Thread: Mt. Rushmore

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Confederate generals weren't traitors. Hell if they left their state while being generals they'd be traitors and deserters. Lee didn't even believe in slavery at that point, but still fought for the south because he was obligated to do so. The only people to blame are the massive plantation owners and the government of the south.
    They would be traitors and deserters..... To the south.

The fact their southern pride was worth more than defection is a crime by itself. Justifying their actions because of their beliefs is pretty interesting, when those actions put to death more Americans than any other war in the history of our country over the continued subjugation of human beings.

If they had any pride, they would never had stood for the south when their government went to war with the north.

- - - Updated - - -

The Washington and Jefferson parts are both 100% accurate and have been covered by MULTIPLE news sites. You've been having blinders on or are just trying to derail if you're claiming you need a source.
    Dude I even go as far as browsing 4chan for news and this is the first I'm hearing it. I'm gonna have to second the request for a source.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    Dude I even go as far as browsing 4chan for news and this is the first I'm hearing it. I'm gonna have to second the request for a source.

Here is a CNN correspondent calling for Washington and Jefferson statues to be taken down. 6:15 time code.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destroying historical monuments because they are from a time where things were different is foolish. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Hope someone with some skill comes around and fixes/replaces all the statues that were damaged. And if people still want to throw their hissy fit tantrums, put the statues in a museum somewhere. Problem solved for everyone.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    They would be traitors and deserters..... To the south.

The fact their southern pride was worth more than defection is a crime by itself. Justifying their actions because of their beliefs is pretty interesting, when those actions put to death more Americans than any other war in the history of our country over the continued subjugation of human beings.

If they had any pride, they would never had stood for the south when their government went to war with the north.

- - - Updated - - -

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/08/1...-cnn-says-take inb4 "oh fox news" but the clip is from what was aired on CNN. That's just one instance. There's also been a pastor and several others.

On the topic of the generals, the war was very close for a good while. You do realize that Grant would have stood a better chance(hell he might have been a Senator or something) if the South won than any general who defected. They would have been hung from treason while the Union generals would have been essentially given a slap on the wrist. It has nothing to do with "pride" and just stop with that bullshit. Should we be shitting on all of the current US generals for everything that has been done in terms of the orders they were given? Nope. If it's a lawful order you follow it(illegal things aren't lawful orders).

10+ Year Old Account
    Confederate generals weren't traitors.
    ...Let's see they took up arms against the United States and aided a hostile enemy power.

That's literally the definition of "traitor"

Hell if they left their state while being generals they'd be traitors and deserters.
    ...to their states, which themselves were traitors to the union.

That's like saying that German officials that betrayed orders and aided jews in escaping were "in the wrong"

Lee didn't even believe in slavery at that point, but still fought for the south because he was obligated to do so. The only people to blame are the massive plantation owners and the government of the south.
    ...Whom he contentiously betrayed the United States to defend.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    ...Let's see they took up arms against the United States and aided a hostile enemy power.

That's literally the definition of "traitor"

...to their states, which themselves were traitors to the union.

That's like saying that German officials that betrayed orders and aided jews in escaping were "in the wrong"

...Whom he contentiously betrayed the United States to defend.
    they weren't traitors, they chose to secede, due to differences. calling them traitors, you might as well call all of the USA traitors because we were a British colony.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Destroying historical monuments because they are from a time where things were different is foolish. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Hope someone with some skill comes around and fixes/replaces all the statues that were damaged. And if people still want to throw their hissy fit tantrums, put the statues in a museum somewhere. Problem solved for everyone.
    We have books, I doubt we'll forget.

Also, confederates fought to secede and thus destroy the UNITED states. Hell, statues of Hitler in Germany would make more sense. At least he was trying to build UP his country (so to speak).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    they weren't traitors, they chose to secede, due to differences. calling them traitors, you might as well call all of the USA traitors because we were a British colony.
    The colonies were traitors to the British.

But they won.

The south didn't.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Yeah they were traitors it's well known and accepted the difference is they won.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they could chisel Teddy Roosevelt into somebody more deserving, he is so out of place next to the other three.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Umm, yes and yes. To the British, we were traitors. Kinda why we had a war over leaving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    This makes me furious.
    If anyone in these pictures can be identified, they should be reported to the police immediately.

Double points if someone name/shames their ass on social media. They'd do the same to any conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    /snip

Here is a CNN correspondent calling for Washington and Jefferson statues to be taken down. 6:15 time code.
    These fuckwits can't grasp the simple concept that things were different in those times... even though I ain't American, I find this act of spitting on the founding fathers nothing short of disgusting.

And I love how these women talk as though they could relate to the slavery of their ancestors...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/...ate-monuments/

At the center of the “Unite the Right” rally that turned deadly in Charlottesville last weekend was a protest of the city’s plan to remove a statue of Robert E. Lee. White supremacists, neo-Nazis and others have made monuments to the Confederate commanding general a flashpoint — at times marching to keep them standing.

But Lee himself never wanted such monuments built.

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”
    “As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated,” Lee wrote of an 1866 proposal, “my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; [and] of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    This makes me furious.
    Well shit I was kind of indifferent to all this but now I am pleased then.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post

Except they weren't built during the time they represent. The vast majority of them were built during the height of the Jim Crow Laws era in the South. If anything they were in fact built to re-write history in the South. To slowly change the facts about the Civil War that the South fought for honor and pride and not for Slavery which it in fact mainly was over. The Confederacy said as much in their Declaration of Secession. They were built to change history and also as symbols of White Supremacy over African-Americans and other non whites. So you can cry all you want how people calling for the statues to be removed from public owned land and how we are changing history because those statues were built to change history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Causes there's no need to. It doesn't represent racism.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously. Why the hell is all this coming out now? I'm sick of people screaming racism at everything. Just stfu already and learn what it actually means.
    People are butthurt about statues and flags representing the confederacy, a group expressly founded for the preservation of slavery and discrimination, being removed from public lands and put in museums, and are trying to create false equivalencies between the statues of generals and flags of the confederacy, which, again, was founded and fought to preserve slavery, to that of various founding fathers of the United States, who happened to own slaves.

They don't grasp that the confederate statues and flags represent the ideals of the confederacy, which stood for slavery above all else, while the statues of the founding fathers represent the ideals of the United States as a whole, which has since decried slavery.

If that sounds like a difference so stupidly obvious that one would have to be completely dense to miss it, remember that these people are members of the party that styles itself the Party of Lincoln but are championing the confederacy. The group that Lincoln warred against and whose sympathizers worked together to murder him.

It's safe to say that historical context doesn't occur to these people.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I honestly just need to get the hell outta the U.S. I'm so sick of feeling like I should feel guilty for being white. I'm sick of hearing about slavery and racism in the states. I'm sick of people blaming the past for their current problems. And I'm sick of people wanting handouts for something that didn't happen to them.

Ugh, only 6 more years... then we can leave.
    I honestly can't tell if you're being serious or not.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Should be shot trying, leave history alone ffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Maybe they could chisel Teddy Roosevelt into somebody more deserving, he is so out of place next to the other three.
    What exactly is your beef with Teddy?