Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Horde and agriculture

    Do orcs and trolls grow crops? I remember one of the major problems within Durotar under Garrosh was a lack of resources.
    This is the difference between me and you, Vol'jin. I won't let MY people starve to death in the desert. I will stop at nothing - NOTHING - to ensure a proud and glorious future for the orcs and anyone with the courage to stand with us. Wait here.
    I feel like a lot of problems in Durotar would be solved if the orcs adopted widespread agriculture. I mean the tauren seem to have adopted it, from memory I'm pretty sure they grow some kind of wheat and maize.

  2. #2
    Given that we've seen farms outside of Orgrimmar, more than likely yes. I couldn't imagine orcs living off of pork alone.

    EDIT: Well, they are orcs... so maybe it is just a pork diet.

  3. #3
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Posts
    20,121
    Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the river flooding ruined a lot of the orc farms. Which lead to some of the issues that lead to the invasion of ashenvale
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Nathreim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    2,645
    They grow rice mostly it seems they are focused on raising animals more than growing crops.

  5. #5
    There's a reason most (if not all) of the farms we see in Durotar are pig farms. Meat must be the primary food for orcs. They probably couldn't import all the crops they need to raise enough pigs for the whole Orgrimmar from elsewhere, so they must also be growing some crops on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

  6. #6
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Posts
    20,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    There's a reason most (if not all) of the farms we see in Durotar are pig farms. Meat must be the primary food for orcs. They probably couldn't import all the crops they need to raise enough pigs for the whole Orgrimmar from elsewhere, so they must also be growing some crops on the spot.
    I mean look at their muscle mass, they need the protein
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

  7. #7
    Maybe because Taurens are herbivores, I am not sure if Orcs are Omnivores or Carnivores

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    Maybe because Taurens are herbivores, I am not sure if Orcs are Omnivores or Carnivores
    Tauren hunt and have fishing villages, so I would say no.

    Aside from worgen, I'm pretty sure all of the playable races are omnivores.

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Posts
    20,121
    Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    Maybe because Taurens are herbivores, I am not sure if Orcs are Omnivores or Carnivores
    Considering orcs make bread, we know they aren't carnivores. Tauren hunt and eat plainstriders too.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

  10. #10
    Epic! videotape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,625
    Even if they had a 100% pork diet, you still have to feed the pigs something.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    Given that we've seen farms outside of Orgrimmar, more than likely yes. I couldn't imagine orcs living off of pork alone.

    EDIT: Well, they are orcs... so maybe it is just a pork diet.
    A really stupid and minor counter point, but doesn't Saurfang or someone say specifically he doesn't eat pork

    Maybe it was just a joke, but meh.

  12. #12
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Posts
    20,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    A really stupid and minor counter point, but doesn't Saurfang or someone say specifically he doesn't eat pork

    Maybe it was just a joke, but meh.

    Saurfang doesn't eat pork because the squeals of the slaughtered pigs remininded him of the deaths of Draenei children. Apperantly it's a common thing amongst older orcs that they can't stand slaughter time.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Saurfang doesn't eat pork because the squeals of the slaughtered pigs remininded him of the deaths of Draenei children. Apperantly it's a common thing amongst older orcs that they can't stand slaughter time.
    I knew it had to do with the Draenei children, I just wasn't sure how serious he was at the time, since he was kinda talking down to Garrosh the whole time.

    But okay, so then if it is more common, they can't have an all pork diet.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    Even if they had a 100% pork diet, you still have to feed the pigs something.
    You can feed the pigs with cacti or fish, or if at hand, dead members of Alliance.

    I mean, up until now, it didn't really look like orcs ever worked the fields. As for Durotar, you can't really work anything there. The whole zone is a stone desert, so pig farms it is.

  15. #15
    I'm pretty sure orcs also eat chicken, considering there are chickens wandering around Orgrimmar.

  16. #16
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    20,857
    I'd assume that the Orcs are omnivorous but they have diets heavy in protein and meat. There isn't a whole lot of land in WoW's game world that is used for agriculture - even the presence of farms in the Alliance starting zones are far too small to support Stormwind or even the neighboring villages. I'd assume that there are tracts of farmland being used to supply all the major cities, but only the ones that are involved with in-game quests or events are ever shown. The Darkspears being island trolls probably catch and eat a lot of fish in their diets, supplemented with vegetables and grains from their mainland holdings like Sen'jin village.
    "The finest line of poetry ever uttered in the history of this whole damn country was said by Canada Bill Jones in 1853, in Baton Rouge, while he was being robbed blind in a crooked game of Faro. George Devol, who was, like Canada Bill, not a man who was averse to fleecing the odd sucker, drew Bill aside and asked him if he couldn't see that the game was crooked. And Canada Bill sighed, and shrugged his shoulders, and said, 'I know. But it's the only game in town.' And he went back to the game." -- Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"

  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Posts
    20,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I'd assume that the Orcs are omnivorous but they have diets heavy in protein and meat. There isn't a whole lot of land in WoW's game world that is used for agriculture - even the presence of farms in the Alliance starting zones are far too small to support Stormwind or even the neighboring villages. I'd assume that there are tracts of farmland being used to supply all the major cities, but only the ones that are involved with in-game quests or events are ever shown. The Darkspears being island trolls probably catch and eat a lot of fish in their diets, supplemented with vegetables and grains from their mainland holdings like Sen'jin village.
    Yea, lore wise the farms and entire areas would have to be bigger or the populations would entirely collapse. Barrens being described as taking months to cross lorewise but 4 minutes in game time.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

  18. #18
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Given orcs natural affinity for evil as well as absurd ability to repopulate, i assumed cannibalism is main form of obtaining food for them.

  19. #19
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Posts
    20,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Given orcs natural affinity for evil as well as absurd ability to repopulate, i assumed cannibalism is main form of obtaining food for them.
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

  20. #20
    Well we all know what 'Crops' the trolls grow mon but they will tell you its medicinal!

    But in all seriousness Orcs just like meat and the trolls seem to feed from what comes out of the forests and the sea. The undead dont need to eat and the Belfs can summon food out of thin air. The Tauren are hunter gatherers and Goblins just buy whatever they like from who ever they like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •