Thread: holy palys bad?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imo Holy is in a good place. Played some during WoD and was not at all amused by the holy power system. Now it's more straightforward. Strong and direct heals with somewhat loose requirements on spell rotation. Great for reactionary play during progress and difficult m+ keystones.

Deleted
    Have to jump on this thread as there are some very special snowflakes. If you are still reading this OP then yes, a holy paladin is amazing like god tier balls deep great fun. They are little monsters in Mythic+ and this is coming from one being my alt at 910 ilvl healing a +12 yesterday with no problems at all in fact 10 times easyer than if I did it on my 931ilvl main.

I main a shammy healer https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/24666415 so you can see I’m not speaking without some knowledge. Any keyboard warriors we didn’t have time to finish heroic last week so the last two parses will be golden by Thursday.

I personally wouldn’t have the pally as my main raiding healer, as I prefer raid healing rather than being a single target focused class when others can heal raid groups better. But they have a hugely engaging and have a massive kit bag at their disposal, played well they are very complex and the difference between one which can utlize it’s full kit bag in a dungeon to the one who spams holy light and holy shock is light night and day. I am asked all the time to heal the high keys on my pally as it beats my shammy hands down in 5 man content.

Also have a priest as well 910 and it beats that too.

Most classes that people call bad are just fine but are actually being played wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    The best thing about holy imo is the m+ toolkit. I love reactionary healing and that's what pallies shine at.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanni View Post
    I just think you enjoyed Eternal Flame
    I fucking hated EF. As much as I hated Inquisition back when I played Ret. It was literal cancer to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanni View Post
    I always liked EF just due to the safety of a HoT. What I didn't agree with was the clunky Holypower system, an our at the time mastery. Absorbs was a mistake.
    I know I'm in the minority with hating EF, really. And yes, Holy Power and absorbs (in addition to EF) were a mistake. They went against everything I loved about Holy Paladin healing philosophy - to me, it's meant to be reactive. You see the damage, you heal the damage. Nail, meet Hammer. Absorbs and EF were more preventative, and Holy Power impeded our ability to be reactive. The only preventative ability I've been ok with was Aura Mastery - that was enough for me, and once you knew the fight it was pretty satisfying to see people not dying. Even if it never translated to the meters.

I get why people think Holy Paladins are boring now. There's no "strategy" to them, no long play. There's not much setting up for the damage to come. But fuck that. To me, damage taken is a nail, and I'm the motherfucking hammer.

Also... Holy Paladin in M+. Literally the best thing that has been in the game ever. Goddamn I could run them all day.

Anyone that says pally's are boring are just using deflection to deal with their crying. They have tons of cooldown's, and the level of shenanigans a paladin can employ to keep someone alive is absurd. They're arguably the strongest healing spec in the game right now, but really healing is very balanced. My mythic raid team runs Resto druid, holy pally, holy priest, and resto shaman, and we're all within the same %

They're great.

I dislike the 2H melee thing though. Especially in mythic+ mastery > versatility. Which means going melee and staying close to people.

Deleted
    Hpala is strong both raiding and especially m+. Personally i feel the same for fun factor m+ > raiding

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyflute View Post
    Anyone that says pally's are boring are just using deflection to deal with their crying. They have tons of cooldown's, and the level of shenanigans a paladin can employ to keep someone alive is absurd. They're arguably the strongest healing spec in the game right now, but really healing is very balanced. My mythic raid team runs Resto druid, holy pally, holy priest, and resto shaman, and we're all within the same %
    Being strong and having fun is not always the same.......

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    Being strong and having fun is not always the same.......
    Well, that's true, look at One Punch Man. But if your character is strong, has lots of cooldowns to add complexity to your playstyle, and is coveted by other people so that it's easy to get groups, what is missing in the "fun" equation? I personally main a resto druid, and while it's frustrating sometimes (and some people would argue that it's extremely unfun) to keep up with all the Heal over Time spells, I enjoy that balancing act, because it means that with my focus and awareness, I can heal my ass off. Paladin's are considered a more reactionary heal spec, which many would consider more "fun".

So what's not fun about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellyflute View Post
    Well, that's true, look at One Punch Man. But if your character is strong, has lots of cooldowns to add complexity to your playstyle, and is coveted by other people so that it's easy to get groups, what is missing in the "fun" equation? I personally main a resto druid, and while it's frustrating sometimes (and some people would argue that it's extremely unfun) to keep up with all the Heal over Time spells, I enjoy that balancing act, because it means that with my focus and awareness, I can heal my ass off. Paladin's are considered a more reactionary heal spec, which many would consider more "fun".

So what's not fun about it?
    Your CD's don't really affect how you play, they just make the numbers bigger. There's no change in what you do throughout a fight, either. Low AoE damage? LoD, HS, FoL. High AoE damage? LoD, HS, FoL.
    Sprinkle with Judgement and CS and that's pretty much all you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking, "should I play X" threads aren't permitted. You'll just have to try playing Holy for yourself.

Closing.