Thread: Keening Banshee

Keening Banshee

This is a post to complain about the new minion card, Keening Banshee.

For those who don't know, the banshee is a 5/5 for 4. Good stats, but, "Whenever you play a card, remove the top 3 cards from your deck."
    Now, I personally wouldn't find those stats for that cost worth it if you lost 3 cards once with a battlecry, as a continious effect, it becomes downright detrimental.

I have one idea that could actually make this card interesting: Change it from a neutral minion to a warlock minion, and have the removed cards count as discards. I tested on live, and that is not currently the case.

Anyone have any thoughts, comments? Other ideas to make this card better, or arguments that it is good as is?

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Keening Banshee is supposed to be played in aggro decks and as long as you don't deck yourself, removing X cards is irrelevant.

The cards might not be amazing, but its not terrible either I think. Counting the removed cards as discards would make it way WAY to powerful.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

I assumed this was supposed to be a card that you hand over to your opponent with the new warlock card.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's an aggressive statline so the effect has to be pretty bad. If you're playing an aggro deck your game plan should be to win as fast as possible. If you were to hit fatigue you'd already have lost anyway since your usual low-cost, fast and aggressive cards will be easily outvalued by any opponent in the late game. You can considered the discarded cards to be on the bottom of your deck where you wouldn't have drawn them anyway, and on top of that you get more info on what's still in your deck.

It's a bit like Fel Reaver, but the effect isn't bad since you get to decide how many cards you want to play while the minion is out.

Haven't played Arena in a while but this seems like a decent minion for it; You're unlikely to hit fatigue in arena, mostly based around minion combat, and with a decent curve you'll play maybe 1-2 cards before it gets traded in.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

I've had decent experiences with this card in arena. Getting a 5/5 out on 4 is wonderful. Who cares if you burn 3 cards the next turn. I've burned I think 15 cards one game. People fall into the "I'm going to let that live to screw him." If it's frozen, sure that's screwing me, but it's not like forcing your opponent to suffer a Venture Co Merc while you have a 1/1 taunt on the board or whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korsha View Post
    This is a post to complain about the new minion card, Keening Banshee.

For those who don't know, the banshee is a 5/5 for 4. Good stats, but, "Whenever you play a card, remove the top 3 cards from your deck."
    Now, I personally wouldn't find those stats for that cost worth it if you lost 3 cards once with a battlecry, as a continious effect, it becomes downright detrimental.

I have one idea that could actually make this card interesting: Change it from a neutral minion to a warlock minion, and have the removed cards count as discards. I tested on live, and that is not currently the case.

Anyone have any thoughts, comments? Other ideas to make this card better, or arguments that it is good as is?
    There's a video by Kripp uploaded on YT like 16 hours ago explaining why the card is so good and I agree with him. It's also the fifth best neutral rare on The Lightforge's tier list and you can ask any strong arena player they'll tell you the same thing, banshee is good because you will have tempo most of the time since the other player wouldn't want to remove it because you are milling yourself. It is an excellent arena card because as others have stated you won't go through your entire deck in arena.

Now, constructed wise... I wouldn't touch it with a stick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It is a combo card you want to dispell.
    No, you could get a 7/7 statline for that.

The card is good for arena, and beyond awful somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyriqo View Post
    There's a video by Kripp uploaded on YT like 16 hours ago explaining why the card is so good and I agree with him. It's also the fifth best neutral rare on The Lightforge's tier list and you can ask any strong arena player they'll tell you the same thing, banshee is good because you will have tempo most of the time since the other player wouldn't want to remove it because you are milling yourself. It is an excellent arena card because as others have stated you won't go through your entire deck in arena.

Now, constructed wise... I wouldn't touch it with a stick.
    This. Exactly this times 100.

Not every card is designed to be top tier constructed, some cards are just amazing arena cards or simply niche. Keening banshee falls into the great arena card because as long as you still win despite burning half your deck it was worth it.

Its a good Arena card. Poor mans Fel Reaver(the old 5 mana 8/8 with the same discard effect). In Arena you almost never fatigue so discarded cards are essentially just cards at the bottom of your deck that you don't end up drawing.

The thing about this kind of card is that it incentivises your opponent NOT to clear it. Which is sometimes not that easy and can put them in a bad spot. Typically a minion lasts 1-2 turns, so you might not proc its mill at all. It's stronger than you think, even leaving aside the possibility of silencing it and other combos.

Also... Treachery... :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.