Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I quit WoW just to play FFXIV, let that sink in for just a moment. Why quit one of the greatest mmorpgs in the world? Well the real reason for me was because I just don't care for WoW anymore. I met lots of people throughout WoW over the years, and they all moved on. Maybe they'll come back but I doubt it, eventually a friend got me into ffxiv some years back and I been juggling between the two for a while now till I finally settled on xiv full time for my main mmo. I made new friends that still play to this day, I always have something to look forward to, the story stays consistent throughout the entire leveling experience. But most importantly, I find the game fun overall. There wasn't a time I logged into WoW looking forward to do anything without feeling it to be like a chore, like I owe something just for resubbing month after month when in the end it doesn't even matter. Not sure what your stance is on WoW currently, but thats just my two cents. Stick with ffxiv and don't look back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I hit 30, did the laughably short and kinda pathetic quests to become a dragoon. blazed on to the free trial cap of 35. Welllll shit, now what? So Sunday I decided fuck it, I'll buy the full game. Do the purchase, it comes out of my account, but I never get an email with the code. Finally manage to find out how to contact support and get a response of "check your spam folders" to which is a no shit Sherlock response from me.

Next they want me to go to this link and check my account. Okay, so I got to the link use my log in creds and get a message "your creds are right, but you need to resolve something on this other site"...Really???? Okay, so I go to that link which looks nearly identical to the one I just came from, enter my creds and NOPE those creds are wrong...OKAY! So I do a password recovery, because who the fuck knows! "You'll receive and email shortly." You guessed it, no fucking email. So I thought well maybe I never registered on that specific page, so I click join, fill out my info, click submit and it tells me the email address is already in use...WHAT???

So I'm pretty much fucking stuck at this point, and I'm at the point where I'm fucking done with this convoluted nightmare of various websites and accounts to play a damn game that I'm really not sure I want to play long term. I replied to the support email explaining my issue, but who the fuck knows if that'll do any sort of good. Honestly, this is probably gonna end with me requesting a damn refund.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    I downloaded and started playing last weekend. Haven't put too many hours in, I think my lancer is 24 now and I've done the airship quest as a part of the the MS. Here's my question, does the combat ever get no as clunky and slow? I can tough out the very repetitive questing style. But the clunkiness of the combat system and then mountain of side quests which I'm not sure are even worth doing; are starting to make me not really care much for the game.
    You learn more abilities that are off the GCD as you level and get your Job. The side quests aren't as important as the main story quests and doing your hunting logs; once you unlock it Palace of the Dead (a 4-player, procedurally-generated dungeon with no role requirements that you play in bursts of ten floors per run) becomes one of the more efficient ways to level up. In Heavensward and Stormblood content, the only sidequests you have to do are the ones with a + on the quest bubble as they typically have important rewards like an Aether node to work toward unlocking flight in that zone. From level 61 onward, once you unlock Heaven on High, that will likely be your 61+ go-to for leveling alt classes.

Combat in FFXIV is more about dodging enemy telegraphs, which is a big reason why they have the GCD set at 1.5s, so your focus is on moving out of harmful effects. Even endgame dungeons and baseline raids are more focused on making sure the group is executing mechanics; you'll have maybe 1 or 2 DPS checks per raid like Construct 8 and The Thunder God in the Ivalice raids.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I have played in Azeroth since Warcraft III. I love the lore and have years dedicated to WoW. However, the BfA story is not doing it for me. There are a few solid quest but the major plot points are meh to me. Drustvar was the highlight of leveling this past expansion.

I had heard a few rumblings about FFXIV and Twitch Prime has/had an offer for 30 days free... so I figured I'd give it a shot. Account creation is straight out of the 90's. But once everything was loaded up I set off. First thing I noticed was a much more robust character creation system. I also really like how the races all work together... only divided by national allegiance which is minor at most. No more insane race war. I made a nerdy elf and began to make my way into the greater world.

HOLY SHIT!!! I was not prepared. The music... O.M.G... I was 10 years old again playing Final Fantasy! The story was good but more importantly it felt very Final Fantasy. My Summoner hit 50 yesterday... a little over 2 days played. Then I unlocked my very favorite thing in the Final Fantasy universe... the Blue Mage. I have already hit level 18 and I'm loving it.

There are a few things that I feel FFXIV does much better than WoW:
    1) Transportation... being able to instantly port to anywhere I've been before is amazing. Granted in WoW I love flying but in FF I feel I can get where I'm going and start doing it immediately.
    2) Mount and run through enemies. WoW's daze and dismount mechanic feels so outdated by comparison.
    3) Fully assembled enemies. If I need three spines of a local wild boars... I'm done after killing three boars. I know what a novel concept.
    4) Non-grindy quest. So far the most I've been asked to kill something is eight times (which filled the requirements for two different quest). In WoW it's slay 15-30 in any given quest.
    5) Change classes on the fly. The ability to experience everything with one character is very appealing. For WoW this would be similar to making professions, reputations, and most other unlocks account-wide.

TL;DR ~ WoW has always been a better iterator than innovator. I feel they need to take a few of these ideas and make WoW better. For the time being I'm enjoying everything Final Fantasy XIV has to offer.
    Last edited by Lodreh; 2019-05-07 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

@Kalium

Aye buddy. It's just a complete world changer isn't it?

Anyway glad you are having fun and welcome to Eorzea <3. If you are EU on Light and need any help just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    @Kalium

Aye buddy. It's just a complete world changer isn't it?

Anyway glad you are having fun and welcome to Eorzea <3. If you are EU on Light and need any help just let me know.
    It is definitely much better than thought it would be... though I shouldn't be surprised. Thanks for the warm welcome . I'm in NA on Excalibur... I'm not sure how World Visit works but maybe I'll see you around next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    It is definitely much better than thought it would be... though I shouldn't be surprised. Thanks for the warm welcome . I'm in NA on Excalibur... I'm not sure how World Visit works but maybe I'll see you around next expansion.
    I'm on Excalibur, character name Katchi Soilsiu, give me a shout and I'd be happy to help you out. Progressing through some of the story quest required trials or dungeons can be a long wait sometimes. I'd be happy to jump on one of my 70s and help you through those.

2) Mount and run through enemies. WoW's daze and dismount mechanic feels so outdated by comparison.
    They actually used to slow you, but I think they removed that with stormblood iirc?

Then I unlocked my very favorite thing in the Final Fantasy universe... the Blue Mage.
    In case you don't know, you can't level it higher than 50, so if you want to progress MSQ, it's absolutely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    In case you don't know, you can't level it higher than 50, so if you want to progress MSQ, it's absolutely useless.
    I know... I had to finish the ARR MSQ to unlock it... but thanks for the lookout

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm on Excalibur, character name Katchi Soilsiu, give me a shout and I'd be happy to help you out. Progressing through some of the story quest required trials or dungeons can be a long wait sometimes. I'd be happy to jump on one of my 70s and help you through those.
    Shiny, I'll look for you in game

10+ Year Old Account
    I have played in Azeroth since Warcraft III. I love the lore and have years dedicated to WoW. However, the BfA story is not doing it for me. There are a few solid quest but the major plot points are meh to me. Drustvar was the highlight of leveling this past expansion.

I had heard a few rumblings about FFXIV and Twitch Prime has/had an offer for 30 days free... so I figured I'd give it a shot. Account creation is straight out of the 90's. But once everything was loaded up I set off. First thing I noticed was a much more robust character creation system. I also really like how the races all work together... only divided by national allegiance which is minor at most. No more insane race war. I made a nerdy elf and began to make my way into the greater world.

HOLY SHIT!!! I was not prepared. The music... O.M.G... I was 10 years old again playing Final Fantasy! The story was good but more importantly it felt very Final Fantasy. My Summoner hit 50 yesterday... a little over 2 days played. Then I unlocked my very favorite thing in the Final Fantasy universe... the Blue Mage. I have already hit level 18 and I'm loving it.

1) Transportation... being able to instantly port to anywhere I've been before is amazing. Granted in WoW I love flying but in FF I feel I can get where I'm going and start doing it immediately.
    3) Fully assembled enemies. If I need three spines of a local wild boars... I'm done after killing three boars. I know what a novel concept.
    4) Non-grindy quest. So far the most I've been asked to kill something is eight times (which filled the requirements for two different quest). In WoW it's slay 15-30 in any given quest.
    5) Change classes on the fly. The ability to experience everything with one character is very appealing. For WoW this would be similar to making professions, reputations, and most other unlocks account-wide.

TL;DR ~ WoW has always been a better iterator than innovator. I feel they need to take a few of these ideas and make WoW better. For the time being I'm enjoying everything Final Fantasy XIV has to offer.
    Heads up btw the first exoansion heavensward is actually free right now if i recall right(though may have ended today if so apologies) but yeah check that out i say will give you ALOT more to do

1) On the other hand I actually don't care for teleporting. I find WoW's world design to be much better as a result. To be fair though, I also never cared for flying as it was implemented. I would have preferred a more limited flying that made using it a clever way to navigate the maps. (This applies to WoW too).

2) Do you still get dazed in either game? I know FF14 used to give you Heavy status that lasts 30s and you had to dismount to even hope of dealing with it. I don't know if it still does since the world design doesn't matter and I never need to go out there. I do know that not being able to auto dismount when using an ability is a pain point for me. I can't remember the last time I got dismounted or even dazed in WoW tbh.

3) Agreed wholeheartedly. Although I do remember a select few quests where this wasn't true. I can't remember which ones, but they stood out because they weren't like the rest of the game.

4) I don't remember many quests except like Nesingwary's ever requiring kill counts that high, or at least didn't feel that bad, but then again I like combat content so maybe I just didn't notice?

5) Agreed wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Combat in FFXIV is more about dodging enemy telegraphs, which is a big reason why they have the GCD set at 1.5s, so your focus is on moving out of harmful effects. Even endgame dungeons and baseline raids are more focused on making sure the group is executing mechanics; you'll have maybe 1 or 2 DPS checks per raid like Construct 8 and The Thunder God in the Ivalice raids.
    IMO FF14 overuses telegraphs. WoW also uses telegraphs a ton and has for a long time. Also, those aren't DPS checks in 24 mans. They're idiot checks lol. You can have 8 players just mash a single button at min ilvl and clear those checks (orbs, sand tower, etc.) therefore no real DPS requirements, just a people being in right spot requirement. I haven't played since the second savage tier, so I don't know how much tougher the third 24 man was from a DPS standpoint though so this could have changed.

Has SE/Yoshi ever explicitly stated that the reason for the 2.5s GCD is to move out of harmful effects? I'd be curious honestly.

Semi off/on-topic question:

Whats the actual best way to gear up in this game (say, from lvl30-35 on up....). When i was playing the trial I really did enjoy it, but I was totally lost when it comes to gearing.

Are there currencies? I think I was given some feather things when I started, but no idea what to do with them...
    Does stuff drop?
    What about professions?
    The only gear I ever managed to get was from quests.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post

Whats the actual best way to gear up in this game (say, from lvl30-35 on up....). When i was playing the trial I really did enjoy it, but I was totally lost when it comes to gearing.

Are there currencies? I think I was given some feather things when I started, but no idea what to do with them...
    Does stuff drop?
    What about professions?
    There are NPC merchants that sell gear in all the major cities, can also get it from the market board. Gear doesn't "drop" from monsters, you only get it from quests, in chests as rewards for clearing a boss in dungeons, or buying it.

Crafting is another way to do it, but that can take a LONG time and a lot more money than the alternatives since now you need to level and gear the crafters you use and buy the materials. Crafting for the sake of gearing yourself isn't worth it. Crafting is used to make money mostly, or for enjoyment, but the amount of time involved to level and gear a crafter is substantial, so I don't recommend it as a method for gearing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post

Does stuff drop?
    What about professions?
    As you are leveling, your best bet is to just keep up with the vendor gear. Often you can find this gear cheaper on the market board as well. The first time leveling you will feel kind of weak not having high quality gear but it isn't worth the gil. There is a vendor at just about every teleport/quest hub with around 5-10 levels worth of gear. 30-35 should have some decent stuff in costa del sol I believe. I can understand how vendor gear would be overlooked because of how wow did things, but in ff it is actually useful and your go to option.

Currencies for gear come into play at the various level caps. 50-60-70. These tomes can be used to flesh out some pieces but for leveling has been made mostly pointless. Once you hit 50 and can go to the next expansions content, there is a vendor that sells gear to get you up to par.

Professions are good for gearing alts, but not really worth the time for your first class going up. Leveling professions is super easy with leves but require an initial gil investment so better saved till later.

Doesn't the MSQ give you enough gear to keep up? This will only be for your initial job you level of course, but I don't recall ever needing to look for other gear sources. Then again it's been a long time since I leveled through ARR...

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    Doesn't the MSQ give you enough gear to keep up? This will only be for your initial job you level of course, but I don't recall ever needing to look for other gear sources. Then again it's been a long time since I leveled through ARR...
    It gives some normal quality, but still helps to flesh it out with a vendor. And it really helps to get vendor 115s as soon as you hit 50.

From lvl 50 you can start buying gear for tomes, the sets are strong and doing the daily roulettes will easily get you capped on the currency in a couple of days. Also dont forget to farm MGP so you can buy the car once you reach lvl 50

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    It gives some normal quality, but still helps to flesh it out with a vendor. And it really helps to get vendor 115s as soon as you hit 50.
    True.

Has anyone warned them about the 2.X patch slog yet? It's a pain, but IMO worth going through on at least one character because things do pick up toward the end of it leading into HW.

So what about those feather things they gave me when I signed up for the Trial? I can't remember what they were called, been a couple months since I logged in....