Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    So what about those feather things they gave me when I signed up for the Trial? I can't remember what they were called, been a couple months since I logged in....
    Hmm silver chocobo feathers? They get you what qad once engame gear at 50/60 and likely 70 cone shadowbringers save it for now

Picked it up recently, due to the Twitch Prime starter edition offer.

While it certainly took some time to get used to if you played WoW for a long time (I'm still playing WoW), I can say it does definitely have a certain charm. I'm leveling a Ninja right now (lvl 43) with the intention to switch to Samurai at 50. The combat in the lower levels seems really slow (my rotation for many levels as a rogue was basically 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2.... with the odd Assassinate inbetween) but I'm getting more and more skills to use inbetween those GCDs.

The leveling, while the overall story is decent, feels like a slog atm, but I heard that it's getting better once you reach Heavensward. DUngeons give a shitton of EXP though. Once I'm 70 I will level a White Mage as an alt class, and since you more or less get insta queues as a healer most of the time, I will level that Job mostly in dungeons (since I won't have to do the MSQ again).

Can't say anything about the endgame yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also enjoying a lot of the music (I'm actually listening to the Ninja Dockhouse music this very moment).
    Last edited by Sangris; 2019-05-08 at 04:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Picked it up recently, due to the Twitch Prime starter edition offer.

While it certainly took some time to get used to if you played WoW for a long time (I'm still playing WoW), I can say it does definitely have a certain charm. I'm leveling a Ninja right now (lvl 43) with the intention to switch to Samurai at 50. The combat in the lower levels seems really slow (my rotation for many levels as a rogue was basically 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2.... with the odd Assassinate inbetween) but I'm getting more and more skills to use inbetween those GCDs.

The leveling, while the overall story is decent, feels like a slog atm, but I heard that it's getting better once you reach Heavensward. DUngeons give a shitton of EXP though. Once I'm 70 I will level a White Mage as an alt class, and since you more or less get insta queues as a healer most of the time, I will level that Job mostly in dungeons (since I won't have to do the MSQ again).

Can't say anything about the endgame yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it.
    Don't forget to unlock and do the challenge log and hunt hunt logs early on both guve crazy xp

Also guildheists do give an xp bonus the first time PER class

And the tutorial thing before dungeons gives you a full level 15 gearset and a ring with an xp bonus till 31

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Don't forget to unlock and do the challenge log and hunt hunt logs early on both guve crazy xp

Also guildheists do give an xp bonus the first time PER class

And the tutorial thing before dungeons gives you a full level 15 gearset and a ring with an xp bonus till 31
    O yeah I finished the Hunting Logs up to my level.

Didn't know about the guildheists, will have to check those out, thanks.

While I didn't get the ring, I do have the earring from the Shadowbringer preorder that helps me for now. I'll fetch the ring once I'll go level the healer. Thanks for that tip aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

As an outside source, I haven’t seen anything posted about Final Fantasy that would ever really make me play it. The most I take away from forums is the story is amazing. Other than that, it seems like it has no real endgame other than dungeons/raid style systems, something I already have with WoW that also seems to be designed as a better challenge.
    Sure, I kind of like the appeal of having every class available to one character, but in the end it’s no different than having alts in WoW. It even takes time to level them, so it’s not like accessing a fully fleshed out leveled class is any faster in Final Fantasy vs WoW.
    The profession system seems neat, but again, FF would have to give you access to everything as it would be too much to have that many characters for every profession. That said, I’ve never seen anything explained about the profession system that makes it above WoWs other than faster to collect materials.
    Also, as someone who has watched FF forums out of curiosity, I have never once gotten the impression that people quit WoW and went to FF because it was better, but rather they quit WoW for a reason and went to FF because it was the better of what was left.
    That said, I would never say don’t try it. I’m sure even I would enjoy it if I played it. After all, I enjoyed SW:ToR for its amazing story as well as Rift for it’s graphics and new class mechanics I had never been introduced to before. I’m sure I will get a lot of flak from people responding to this and that’s fine as I won’t respond and will just ignore it, but in the end it just seems like the same things we have with WoW but in a different colored package.
    Regardless, if you play FF I hope you enjoy it for a long time. If not, don’t forget there are still other MMOs that might offer you something different that you will enjoy just as much.

As an aside: there are also people, who I won’t mention, that are notorious for going into other forums that spew nothing but hate and misinformation that praise FF, which makes it difficult to take as an honest criticism for how good the game is.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2019-05-08 at 05:13 PM.

I think these are the main 2 things that attracted me to this game to be honest.

1. It being a Final Fantasy game. Huge fan of the series. Only one I'd rank above FF is maybe the Phantasy Star series but of course that doesn't get as much love today outside of the Online game which still hasn't had a Western release. I'd say my top 3 RPG series have to be Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

2. Just being sick of WoW. I love WoW don't get me wrong and it's arguably one of my top 10 games. But when I saw how dedicated the team were towards ARR after 1.0 I just had to jump in. Honestly it just felt a complete culture shock coming over here from WoW where I found a great community and a dev team that cares.

Of course I mean no ill will against WoW and that game will always have a special place in my heart among many. But for me until the dev team start listening well it's taking a back seat for now sadly.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-05-08 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Hmm silver chocobo feathers? They get you what qad once engame gear at 50/60 and likely 70 cone shadowbringers save it for now
    okay then , ty!

- Z

okay then , ty!

- Z
    Yeah Silver can net you 120 Ironworks level 50 and 260 level 60 gear.

Of course you can get them quite easily with Poetics when you start earning those.

Gold if I recall nets you special rewards from RAF. Net enough and you can get a badass dragon mount.

Mind if I ask are you EU or NA? If you EU I can probably world visit your server and give you tips/help out. I'm on the Light Datacenter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Regardless, if you play FF I hope you enjoy it for a long time. If not, don’t forget there are still other MMOs that might offer you something different that you will enjoy just as much.

As an aside: there are also people, who I won’t mention, that are notorious for going into other forums that spew nothing but hate and misinformation that praise FF, which makes it difficult to take as an honest criticism for how good the game is.
    Absolutely agree. There are loads of MMOs out there in the genre for people to enjoy. And there's not just 1 MMO. Least that's how I view it. Hell one better and I'll say there's loads of enjoyable games in every genre!

As for people spewing bile/hate mate let them. Best you can do is move on and not focus on it. You know you enjoy your games and that is what matters most. It happens with every game and it's not game specific sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yeah Silver can net you 120 Ironworks level 50 and 260 level 60 gear.

Of course you can get them quite easily with Poetics when you start earning those.

Gold if I recall nets you special rewards from RAF. Net enough and you can get a badass dragon mount.

Mind if I ask are you EU or NA? If you EU I can probably world visit your server and give you tips/help out. I'm on the Light Datacenter.

- - - Updated - - -
    NA, but ty! I do not understand these terms:
    Ironworks
    Poetics
    RAF (recruit a friend?)

NA, but ty! I do not understand these terms:
    Ironworks
    Poetics
    RAF (recruit a friend?)
    Ironworks is basically a gear set. Also the name of a company.

Poetics is a currency. Akin to Justice in WoW. Basically this has the old currency system like WoW used to.

You have Poetics which is used to buy older stuff, Mendacity which gets you ilvl 360 endgame gear and is uncapped but still has a 2k hard cap (Like Justice) and Genesis which gets you 390 ilvl endgame gear and is capped weekly with a 2k hard cap (like Valor).

And yeah Recruit a Friend.

Sorry dude should have explained it all in my previous post hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Ironworks is basically a gear set. Also the name of a company.

Poetics is a currency. Akin to Justice in WoW. Basically this has the old currency system like WoW used to.

You have Poetics which is used to buy older stuff, Mendacity which gets you ilvl 360 endgame gear and is uncapped but still has a 2k hard cap (Like Justice) and Genesis which gets you 390 ilvl endgame gear and is capped weekly with a 2k hard cap (like Valor).

And yeah Recruit a Friend.

Sorry dude should have explained it all in my previous post hehe.
    All good! I truly appreciate the nonjudgemental explanation. Says a lot actually.

I've sunk a ton of time into it and I can honestly say it's worth the praise etc....

Some things to note are that Heavensward is done by a different team than the original and I'm still getting used to it... but it's still all got the feel of FF14 IMO....

Other than that it's a great franchise and a good installment the only question is do you have the money since it is a subscription based game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    O yeah I finished the Hunting Logs up to my level.

Didn't know about the guildheists, will have to check those out, thanks.

While I didn't get the ring, I do have the earring from the Shadowbringer preorder that helps me for now. I'll fetch the ring once I'll go level the healer. Thanks for that tip aswell.
    Oh np and yeah just have to fully complete it as one class then outsude of wanting the gear you can ignore it. Though tank has an exclusive gearset to it the rest are recolored dungeon gear

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    As an outside source, I haven’t seen anything posted about Final Fantasy that would ever really make me play it. The most I take away from forums is the story is amazing. Other than that, it seems like it has no real endgame other than dungeons/raid style systems, something I already have with WoW that also seems to be designed as a better challenge.
    Sure, I kind of like the appeal of having every class available to one character, but in the end it’s no different than having alts in WoW. It even takes time to level them, so it’s not like accessing a fully fleshed out leveled class is any faster in Final Fantasy vs WoW.
    The profession system seems neat, but again, FF would have to give you access to everything as it would be too much to have that many characters for every profession. That said, I’ve never seen anything explained about the profession system that makes it above WoWs other than faster to collect materials.
    Also, as someone who has watched FF forums out of curiosity, I have never once gotten the impression that people quit WoW and went to FF because it was better, but rather they quit WoW for a reason and went to FF because it was the better of what was left.
    That said, I would never say don’t try it. I’m sure even I would enjoy it if I played it. After all, I enjoyed SW:ToR for its amazing story as well as Rift for it’s graphics and new class mechanics I had never been introduced to before. I’m sure I will get a lot of flak from people responding to this and that’s fine as I won’t respond and will just ignore it, but in the end it just seems like the same things we have with WoW but in a different colored package.

You aren't fully wrong especially in arr(2.x) o apways said it is wrath era wow refined

For a time, I had jumped ship from WoW to FF14. The initial game was fun, different. I kind of liked how the story was told purely to you, the silent protagonist. Fates and trials were a very cool addition, would like to see them implemented in WoW, tbh. I have varying thoughts in regards to how they go about accessing dungeons and raids, as you needed to complete quests, to gain access to dungeons and raids, but most dungeons were unlocked via the MSQ, so not that bad, but still a tad annoying.

Then after I stopped playing for a few months, pre-Heavensward, I wanted to get back into FF14 again as Heavensward was out for a bit of time. Log on, and my character was deleted, which sucked, as there was no communication about it. So I started up a new character, and powered through the MSQs, got up to, and finished the stuff in Heavensward, but found the narrative got boring, and very repetitive. Don't get me wrong, there were still moments I quite enjoyed, but they were few and far between.

Characters were hard to find relatable, or they didn't suite the narrative for the storyline they were involved in. It also has a Japanese-esque tone, which is fine, but I think that's why I wasn't finding the characters relatable. I've played JRPGs before, but never had the experience been so jarring.

I stopped playing again for a while, until after Stormblood was released, playing WoW instead. I decided to give FF14 a try again, continue the journey and such. I didn't even hit the lvl cap at the time, before I was bored with what I was doing in the game, and found it boring to level up an alternative job/class, as it was a grindfest, even with the quests that I didn't do with my main job/class. Not saying that leveling an alt in WoW is less boring, but I prefer Wow's journey over FF14's, when I'm leveling another toon/class/job.

And this is where I stand currently, I had a good run with the game, but I couldn't get into the grindfest of leveling up the alt jobs/classes/whatever they're called now. Dungeons were fun, mostly, liked the comm system they had. Currently, I prefer WoW, but I'm on a break with it currently, not satisfied with the content I'm able to do, and leveling another alt is just not in my mindset now.

If you're bored with WoW, FF14 can be a good alternative, but it depends on your play style and what you're looking for in an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Senphiroth1134 View Post
    I've sunk a ton of time into it and I can honestly say it's worth the praise etc....

Some things to note are that Heavensward is done by a different team than the original and I'm still getting used to it... but it's still all got the feel of FF14 IMO....

Other than that it's a great franchise and a good installment the only question is do you have the money since it is a subscription based game.
    HW is great. Leaps and bounds better than ARR. Im almost done with 3.x and i finished 3.0 Hildebrand. I played wow again for a little bit. leveled my dk to 120 and stopped caring. 10 levels of nothing gained. Meanwhile, im getting story and a new ability every 2 levels in FF14. Finished my lvl 60 brd, smn, sam quest. Sam was basic, BRD was nice, and SMN was cool. 10 levels until Bahamut XD

- - - Updated - - -

Semi off/on-topic question:

Whats the actual best way to gear up in this game (say, from lvl30-35 on up....). When i was playing the trial I really did enjoy it, but I was totally lost when it comes to gearing.

Are there currencies? I think I was given some feather things when I started, but no idea what to do with them...
    Does stuff drop?
    What about professions?
    The only gear I ever managed to get was from quests.....
    As is said, for that level, the vendor stuff is good. Once you hit 50, you can start getting tomestones to trade for ilvl 120 gear, which will take you a couple of levels into HW. Than HW MSQ will start giving you HQ gear for caster and melee, Alternatively.

Honestly, I played wow for a very long time. But I have always been a storyline gamer. Final Fantasy 1 was my first game as a child and I have been on them for 30+ years.

Final Fantasy does many things right. Not everything, but many things.

From a story aspect, if you are the type of player who immerses in the story and truly does enjoy watching it flesh out, you wont mind as much some of the trivial quests that come with fleshing that story out. The story is top notch.

From a raider aspect, it is quite predictable which can get boring. Every even patch is a new 8 man hard content raid. Every odd is a catch up 24 man raid akin to lfr. This can get rather stale as the bosses are very predictable in square or round rooms that every single hit is scripted down to the second.

Which brings up my next issue.

From a gameplay aspect, due to this highly predictable setup, all damage incoming is predictable. You can literally simulate a fight with every heal you need to cast in a perfect scenario and the only reason to deviate is for people being in the wrong place or doing the wrong thing. This leads to a dps meta the likes wow has never seen. A healers job is to heal just enough, and do damage. A tanks job is to do just enough threat and stay out of tank stance as much as possible. When I heal, I wanna be a healer. I want that downtime simply because I earned it. Same goes for tanking, dropping out of tank stance feels dirty to me and while I do what I have to do to not be seen as a drain on the group, the dps meta will always drive me nutters.

From a collectors point of view, this game is great. There is a lot to collect with achievements, minigames, glamour *the true endgame. They really did a good job of baiting the hook that keeps the collector kind of player playing.

Lastly from a crafters point of view. This game, hands down, is the single most though out and well executed crafter game in mmos. Your crafters are classes, they have rotations, and the gear they make is kept relevant when new content is added.

TLDR
    If you are a storyline player, crafter, or someone who likes the idea of a dps meta. This game is worth it. If you just looking for an endgame epeen measuring stick, you wont make it through arr without a jump potion and I kind of feel bad for you.
    Last edited by Binaris; 2019-05-09 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Lastly from a crafters point of view. This game, hands down, is the single most though out and well executed crafter game in mmos. Your crafters are classes, they have rotations, and the gear they make is kept relevant when new content is added.
    I actually like DQ11 version of crafting more, system is similar (fill progress bars with limited resources), but skills are more valuable and there is an option to rework the item with special currency if you didn't get the highest quality (in comparison NQ is a waste of resources). Also FFXIV version suffers from static turn system, you can macro your rotation into one button and then there isn't a single difference from something like WoW except for special gear for crafting.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Leveling crafting in XIV is more fun than pretty much anything in WoW, but for some reason SE seems intent on ruining that experience lately. The sheer amount of stuff to do outside of raiding though makes the game still more fun than WoW IMO, and you can still make crafting/gathering interesting if you want it to be.

15+ Year Old Account
    My feelings on FFXIV remain about the same.

The story is excellent, well beyond anything in WoW. It actually makes you care about characters and evokes real emotion. They also do a great job building up storylines over time, and keeping multiple plot lines running. Everything feels like progression and development, with expansions blending and weaving together pretty seamlessly.

There is a lot of world content, though I would hesitate to say it is superior to WoW's. For the most part, it is similar. FATEs, Leves, and Hunts are basically WQs by another name, though something about their implementation does feel more... organic? The Golden Saucer, Triple Triad, etc. can be compared to Darkmoon Faire and Pet Battles.

Level sync in FFXIV is (IMO) quite inferior to level scaling in WoW for the simple reason that you lose access to your abilities, meaning you have to adjust playstyle and rotation, with your rotation being less interesting the lower level the content you're doing is.

WoW's collection systems are definitely superior. If you are a collector, WoW is the game for you. The glamour system is really clunky compared to WoW's appearance collection, and the game does a much poorer job supporting content soloing (though it is possible). There are way fewer mounts and pets, and no toys, in FFXIV.

In terms of pure gameplay, I think WoW is generally better. FFXIV has longer and more complex rotations, but slower pacing and simpler encounter design. In my experience there is noticeable input delay, and movement is a bit floaty, whereas WoW has very tight movement. FFXIV's attack telegraphing system is also kind of janky in that it doesn't sync with the visual effects and animations; you need to watch the telegraphing arrows and cast bars, not the enemy attack animations.

Character customization and progression in FFXIV is way more straightforward, which could be a plus or minus depending on the player. No talents, no specializations, no real way to modify gameplay on a per-character basis beyond maybe adjusting skill / spell speed through gear. Every Job plays the same across all players. Gearing basically boils down to farming the highest ilvl gear you can get from the content you have access to. IMO endgame in FFXIV is quite boring.

FFXIV does do one thing I really like in its world design that WoW should really learn from, which is keeping the entire world relevant. You always have reasons to go back and revisit old locations, and many of the zones are designed to span multiple level ranges, so that progressing through the game will see you returning to and exploring new areas of old zones. The story really benefits from this, as the relationships you form with other characters become recurring plot points, and can have big payoffs down the line.

Better classes

Better gameplay

Superior graphics

Superior writing

None gated flight

A crafting system that is second to none and leaves WOW for DEAD.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, I’ve never seen anything explained about the profession system that makes it above WoWs other than faster to collect materials.
    Um...take one look at BFA crafting and then look at what happens with FF 14 crafting and say that. HQ gear is superior and you can gear your own toons to an extent and depth WOW hasnt had in a decade..wait...cancel that...WOW crafting is and always has been inferior across the board.