Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool AMD Ryzen Threadripper - AMD is back in the game!

Gaming performance is basically the same as the rest of their Ryzen line of CPUs, but holy moly. This CPU is intense and that motherboard, the ASUS Zenith Extreme, is just beautiful. I really want to build a new computer around this now. ._.

Discuss! Anyone have plans for Threadripper? Remember, for purely gaming, Intel is still mainly ahead, however for basically everything else, especially multithreaded programs: AMD is now squarely in 1st place, especially given the $1,000 price versus Intel's higher prices on their 10+ core CPUs.

As TTL mentions, water-cooling is indeed, basically, a NEEDED scenario with Threadripper. AIOs are good enough, but if you really want to overclock, you're better off with dedicated water-cooling.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Good to hear. Reviews are outstanding as with the other Ryzen. Also helps that optimisation has been great. RAM is expensive though but another area to gain better performance from besides overclocking from.

I just built my Ryzen 1700. My first AMD purchase ever. Brilliant cpu so far. Loving the motherboard(same price for an intel mobo would have been feature thin). Nice upgrade from the 3770k I had. No hitching or pauses changing apps etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I'm surprised you had hitching/pauses changing apps. >_> That sounds like something else was wrong, that's definitely not that CPU. The 3770K was a powerful CPU and still is admirable.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Gaming performance is basically the same as the rest of their Ryzen line of CPUs, but holy moly. This CPU is intense and that motherboard, the ASUS Zenith Extreme, is just beautiful. I really want to build a new computer around this now. ._.

Discuss! Anyone have plans for Threadripper? Remember, for purely gaming, Intel is still mainly ahead, however for basically everything else, especially multithreaded programs: AMD is now squarely in 1st place, especially given the $1,000 price versus Intel's higher prices on their 10+ core CPUs.

As TTL mentions, water-cooling is indeed, basically, a NEEDED scenario with Threadripper. AIOs are good enough, but if you really want to overclock, you're better off with dedicated water-cooling.
    I like the Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 design better then the ROG board if i should build a Threadripper setup
    Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

To be honest, I'm surprised you had hitching/pauses changing apps. >_> That sounds like something else was wrong, that's definitely not that CPU. The 3770K was a powerful CPU and still is admirable.
    I sometimes wonder if a lot of the "snappiness" people associate with a new build is just a straight up clean windows install. I remember when my first i7920 burnt out and was basically DOA, my AMD machine it was replacing felt wild again.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Debating on building a threadripper setup once we move.
    That performance at that price point is really appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fact that it essentially requires liquid cooling is a big fail in my eyes. It shows a lack of efficiency in the design. I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they used the full four dies.
    You mean running lower wattage and lower temps than intels equivalent(core count) is bad design?

The fact that it essentially requires liquid cooling is a big fail in my eyes. It shows a lack of efficiency in the design. I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they used the full four dies.
    intels closest competition:
    https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...E5-2683V4&c=CJ

Costs about $1000 more and has a 5W higher TDP. I guess that has an ever bigger lackof efficiency in design and is a big fail too right?

Deleted
    If it only uses half the space in the CPU and still can't keep cool without liquid? 100%
    Have you even watched the video? Or seen any other review? It does not require liquid cooler by any means. It have very good power draw and temps on air. You need liquid cooling if you are going to OC ALL THE COREs and by a quite a big margin too.

Nope, because it can be cooled with air.
    So can threadripper. If AIOs are enough, then good air coolers are too because some of the good air coolers are actually better than AIOs. I really find the statement the OP made:
    water-cooling is indeed, basically, a NEEDED scenario with Threadripper. AIOs are good enough, but if you really want to overclock, you're better off with dedicated water-cooling.
    to be kinda silly. If AIOs are good enough, so are quality air coolers. Check this out
    http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2768&page=6

As you can see the Dark Rock 3, Dark Rock Pro 3 and the NH-D15 all outperform the H80i, which is an AIO. So if AIOs are ok, so are good air coolers. Both can be cooled with air just fine. The intel has a higher TDP so it's going to produce more heat. So if you say it about Threadripper, it's true for intel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It also runs at 2.1Ghz. Bet if you ran a Threadripper at the same, you'd be able to also cool it with air.
    It doesn't suit his narrative though.

10+ Year Old Account
    These coolers don't have a proper fitting plate that covers both cores completely yet. Customized coolers with a bigger cold-plate should perform a bit better. Thermals are not really an issue with these chips anyway. I bet a high quality AIO with a proper fitting plate and a big radiator could potentially cool even all 4 cores (32 cores/64 threads) if need be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I sometimes wonder if a lot of the "snappiness" people associate with a new build is just a straight up clean windows install. I remember when my first i7920 burnt out and was basically DOA, my AMD machine it was replacing felt wild again.
    idk... I've had same Windows installs for years and if you just keep it up-to-date, clean, etc? Don't populate the RAM to 99%? Everything will mostly remain the same...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    These coolers don't have a proper fitting plate that covers both cores completely yet. Customized coolers with a bigger cold-plate should perform a bit better. Thermals are not really an issue with these chips anyway. I bet a high quality AIO with a proper fitting plate and a big radiator could potentially cool even all 4 cores (32 cores/64 threads) if need be.
    He was even saying, his main issue wasn't the CPU itself, but the rear of it.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    yet being the operative word. There are also these:
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u9-tr4-sp3
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-tr4-sp3
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3

which are new, so there aren't really benchmarks for them yet, but I assume they would perform similarly to the NH-D15 and they were practically designed just for Threadripper. Gonna tell me a company like Noctua is going to design something for Threadripper and it's not gonna be capable of keeping it cool enough? They offer a 6 year warranty on the cooler, so they are standing behind it and come on, it's Noctua. Noctua makes some of the best air coolers on the market.

So in short, air is just fine for these things. It's only if OCing ALL cores to the MAX that liquid cooling becomes essentially required. The same could be said of nearly any CPU that you want to OC the shit out of. Higher clocks usually require more volts which needs better cooling.

Deleted
    Interested in the 12 core one, mean gotta double up on cores from the 5820K, its the only way to see it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    yet being the operative word. There are also these:
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u9-tr4-sp3
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-tr4-sp3
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3

which are new, so there aren't really benchmarks for them yet, but I assume they would perform similarly to the NH-D15 and they were practically designed just for Threadripper. Gonna tell me a company like Noctua is going to design something for Threadripper and it's not gonna be capable of keeping it cool enough? They offer a 6 year warranty on the cooler, so they are standing behind it and come on, it's Noctua. Noctua makes some of the best air coolers on the market.

So in short, air is just fine for these things. It's only if OCing ALL cores to the MAX that liquid cooling becomes essentially required. The same could be said of nearly any CPU that you want to OC the shit out of. Higher clocks usually require more volts which needs better cooling.
    They're all technically the same as their non TR4 counterpart with the caveat of having a bigger base, which should help with heat transfer.
    Example of U14S non TR4 is here for a 200W load. 12V fan speed and 7V fan speed. Going off those numbers with a U14S it'll sit comfortably at a 55-60C range (assuming 27-30C ambient case temp). Since it has solder instead of TIM, the temperature difference is only going to be 1-2C when factoring in the IHS layer (going by Ryzen delid numbers iirc).
    Their test today shows the package doesn't go above their TDP of 180 at stock, sitting at 176-177 so it's within TDP. As opposed to Skylake-X going above TDP.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/...oler-roundup/7

Last edited by Remilia; 2017-08-10 at 11:56 PM.

You mean EPYC? That seems to be doing quite well in the server/computing market. Kinda unrelated, but that's what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking for to a build with the 1900X, when ever that comes about. Want to build a TR-Vega pc to last me for the next 5 years. lol

Air cooling on stock should not be a issue for these cpu's, they all are close to their TDP's at +- 176-177W under full load which can be handled by a good air cooler. Overclocking will be a different beast though, tom's has one of the few Overlocking results, they had the powerusage (CPU only, not full system) peak at 320-325W at 3.9Ghz with 1.35V all core OC and had to go custom water loop to keep temps in check. Their AIO couldn't keep the system stable at 3.9Ghz All core and 1.35V.

idk... I've had same Windows installs for years and if you just keep it up-to-date, clean, etc? Don't populate the RAM to 99%? Everything will mostly remain the same...
    It is definitely 100x better than it was with xp(I have never reinstalled this PC I am typing on, not in nearly 10 years), but I don't know a new install always seems somewhat more slick even with all the crap reinstalled.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    It is definitely 100x better than it was with xp(I have never reinstalled this PC I am typing on, not in nearly 10 years), but I don't know a new install always seems somewhat more slick even with all the crap reinstalled.
    There's a lot of factors at play.
    "A flower.