10+ Year Old Account

Angry Pregnant Senegalese women allegedly beaten by two men on Italian bus

https://www.thelocal.it/20170818/pre...on-italian-bus

A woman in her sixth month of pregnancy was attacked and repeatedly abused on a bus in Rimini, according to reports in Italy's largest dailies on Friday.

The woman, who was of West African origin, said she was attacked and racially insulted on a bus in Rimini by two young Italian men.

Several witnesses saw two suspects, one 19-year-old and one 22-year-old, both Italian, push the woman off the bus, reported Repubblica.

Italy's largest daily said police were called to the scene soon after the two men were arrested.

The same report claims the assailants used highly offensive racist language and threatened to "make the woman miscarry". The victim reportedly said she'd been punched and kicked earlier on the bus.

"This is a vicious and cowardly attack that makes me sick as a woman and as a citizen of our city," Rimini's deputy mayor, Gloria Lisi, said in a report of the incident in Il Messaggero.

The same daily identified the victim as a 39-year-old woman of Senegalese origin who has lived in Italy with her family for years.

Lisi added that if racism was confirmed as a motive behind the attack, the city would not hesitate to prosecute as a civil party.

Several media reports allege the men were arrested and charged with aggravated robbery. La Stampa says the victim's phone and handbag were stolen but later recovered near the bus.

The reports say the victim was hospitalized with minor injuries.

A 2016 report by the European Commission on Racism and Integration (ECRI) highlighted the rise in xenophobic incidents in Italy and made several key recommendations.

These included that Italian authorities "reevaluate the mechanisms available to stop the proliferation of racist ideas and reduce the incitement to racial hatred or direct acts of racial hatred."

The ECRI report further suggested that Italy create legislation to tackle racial slander, specifically incitement to racial hatred based on a person's "skin colour, language or nationality," alongside existing legislation that forbids discrimination against race or religion.

Attitudes towards race and ethnic background in Italy are some of the most prejudiced in Europe, according to research.

Italy had the highest per cent of survey respondents admit to having "unfavourable views" about the Roma – 82 per cent in 2016 study of attitudes in 10 EU countries by the Pew Research Centre.

At least 69 per cent of people said they had 'unfavourable views' of Muslims, second only to Hungary out of the ten EU countries polled.

The huge and sudden increase in the number of African, Middle Eastern and Central Asian economic migrants and refugees in Italy in recent years is often cited by commentators as the main reason behind the racial tensions the country is experiencing.
    Utterly despicable actions. Even a pregnant woman isn't exempt from the hate from these people?

Given the rise in these events, it's really time for Italy to start taking more serious action against criminals and create specific legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Given the rise in these events, it's really time for Italy to start taking more serious action against criminals and create specific legislation.
    I'm fairly certain they have laws against this kind of behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Utterly despicable actions. Even a pregnant woman isn't exempt from the hate from these people?

What 'serious action' are you suggesting they take? Are you suggesting that Italy doesn't have laws about assault? Are you suggesting that Italy doesn't have hate crime laws? What exactly are you wanting Italian authorities to do?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Such ugly incidents are stemming from the weakness of the immigration policy. State should preclude the vigilant justice, because people are not limited by any law in their violence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    What 'serious action' are you suggesting they take? Are you suggesting that Italy doesn't have laws about assault? Are you suggesting that Italy doesn't have hate crime laws? What exactly are you wanting Italian authorities to do?
    Before I answer that, have you not seen the numerous high profile news stories about similar incidents in Italy? Such as a soccer teams being mocked for their ethnicity?

Deleted
    Italian MPs literally make monkey noises and throw bananas at the one black mp.

Sheeet the only good World Cup was the one in South Africa, because the Vuvuzelas drowned out the Italian and Spanish fans booing whenever a black guy got the ball.

There is a reason Balotelli is like he is.

This shit is pretty prevalent there. Pretty grim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before I answer that, have you not seen the numerous high profile news stories about similar incidents in Italy? Such as a soccer teams being mocked for their ethnicity?
    Assume I have. Now, answer the questions.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Italian MPs literally make monkey noises and throw bananas at the one black mp.

Sheeet the only good World Cup was the one in South Africa, because the Vuvuzelas drowned out the Italian and Spanish fans booing whenever a black guy got the ball.

There is a reason Balotelli is like he is.

This shit is pretty prevalent there. Pretty grim.
    A flood of migrants and a massive economic recession does tend to stir up the far-right and racism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    A flood of migrants and a massive economic recession does tend to stir up the far-right and racism.
    And before that?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/...htmlstory.html

Europe’s unrelenting migrant crisis is threatening to overwhelm Italy, even as the tide of flimsy boats washing up on Greece’s shores has slowed to a trickle.

More than 85,000 people fleeing poverty and violence have risked the perilous Mediterranean crossing to reach Italy this year, a 20% increase over the same period in 2016, according to figures from the International Organization for Migration. At least 2,150 others have died trying.

The surge has inflamed a long-standing dispute over the way European Union countries share the burden of accommodating refugees and migrants from Africa, the Middle East and beyond.

Italian officials, who have been among the more welcoming in Europe, threatened last week to close their ports to rescue ships operated by humanitarian groups that weren’t flying the Italian flag unless they received more help from other EU members.

On Tuesday, Austrian defense officials said they were prepared to use armored vehicles and troops to prevent migrants from crossing the border from Italy.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, decried the “unfolding tragedy.”

“Italy is playing its part in receiving those rescued and providing asylum to those in need of protection,” he said in a statement Saturday. “But this cannot be an Italian problem alone. It is, first and foremost, a matter of international concern.”

Until last year, many of those trying to reach Europe were Syrians using the shorter route from Turkey to the Greek islands. But the number of arrivals there has plunged since the EU struck a deal with Turkey in March that year to stem the flow. More than 9,200 have made the crossing this year, compared with 158,000 in the first half of 2016.

The rest of the arrivals by sea have been shared between Spain and Cyprus, which as of Monday had received 6,464 and 273, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    And before that?
    Facism, Dictatorship and allegiance to Hitler.

Generally things that put a few social issues into your society.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you really hate immigrants, at least man up and don't attack a pregnant woman.