Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Rebranding the Swastika?

Rebranding the Swastika?

So a clothing company decided that it wanted to rebrand the swastika (a notorious nazi symbol) from a symbol of hate to its original symbol of that of peace and good fortune that was used for thousand of years by cultures all over the world before the nazis used it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40848372

As you can read it caused a massive backlash and the company has now taken it down.

So could the Swastika ever be rebranded to its original meaning or is it tainted for good?.

IMO its forever tainted and if you walked around wearing one of those t-shirts you would get your head kicked in and no matter how much you try to tell them its not what it means.

Deleted
    Are we running out of symbols or something? Since we apparently need to recycle old ones?

It is beyond saving, but IMO all negative symbols/words should be rebranded.

People in the relevant places, South East Asia, already use the Swastika for its original meaning. Never stopped.

So a bunch of Westerners trying to do so seems quite pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they aren't going to rebrand it, it isn't going to be rebranded any more than the KKK, or the Confederate flag or the ISIS flag will be, those flags those organizations have been anointed in blood.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

We should rebrand Pepe.

IMO it depends who's doing it.

If the company is run by a Hindu or Buddhist, go for it.

If the company is run by a couple "edgy" non-Hindu/Buddhist teens... they're technically right, but they don't really have any authority to say they're "re-claiming" it. So maybe not the greatest idea.

The company making these has tried to keep their leadership team/employees/address etc., fairly hidden, so we'll have to wait a few days until someone finds them...

Deleted
    when some shit is within living memory it aint changing.

This is a pr stunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure Hindus draw it as a square rather than at an angle. Also if I recall the Hindu symbol has 4 dots between the lines.

Like this:

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

They just recoloured the Nazi version... of course it was going to cause shit. If they had dropped the circular background, the diagonal placement and the hard right-angles - something closer to the Buddhist/Hindo/Janist version, it probably would have gone down better.

Although the symbol itself has no other meaning to reclaim for western people.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2017-08-08 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, isn't the good verison called the manji and not swastika at all? And also looks different? So the swastika the nazi's used was never a peace symbol?

What a fucking stupid wasted effort in any case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    People in the relevant places, South East Asia, already use the Swastika for its original meaning. Never stopped.

So a bunch of Westerners trying to do so seems quite pointless.
    Which primarily have more to do with that what the nazis did were centred closer to africa, europe, and eastern eurasia.

Show those same people the war flag of imperial Japan, and you're likely to have many react in much the same way as westerners do to the swastika.
    Last edited by zealo; 2017-08-08 at 03:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rebrand Skinny Jeans Brought to you by the UFC, nothing like making someone Tap Out, before you Tap Out from the blood loss to your testicles.

Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-08-08 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That company was dumb as shit.
    While the idea may be noble, they had to expect backlash like they got.

Anything else is irresponsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Pretty sure Hindus draw it as a square rather than at an angle. Also if I recall the Hindu symbol has 4 dots between the lines.
    Both Nazis and the various Asian cultures and religions that use the swastika used both straight and angled variants. The dots are also only in some forms of non-Nazi swastikas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Rebrand Skinny Jeans Brought to you by the UFC, nothing like making someone Tap Out, before you Tap Out from the blood loss to your testicles.
    Anyone who drinks bottled water doesn't have testicles

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the company that had the rainbow colours with the swastika wasn't it?

One of the biggest problems I saw with it was that the current LGBTIQ+ community uses the rainbow as its logo across everything.

The first thing I saw was an attempt at linking the two together, which in turn vilifies the rainbow rather than "rebrand" the swastika.

Completely backwards on their attempts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Anyone who drinks bottled water doesn't have testicles
    Yeah, but at least

10+ Year Old Account
    And regardless of anything the company did, knowingly or unknowingly...it worked.

Here we are talking about it...

and lots of people complaining about it...

thats marketing....the best kind....the free kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? We already have a western peace symbol.