Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Horde and agriculture

Do orcs and trolls grow crops? I remember one of the major problems within Durotar under Garrosh was a lack of resources.
    This is the difference between me and you, Vol'jin. I won't let MY people starve to death in the desert. I will stop at nothing - NOTHING - to ensure a proud and glorious future for the orcs and anyone with the courage to stand with us. Wait here.
    I feel like a lot of problems in Durotar would be solved if the orcs adopted widespread agriculture. I mean the tauren seem to have adopted it, from memory I'm pretty sure they grow some kind of wheat and maize.

7+ Year Old Account
    Given that we've seen farms outside of Orgrimmar, more than likely yes. I couldn't imagine orcs living off of pork alone.

EDIT: Well, they are orcs... so maybe it is just a pork diet.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the river flooding ruined a lot of the orc farms. Which lead to some of the issues that lead to the invasion of ashenvale
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    They grow rice mostly it seems they are focused on raising animals more than growing crops.

There's a reason most (if not all) of the farms we see in Durotar are pig farms. Meat must be the primary food for orcs. They probably couldn't import all the crops they need to raise enough pigs for the whole Orgrimmar from elsewhere, so they must also be growing some crops on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    There's a reason most (if not all) of the farms we see in Durotar are pig farms. Meat must be the primary food for orcs. They probably couldn't import all the crops they need to raise enough pigs for the whole Orgrimmar from elsewhere, so they must also be growing some crops on the spot.
    I mean look at their muscle mass, they need the protein
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Maybe because Taurens are herbivores, I am not sure if Orcs are Omnivores or Carnivores

Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    Maybe because Taurens are herbivores, I am not sure if Orcs are Omnivores or Carnivores
    Tauren hunt and have fishing villages, so I would say no.

Aside from worgen, I'm pretty sure all of the playable races are omnivores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    Considering orcs make bread, we know they aren't carnivores. Tauren hunt and eat plainstriders too.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they had a 100% pork diet, you still have to feed the pigs something.

Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    Given that we've seen farms outside of Orgrimmar, more than likely yes. I couldn't imagine orcs living off of pork alone.

EDIT: Well, they are orcs... so maybe it is just a pork diet.
    A really stupid and minor counter point, but doesn't Saurfang or someone say specifically he doesn't eat pork

Maybe it was just a joke, but meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    A really stupid and minor counter point, but doesn't Saurfang or someone say specifically he doesn't eat pork

Maybe it was just a joke, but meh.

Saurfang doesn't eat pork because the squeals of the slaughtered pigs remininded him of the deaths of Draenei children. Apperantly it's a common thing amongst older orcs that they can't stand slaughter time.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Saurfang doesn't eat pork because the squeals of the slaughtered pigs remininded him of the deaths of Draenei children. Apperantly it's a common thing amongst older orcs that they can't stand slaughter time.
    I knew it had to do with the Draenei children, I just wasn't sure how serious he was at the time, since he was kinda talking down to Garrosh the whole time.

But okay, so then if it is more common, they can't have an all pork diet.

Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    Even if they had a 100% pork diet, you still have to feed the pigs something.
    You can feed the pigs with cacti or fish, or if at hand, dead members of Alliance.

I mean, up until now, it didn't really look like orcs ever worked the fields. As for Durotar, you can't really work anything there. The whole zone is a stone desert, so pig farms it is.

I'm pretty sure orcs also eat chicken, considering there are chickens wandering around Orgrimmar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'd assume that the Orcs are omnivorous but they have diets heavy in protein and meat. There isn't a whole lot of land in WoW's game world that is used for agriculture - even the presence of farms in the Alliance starting zones are far too small to support Stormwind or even the neighboring villages. I'd assume that there are tracts of farmland being used to supply all the major cities, but only the ones that are involved with in-game quests or events are ever shown. The Darkspears being island trolls probably catch and eat a lot of fish in their diets, supplemented with vegetables and grains from their mainland holdings like Sen'jin village.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I'd assume that the Orcs are omnivorous but they have diets heavy in protein and meat. There isn't a whole lot of land in WoW's game world that is used for agriculture - even the presence of farms in the Alliance starting zones are far too small to support Stormwind or even the neighboring villages. I'd assume that there are tracts of farmland being used to supply all the major cities, but only the ones that are involved with in-game quests or events are ever shown. The Darkspears being island trolls probably catch and eat a lot of fish in their diets, supplemented with vegetables and grains from their mainland holdings like Sen'jin village.
    Yea, lore wise the farms and entire areas would have to be bigger or the populations would entirely collapse. Barrens being described as taking months to cross lorewise but 4 minutes in game time.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Given orcs natural affinity for evil as well as absurd ability to repopulate, i assumed cannibalism is main form of obtaining food for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Given orcs natural affinity for evil as well as absurd ability to repopulate, i assumed cannibalism is main form of obtaining food for them.
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.
    Holy shit lol

Well we all know what 'Crops' the trolls grow mon but they will tell you its medicinal!

But in all seriousness Orcs just like meat and the trolls seem to feed from what comes out of the forests and the sea. The undead dont need to eat and the Belfs can summon food out of thin air. The Tauren are hunter gatherers and Goblins just buy whatever they like from who ever they like.