About the 8.1 multithread optimizations.

Is there a minimum amount of cores needed to see an uptick in fps? Will a 4 core 4 thread i5 see a boost? Will the FPS scale with core count or will there be a plateau?

What im really curious about is if IPC/single thread performance is still king, or will we see older chips with 8 threads (amd fx for example) start to overtake faster i5's?

You won't see a BIG difference unless you are now being bottlenecked by your CPU and it only works on DX12

- - - Updated - - -

No the I5 won't see a boost no multithread no party , but if the CPU is not very old it won't matter. More games are moving forward with MT so in a few years using an i7 or higher will be the norm

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    You won't see a BIG difference unless you are now being bottlenecked by your CPU and it only works on DX12
    Well basically everyone in WoW is bottlenecked by their cpu lol. DX12 only requires a gpu made in the last ~5 years and windows 10.

For example i have two PC's one with a 8700k and one with a 4670k, one has 6 cores 12 threads the other 4c 4t. Im curious what system will be seeing a bigger gain percentage wise after 8.1 lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Well basically everyone in WoW is bottlenecked by their cpu lol. DX12 only requires a gpu made in the last ~5 years and windows 10.

For example i have two PC's one with a 8700k and one with a 4670k, one has 6 cores 12 threads the other 4c 4t. Im curious what system will be seeing a bigger gain percentage wise after 8.1 lands.
    I'm using 4670k right now and cpu is deffo whats limiting me in Boralus for example I've heard Blizz say they have seen up to 50% improvement on some hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andonais View Post
    I'm using 4670k right now and cpu is deffo whats limiting me in Boralus for example I've heard Blizz say they have seen up to 50% improvement on some hardware.
    That's probably only on enthusiast-grade super-high corecount chips like Threadripper/HEDT.

As for OP: You'll see a bigger bump with your 8700k than your 4670k, but you should notice a small bump on both

I wonder if my i7 9700k will see any gains with DX12

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt blizzard is capable of increasing anythings performance by 50%

Of course it will see gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    I wonder if my i7 9700k will see any gains with DX12

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt blizzard is capable of increasing anythings performance by 50%
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    CPU
    maxed with a 7 year old CPU
    I7-2700k@5GHz (2011) vs 7700k or 8700k
    Link: http://valid.x86.fr/bench/u7nh78/1

GPU
    maxed with a GTX 780+
    for notebook GPU's it is between a mobile-1060 and a mobile-1070 for maxed/capped performance
    Link: WoW Legion 25 GPU Benchmarks

I use a i7-2700k@5GHz with a GTX 980 for WoW and there is still no performance upgade available.

This is funny, because people still buying 1080-Ti-1000EUR-bitcoinshitprice GPUs with a low single-core CPU exclusive for WoW.
    Not sure about your gains, but if you get something out of it, I might too with 4 cores at 5GHz running since years: