Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play WoW for the game and for the story, but it's not nearly as competently executed as FF14s. FF14 has made me emotional for NPCs that aren't even primary characters.
    FF14 is really the most "Final Fantasy" of any FF they've made since 12 so it scratches that itch for me that FF13 and FF15 can't.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW's story is a train wreck that I'm not even sure the devs agree on this expansion.

At the very least, you can tell there's a consistent story being told in FFXIV. And now they might pull off the hat trick by making the WoD Blizzard could have made.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    FF feels like a real RPG, I like it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I downloaded and started playing last weekend. Haven't put too many hours in, I think my lancer is 24 now and I've done the airship quest as a part of the the MS. Here's my question, does the combat ever get no as clunky and slow? I can tough out the very repetitive questing style. But the clunkiness of the combat system and then mountain of side quests which I'm not sure are even worth doing; are starting to make me not really care much for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    I downloaded and started playing last weekend. Haven't put too many hours in, I think my lancer is 24 now and I've done the airship quest as a part of the the MS. Here's my question, does the combat ever get no as clunky and slow? I can tough out the very repetitive questing style. But the clunkiness of the combat system and then mountain of side quests which I'm not sure are even worth doing; are starting to make me not really care much for the game.
    Oooh ok sooo two things

First side quests are generally suggested to be saved for alt classes.

Generak rule if thumb for first/main class is to do the Main Story Quests(meteor icon) and to do the blue quests as they unlock content be it new classes,beast tribes(daily factions..fully optional), the barber dude, dying and glamoring armor , new dungeons/raids and so on(yes there is more) sticking to those should help oyt and speed things up ALOT.

As for combat speed it DOES get a bit faster and you WILL have more resources to manage and skills to weave in. However it won't be a drastically different CD period(unless you go ninja in which case yay default attack speed increase). My advice is once 50 go into a thing called the palace of the dead and get to floor 50(will NOT take long) with a few classes. It will level them up independently and you can give em a go..floors 50-100 do start you at 50 i believe(been awhile) and it is a semi useful way to test classes.

But yeah just look up above to see commemts on too many skills implying you will usually have something to do.

Also the drg is likely not the fastest class unless you stack skill speed buut mines still 60 so what do i know

The more I read about this game, the less I want to play it.

Yeah. Lancer is boring as hell to play early on. Once you get Blood of the Dragon and other stuff it starts to get better but sadly it is a very boring low level class. Imo anyway. A lot of games low level these days is boring as hell. WoW and this spring immediately to mind.

Most side quests aren't worth doing. The ones with a blue marker on them mean they unlock something however.

But at the end of the day if you don't end up liking the game then that's fine. It's not everyone's cup of tea. If you don't end up enjoying it imo don't force it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-04-04 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    The more I read about this game, the less I want to play it.
    Can you elaborate as to what exactly you're referring to? What specifically have you read that turns you off? What questions do you have that remain unanswered or what answers/ information have you seen that you're confused about or that seems weird to you?

Not trying to convert you, this game isn't for everybody, but I at least want the folks interested in it enough to read about it on forums to be getting all the information they need to make a well informed decision.

3+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Leih View Post
    The story itself is awesome... when things are actually happening. There is a huge amount of time spent on random sidetracks which can get very boring, especially the 50th time you are in the middle of some very exciting sequence of events but then you have to go teleport around all the main capital cities AGAIN and talk to one dude in each city AGAIN and then run a meaningless errand around one of the cities to collect some pointless items again and 10 errand quests later finally get back to the actual exciting story.
    This is very true, especially since the story feels a bit weeabo-ish. Like forced drama and plot twists.

All in all the game is very good. What frustrates me a bit is the fact that the game introduces systems that feel like a chore. For instance the FFXIV equivalent of disenchanting items was introduced later, and when I played it had to be leveled up by first collecting low level items. Or the fact that you havew to use some different kind of crystal for different armor types for FFXIVs transmog.

I like the game but it could be less stubborn and soften up a bit on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Donatello Trumpi View Post
    This is very true, especially since the story feels a bit weeabo-ish. Like forced drama and plot twists.

All in all the game is very good. What frustrates me a bit is the fact that the game introduces systems that feel like a chore. For instance the FFXIV equivalent of disenchanting items was introduced later, and when I played it had to be leveled up by first collecting low level items. Or the fact that you havew to use some different kind of crystal for different armor types for FFXIVs transmog.

I like the game but it could be less stubborn and soften up a bit on this stuff.
    They actually changed that a while back for FF14s transmog.

It's just one universal prism now rather than let's say a Woodworking one for Bows, Armorsmith for plate looking armor and so on.

Desynthesis still works the same though. It is a bit irritating admittedly.

People aren't kidding when they say that the gameplay feels better as you start hitting your major ability milestones (30 -> 50 -> 60 ->70 generally). I was bored to tears of my Paladin, but being a tank I kind of expected that, until I started getting more and more abilities and the whole thing came together. You really do feel it when scaling down dungeons temporarily takes away your abilities to be level appropriate. The advantage is that unlike (new) WoW, you actually begin to feel more powerful as you progress, compared to front loading you with your key abilities and then everything afterwards just being nothing special.

At first I did every side quest I could find, but I remembered I was going to have to level more Jobs in the future from scratch. Once I realised that I skipped most of them unless I needed XP. Now I'm levelling other Jobs I realised it was a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Omg, don't do the side quests

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello Trumpi View Post
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Why you did it?
    Greener pastures. WoW burned me one too many times and FFXIV was new and promising.
    What do you find better or worse?
    For better, I'd say the aesthetic is a huge one. I'm dead tired of WoW's balancing line of appealing to children and retaining a very PG look while trying to discuss subjects like mass slaughters, genocide and war crimes. The game shies away from exposing an inch of skin on a woman yet has no trouble at all displaying decapitation and dismemberment. The entire feel of the game feels incredibly juvenile.
    FFXIV on the other hand approaches all manner of dark and mature topics with fairness and respect. The world is set in a rougher depiction of high fantasy with subjects appropriately mature for its setting. It doesn't dwell on dark topics like war and death in the same way Warcraft does, but it also fairly treats mature topics as mature.

Gameplay as well is a huge part of it. The gameplay of FFXIV can be obtuse at times and button bloat is real but I prefer this kind of design over WoW's so much. Classes are complex and weird, everyone has unique utilities to the point where not having them is a unique class feature in itself. WoW butchered its combat to be almost unrecognizable, but in FFXIV I see the old feel of WoW combat complete with its own style of awkward design quirks like animation locks and weaving.

As for what's worse...a part of me really misses alts with different races, but to make up for this changing races is less than half the price of WoW's. And while classes are much better designed, they're also much less numerous and have no customization to speak of. Each job of FFXIV is only an individual spec in WoW, which kind of shows more clearly the lack of options: 15 vs 36.
    What do you miss of WoW?
    Probably the responsiveness of the game. Jumping carrying momentum, less spaghetti code. It's not FFXIV's fault but the game is designed on an engine that doesn't feel quite as smooth as WoW's. I also really miss WoW's PvP from time to time even though I'm not a huge PvPer.

In short: If you enjoyed...I'd say Wrath-era WoW the most you'll probably love FFXIV. FFXIV on a design and progression structure feels like a time capsule to WotLK, and I love it for that.
    Last edited by Irian; 2019-04-05 at 09:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll keep trudging along with the main questline. Hopefully it'll get a little more engaging for me soon. I've kinda been looking around a bit but couldn't find a good answer, but is there a way to rebind the mouse scroll wheel? Scroll wheel up/down/click +modifiers has been one of my goto binds in WoW forever, kind of annoying not to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll keep trudging along with the main questline. Hopefully it'll get a little more engaging for me soon.
    This is why i quit the first time. The MSQ is awful. It just drags on for an eternity. I was having fun with my Dragoon for the most party but got so tired of the MSQ I quit. I am actually today redownloading and going to try to force myself to get past it, really am not interested in paying for a boost just to skip the content because its boring.

Also, if i was to start working on a second job after completing the MSQ (i don't own the latest expansion), does anyone have a recommendation for one? I feel like the dragoon is fun, but feels trudgingly slow between the long ICD and the skill cds.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

You unlock your dragoon at lv30, from there you get more skills for your rotation. LNC/DRG might have been a bad choice in terms of clunkyness. I’ve heard they have something called “jumps” which leaves them in place and could potentially kill them selves due to “standing in fire”. Not sure how true this is, it’s just that it’s been memed.

ARR quest don’t really pick up till lv35/40. Questing gets really good in heavensward and stormblood.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    This is why i quit the first time. The MSQ is awful. It just drags on for an eternity. I was having fun with my Dragoon for the most party but got so tired of the MSQ I quit. I am actually today redownloading and going to try to force myself to get past it, really am not interested in paying for a boost just to skip the content because its boring.

Also, if i was to start working on a second job after completing the MSQ (i don't own the latest expansion), does anyone have a recommendation for one? I feel like the dragoon is fun, but feels trudgingly slow between the long ICD and the skill cds.
    What level/ part of the MSQ did you get to before you quit?

Most classes, except for Monk and maybe Ninja, feel slow until much later when you have more oGCD abilities and just more buttons to press. By the time you hit 50 on most classes you have a full kit that feels fine.

The story quests in the original game do tend to drag on, but it does pick up in the expansions and they improved their quest design a bit too. Not SO many fetch quests that drag you back and forth and not so many long stretches of story with little to no action.

The game is still a story driven game at heart, but they've taken strides to improve on the overall experience recognizing that people play the game to actually PLAY, not read a shitload of text.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    You unlock your dragoon at lv30, from there you get more skills for your rotation. LNC/DRG might have been a bad choice in terms of clunkyness. I’ve heard they have something called “jumps” which leaves them in place and could potentially kill them selves due to “standing in fire”. Not sure how true this is, it’s just that it’s been memed.

ARR quest don’t really pick up till lv35/40. Questing gets really good in heavensward and stormblood.
    One of the iconic moves of Dragoon in Final Fantasy is their jump attack. Dragoons get 3 of them between 30 and 50 and they are animation locked for their duration, but they're VERY short. Just like any other animation locking ability you just need to be mindful of the mechanics in the fight and not use the jump when you should be moving.

The animation lock used to be really bad, but it was fixed a while ago.

Honestly? It just wasnt for me. I didnt go back to BFA, but FF14 just wasn't for me. Not enough open world pvp, combat was too slow for me, the engine the game is built on felt less responsive at times than SWTOR, and i couldn't get into the story. Most of my knocks are subjective, and i can admit the game is a good game just not for me.

It was a lot better than it was at it's original launch, but still not for me

Plus, not enough 'evil' classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    What level/ part of the MSQ did you get to before you quit?

Most classes, except for Monk and maybe Ninja, feel slow until much later when you have more oGCD abilities and just more buttons to press. By the time you hit 50 on most classes you have a full kit that feels fine.

The story quests in the original game do tend to drag on, but it does pick up in the expansions and they improved their quest design a bit too. Not SO many fetch quests that drag you back and forth and not so many long stretches of story with little to no action.

The game is still a story driven game at heart, but they've taken strides to improve on the overall experience recognizing that people play the game to actually PLAY, not read a shitload of text.
    My Lancer is 34. Where i am at in the MSQ i can not remember, it has been quite a while. My friends that got me into the game kept tell me to play to the expansions and it gets fun, as i love storylines, but man is that a chore. It is made worse by the fact that my friends were all maxed and busy with other things so i played largely on my own.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.