell carrier X and then says that all of that will be forgiven if I shit them a new iPhone for free because the caller jumped into a swimming pool with his original iPhone in his pocket and didn't have insurance on the device.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah now i understand why you are this bitter all the time, i would be to if i worked somewhere like that.

You really have my honest sympathy.

I think along with having to do 2 years of some type of civil service(military, police, firefighting, emt, etc), everyone should also be required to do customer service for 1-2 years. Maybe if people had to deal with people like that, they might have a little self reflection, and not be a total PITA. Also might help, once some of the older generations that grew up with the saying "the customer is always right" fades out. Because no, the customer is almost always wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Last year I wanted to drive a certain car, so I took a part time job working at a call center for a major American cellular carrier, specifically technical support. I did this for 6 months. I was amazed at the level of entitlement that the frequent caller displayed on their calls. Has anyone else here ever worked at a call center (any call center) and did you have the same sort of impression?
    What you can do is just shit on them. Be nice and courteous on the phone and don't do anything for them - they can see where they will end up

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEagle888 View Post
    What you can do is just shit on them.
    Well, sure, but not if you want to stay employed very long. Another type of caller was the one who knew that we weren't supposed to hang up on callers and basically just used us for entertainment... not answering any questions, not saying the reason for their call, etc.

Well, sure, but not if you want to stay employed very long. Another type of caller was the one who knew that we weren't supposed to hang up on callers and basically just used us for entertainment... not answering any questions, not saying the reason for their call, etc.
    yep you can get assholes like that - since you can not end the call however you can play around with him doing nothing. Oh and try to do some shit for them - just not the exact same he"she requested

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only did I work at a call center, I worked at a call center for a billing/collections department.

The absolute worst of the entitled little shits.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Yes. Callers are terrible, terrible entitled, spoiled assholes.
    Funny, in my experience call center workers for cell providers have been douchey, sleazy, incompetent and uncaring assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and try to do some shit for them - just not the exact same he"she requested
    Again, I'd like to point out to the fine folks who may be reading that this advice is only good for those trying to get terminated.

I'd never last a day in such job. I would hang up the phone half the time, when some customer can't figure out 1+1=2 level stuff, despite having it explained to them 3 times already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Again, I'd like to point out to the fine folks who may be reading that this advice is only good for those trying to get terminated.
    On the other hand if every worker followed this rule, everyone will keep their job, and customers would become mindful over time as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Ah now i understand why you are this bitter all the time, i would be to if i worked somewhere like that.

You really have my honest sympathy.
    You know a good place to work?

10+ Year Old Account
    On the other hand if every worker followed this rule, everyone will keep their job, and customers would become mindful over time as well.

You know a good place to work?
    Learn a trade and you'll have plenty of work and never have to sit behind a phone and get shouted at.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Learn a trade and you'll have plenty of work and never have to sit behind a phone and get shouted at.
    Nice Do you work a trade like that?