10+ Year Old Account

Considering some upgrades, got some questions

Hi everyone,
    I’m planning on building a new computer. This computer will be a white build with RGB lighting, and will be used for gaming.
    I play WoW (not at the moment), but also the newest AAA games (FPS, RPG,…).
    I live in Belgium and will be ordering primarily from www.alternate.be and www.azerty.nl.
    Still not sure about which resolution (1080p or 1440p) I’ll be using, but more on that later.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xpxvr7

Planning to order in november:
    CPU: Intel i7 7700k
    Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52
    Mobo: ASRock Z270 Extreme4
    RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3000 CL16
    PSU: Corsair RM750i
    CUSTOM PSU CABLES: CableMod C-Series RMi & RMx Cable Kit (White)
    CASE: NZXT H440 New Edition (White)
    EXTRA FANS: NZXT Aer RGB 120mm x 3
    EXTRA FAN: NZXT Aer RGB 140mm x 1
    FAN CONTROLLER: NZXT Grid+ V2 Digital Fan Controller
    LED CONTROLLER: NZXT HUE+ (White)
    WINDOWS: Windows 10 Home OEM Key (Kinguin)

Still have my wireless network card, SSD and HDD’s from my last build.
    As for a GPU, for now, I’ll be using my previous card (GTX 970 SC) until I order my new GPU.

Will probably order this around december-january:
    GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G
    (Or Asus GTX 1070 DUAL O8G)

Will order around january-february:
    MONITOR: ?

Is there anything wrong with this build (apart from your love/hate of a white build with RGB lighting)?
    By this I mean: does everything fit the case, does my mobo have all required connections, does my PSU have all required connections?
    Will I be able to separately control my case fans with the Grid Fan Controller?

About how long will I be able to run games at high/ultra settings on either 1080p or 1440p until I need to upgrade GPU?
    - Do I get a ‘weaker’ GPU now (like Asus GTX 1070 DUAL O8G) and save money for future upgrade?
    - Or do I just get the GTX 1080Ti OC Gaming 11G anyway (about a 250-300 euro price difference here).

Will 16GB RAM still be enough in a few years (for gaming)?

About the monitor: I now have a BenQ - XL2411Z 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz TN Monitor with 1ms response time for gaming (+an old 21” 60Hertz TN for browsing). I would like to get something bigger, in the 27-32inch range. I play FPS games but not on a competitive level, so not sure that I’m benefitting enough from the fast monitor.

- Do I get a 60Hz or 144Hz monitor. TN or IPS, or …? What are your experiences?
    - Let’s say I go for a 60Hz IPC monitor, will the difference with my 144Hz suddenly be unbearable?
    - What if I pick a 1440p monitor but in the future, I play on it in 1080p to get higher settings, will it look blurry?

Thanks in advance, you wonderful bunch of people have helped me a lot with my first build a few years ago.
    I'll be upgrading this post as questions get answered.
    Last edited by Palaplu; 2017-09-15 at 11:47 AM.
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

10+ Year Old Account
    bump (please don't ban me if this is against the rules) I changed a bunch of stuff
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

Since you're buying in november, i5-8600K/i7-8700K and Z370 will be out. Even 8600K should be overall better (and cheaper) than 7700K in both single and multithreaded.
    The Kraken X52 rather poor value for money. Are you getting it cause it's RGB?

Generally you don't need a new key, if it's a digital license you can update it for the new motherboard with your microsoft account in windows w/o much trouble.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-09-14 at 10:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Since you're buying in november, i5-8600K/i7-8700K and Z370 will be out. Even 8600K should be overall better (and cheaper) than 7700K in both single and multithreaded.
    The Kraken X52 rather poor value for money. Are you getting it cause it's RGB?

Generally you don't need a new key, if it's a digital license you can update it for the new motherboard with your microsoft account in windows w/o much trouble.
    Thank you for replying

Will it be cheaper even to buy an i5-8600k AND a Z370 mobo (with more or less the same features as the one I've selected now)?

I was planning on getting the Kraken x52 because it looks awesome and I can sync it with my fans/leds.
    It's expensive indeed, but is it a bad cooler?

Thanks, I've been getting some mixed answers for the Windows question.
    The Windows I have now was a Windows 7 OEM key that I upgraded through the updating program for Windows 10.

8600K+Z370 should be cheaper than 7700K+Z270, some leaks place 8600K at 273 euros and 8700K at 389 euros.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ardware-change

This says you can link your windows version to a microsoft account for easy re-activation in case of hardware changes (typically motherboard replacement).

But in the case of OEM versions:

If you upgraded from an OEM Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 license, these are licenses that come preinstalled on a new computer from a manufacturer, and then your Windows 10 license maintains the OEM rights – cannot be transferred.
    Q:The version of windows is OEM. but now, on the activation menu in settings, it states that it's activated with digital license, linked to my Microsoft account. Does this mean I would be able to upgrade motherboard without having to purchase another copy of windows? Being able to activate it again as it states it's a digital license?

A:It is still an OEM license and changing the motherboard will still invalidate it. What Digital Licensing does is simplify reactivation after a fresh install on the same hardware configuration.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-09-14 at 10:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    8600K+Z370 should be cheaper than 7700K+Z270, some leaks place 8600K at 273 euros and 8700K at 389 euros.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ardware-change

This says you can link your windows version to a microsoft account for easy re-activation in case of hardware changes (typically motherboard replacement).

But in the case of OEM versions:

Thanks.

I'll keep an eye out for news on the i5 8600k and Z370.

Oh bummer, guess I'll have to get a new Windows key then.
    Last edited by Palaplu; 2017-09-15 at 07:09 AM.