Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

I'm happy that skill-based FPS are coming back.

Hello champions, good to see you. First of all, I don't want to sound like "i'm old school, you freaking newborn plebs that like playing cod" in this topic. But I'm happy that "skill" in FPS is slowly coming back.

In the last decade or so, we've been bombarded with slow cover-based, health regen First Person Shooters. They're designed this way mainly because of the console market, and that's fine. The big problem is: Almost 100% of the FPS market followed this kind of game design, and we've lost a bit of the old school madness that was the fps market in the 90's: Quake, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, etc.

But we're slowly getting back to the past, and I'm super happy with that. Titanfall 2, Doom 2016, Lawbreakers and the recent Quake Champions are some examples of skill based FPS that are coming back, full force. Bunny hopping, strafe/rocket/circle jumping, and super speed are present in almost all of these games - and that is great. The FPS market got stale since 2010, and these mechanics are a breath of fresh air into one of the best genres for action-based gaming.

Also, with the recent Doom 2016, we've got a bit of old-school madness in the weapons and enemy types as well. Wolfenstein: The New Order was great, but didn't offer that many options in bad guys to fight. Doom 2016, on the other hand, has a lot of variety in its enemies, and they're all a joy to fight. This is great because, again, in the past 10 years, aside from boss fights, the FPS genre was all about shooting generic grunts with generic weapons in generic scenary.

I'm just happy with that. If you're a more casual gamer, you can always play games like Overwatch and Team Fortress 2 that have less focus on killing each other, and are more "objective based". If you like to play cover based shooters, you can always count on the ever present Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. But if you want more action and skill in your FPS, that niche from the FPS pie is slowly coming back. And I'll hug it with open arms!

CS:GO was here the whole time and extremely popular both as a game people play and as esport.

Also people like playing certain shooters like BF because they are more realistic when it comes to combat, I know reviving people isn't realistic. Rocket jumping, or shooting from AK-47 or a sniper rifle mid jump is not realistic at all. Also a lot of those games don't have bullet drop or bullet travel time and just use hit-scan. One could argue that being able to hit people while accounting for bullet drop and travel time takes a lot of skill too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherblood View Post
    CS:GO was here the whole time and extremely popular both as a game people play and as esport.
    As much as I like to play CS:GO, and while I agree that it requires a lot of skill to play, I still don't understand how that game works. Sometimes, you shoot someone in the leg and it hits the head, and sometimes you shoot and shoot and shoot and you miss every single shot, even if you fire in short bursts, like it's recommended in every single weapon guide on youtube. It requires skill, I can't deny that, but it's not fun to play in my opinion.

Also people like playing certain shooters like BF because they are more realistic when it comes to combat, I know reviving people isn't realistic. Rocket jumping, or shooting from AK-47 or a sniper rifle mid jump is not realistic at all. Also a lot of those games don't have bullet drop or bullet travel time and just use hit-scan. One could argue that being able to hit people while accounting for bullet drop and travel time takes a lot of skill too.
    Some weapons in Doom 2016 and Quake Champions use hitscan, but they're really weak if compared to the mighty Rocket Launcher, and the player speed in both games is super uber fast, making weapons that use hitscan even weaker. This is where skill is required in these kinds of games, and while I agree that bullet drop and travel time require skills in games like Battlefield (using snipers), the same could be said if you analyse the trajectory of a rocket in Quake.
    Last edited by Lotus Victoria; 2017-08-25 at 09:09 PM.

In a lot of ways CS go is absolute dog shit compared to source.

I'm all for competitive skill shooters but if I can physically see a bullet shot from my 45 rebound off someone's head there's no excuse for them taking arm damage and not dying.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Hello champions, good to see you. First of all, I don't want to sound like "i'm old school, you freaking newborn plebs that like playing cod" in this topic. But if you want more action and skill in your FPS, that niche from the FPS pie is slowly coming back. And I'll hug it with open arms!
    Yeah but that's exactly how you look.
    What part of any shooter doesn't require skill? This kind of elitist garbage is insulting and amusing at the same time. If they're so easy you'd have no trouble dominating them but I'm gonna take a guess that you aren't and that you blame the games for not being "skillbased" rather than blaming yourself not being able to fit into that playstyle.

All games require skill to excel through, so stop being so damned elitist about it. You even call Battlefield and CoD coverbased which just screams ignorance to me, as if you don't use LoS and cover, wether it's running around a corner or makin sure you have positional advantage, in every single FPS out there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Yeah but that's exactly how you look.
    What part of any shooter doesn't require skill? This kind of elitist garbage is insulting and amusing at the same time. If they're so easy you'd have no trouble dominating them but I'm gonna take a guess that you aren't and that you blame the games for not being "skillbased" rather than blaming yourself not being able to fit into that playstyle.

All games require skill to excel through, so stop being so damned elitist about it. You even call Battlefield and CoD coverbased which just screams ignorance to me, as if you don't use LoS and cover, wether it's running around a corner or makin sure you have positional advantage, in every single FPS out there.
    You really fail to catch my point if that is your opinion, and I'll respect that. But I can't agree with your first statement. I love playing Overwatch, Paladins, Call of Duty and Battlefield as much as the next guy, and I'm a decent player in each one of them. But a lot of those games have mechanics that don't require as much training to master as games like Quake, or Unreal.

I agree that all games require skill to excel, and that's why we have E-Sports nowadays. But I stick with my opinion that some FPS require a lot more skill and concentration than others.
    Last edited by Lotus Victoria; 2017-08-25 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doom was great. Shame about the rest though.

- - - Updated - - -

I still play good ole

wolfenstein 3d

10+ Year Old Account
    I know its not gonna happen, but I would like a console version of quake champions.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I know its not gonna happen, but I would like a console version of quake champions.
    You cant play that with controller, unless you want to play as a wheelchair bound ten-thumbed cripple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    CoD and Battlefield are the best FPS ever made. You can't argue with this I'm afraid
    epic trole xd

You say it's making a return while acknowledging that CSGO has been here all along. What?

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    epic trole xd

You say it's making a return while acknowledging that CSGO has been here all along. What?
    It's somewhat true though. People might hate on CoD specifically but you can't say it's not a solid game and that it's not one of the best.
    It's been relevant for so long for a reason. Sure, the last ones have gone too futuristic but they are finally back on track now with WW2, so I still think these games will be relevant for a long time.

And Battlefield is amazing too.

But "best fps ever made" is entirely opinion based. Some will say Half Life, some will say CoD4, I say Star Wars Battlefront 2 because it's one of the best fps games I've ever played and they had a fuckton of content in that game compared to games that launch in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    What lol? I didn't say anything about counter strike

also I'm not trolling
    The second part was for the OP, I didn't put that much effort into replying to a troll post.

I have the fondest memories of skill-based FPS games with huge skill ceilings. Stuff like Quake, Unreal Tournament, Quakeworld, Team Fortress Classic, etc.

Then stuff like CoD, Gears of War, Battlefield and Battlefront got popular, and those just seem way too bland for me.

I'd be happy to see a resurgence of the faster paced FPS games to be honest, even if i no longer have the reflexes and aptitude to excel in then like when i was 18'ish.

As much as I like to play CS:GO, and while I agree that it requires a lot of skill to play, I still don't understand how that game works. Sometimes, you shoot someone in the leg and it hits the head, and sometimes you shoot and shoot and shoot and you miss every single shot, even if you fire in short bursts, like it's recommended in every single weapon guide on youtube. It requires skill, I can't deny that, but it's not fun to play in my opinion.
    In CSGO there are bullet spread patterns that are not random but communicated extremely poorly by the ui, that's also why i don't play it - awkward gunplay.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The connection between my brain and hand makes me really bad at any kind of FPS so I'm pretty much impartial to the genre regardless of how casual or hardcore it is. Like, instead of moving my whole hand with the mouse I'll pivot off the wrist and use it as a limited swivel and hope that it's enough to catch someone in the cross hairs. Instead of adjusting my mouse hand sometimes I'll even compensate by moving left or right on the WASD. It's fucking dumb and I'm ashamed of myself for being this dumb at shooters.

If you so much as strafe at a brisk pace I'm pretty much a free kill.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-08-28 at 03:24 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    The second part was for the OP, I didn't put that much effort into replying to a troll post.
    I understand that CS:GO exists. CS:GO is old school, but it's not as fast paced as the games that I've stated in t his post. And the skill required to play CS:GO is, as @Svisalith said, awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneth
    CoD and Battlefield are the best FPS ever made. You can't argue with this I'm afraid
    As much as I love CoD4, I can't agree with this one. It is all about preferences though, so if you're a fan of these kinds of games, keep up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Bunny hopping, strafe/rocket/circle jumping, and super speed are present in almost all of these games - and that is great.
    This said it all for me.

The word "skill" is used very loosely in this very bias opinion blog.