Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    I liked that it had some pieces of armor that looked realistic, though. I'd almost forgotten what armor without comically oversized shoulderpads looked like.
    Or that robe are not a single textured glued to your body. Good thing they let you remove cloak now, those are just nasty lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Are we playing the same FFXIV? I don't see any ways to play DRG other than correct one, which is going through the same 7 combo buttons, that automatically give you all the buffs you need, while also pressing jump, mirage dive and Geirskogul/Nastrond on cooldown.
    But the Dragoon played the only way it can be played (which is not really correct, you can do the wrong combo at the wrong time, not keep up your buffs, etc...) is still more involved than playing BM Hunter wrong OR right. Specs that bare are just not fun to play. With so few buttons to press I'd be surprised anyone could play it "wrong" but if anyone could it's the same kinds of players who'd play the DRG wrong.

It's not a matter of more buttons = better, not entirely anyway because having 3 buttons to push is boring compared to having 10+, but that combat feels more involved when you have more things to do. FFXIV in some cases takes it too far, but WoW went the complete opposite direction and everything feels so bare IMO. Every class I play involves spamming 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 with a 2 thrown in every now and then, hitting 3 when it procs and hitting your cool downs when appropriate. That's boring to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    But the Dragoon played the only way it can be played (which is not really correct, you can do the wrong combo at the wrong time, not keep up your buffs, etc...) is still more involved than playing BM Hunter wrong OR right. Specs that bare are just not fun to play. With so few buttons to press I'd be surprised anyone could play it "wrong" but if anyone could it's the same kinds of players who'd play the DRG wrong.

It's not a matter of more buttons = better, not entirely anyway because having 3 buttons to push is boring compared to having 10+, but that combat feels more involved when you have more things to do. FFXIV in some cases takes it too far, but WoW went the complete opposite direction and everything feels so bare IMO. Every class I play involves spamming 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 with a 2 thrown in every now and then, hitting 3 when it procs and hitting your cool downs when appropriate. That's boring to me.
    The point was more about using the most braindead spec in the game as a comparison of the whole system. Again, I don't know how it's in BfA, but Surv and SP in Legion were much more involved than anything I've played in FFXIV except monk (and even that because I struggle to remember all the fucking positionals and maintain all the buffs).
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

The point was more about using the most braindead spec in the game as a comparison of the whole system. Again, I don't know how it's in BfA, but Surv and SP in Legion were much more involved than anything I've played in FFXIV except monk (and even that because I struggle to remember all the fucking positionals and maintain all the buffs).
    BM Hunter is not as much of an exaggeration as it used to be. BfA heavily pruned or gutted almost every spec. To say every spec plays with ~4 buttons isn't really far off the mark. Obviously it varies, but not by much.

But for me the bigger problem is that classes hardly change at all from level ~40 onward because they get their core abilities so early. The only things changing are some traits that let them use them more often or have them hit harder and talents that add active abilities that may or may not be the optimal choice. But their core rotation and game play don't change much. BfA added nothing new, though they're trying to remedy that with the Heart of Azeroth Essences they JUST added in 8.2, but I have no experience with those. I haven't signed in to WoW in a couple months.

The systems are different, and prioritize different things. I personally enjoy how FFXIV does it over WoW. And can understand how some would like WoW over FFXIV.

Literally 80% of the specs in BFA are 4 button specs, not including cooldowns.

I'm currently level 42 Dragoon in FF14 and my rotation is way more involved and has more buttons than my gutted max lvl SP in WoW.

Like holy hell, FF14 is so much more clunky in terms of input lag and animations, yet it still feels vastly superior to play than the pathetic state WoW is in at the moment. It is actually ridiculous how much better class rotations are in FF14. I literally felt relieved when I checked out some of the class rotations in the game. I actually have to pay attention to what I'm doing to play my class, something that hasn't been a thing in WoW for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    You know Final Fantasy has been a series since 1987, has sold 144 million units across the series and has a much bigger audience than Warcraft right?

Thats like claiming people are drinking Pepsi to spite Crown City Cola.
    I wouldn’t put all your eggs in that basket. I hate FF games, and I am only playing FF14 because all the western choices are meh for end game content. I am loving FF14, but at the same time, I hate all other FF games and I know I am not alone.

Would try it but the graphic is dog shit. Rly, like rly bad. Saw gameplay and could not stand it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The gameplay was good but I quit after a month. It's way too weeb and the community too.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

If you're arguing BFA is better than any other game (even Tetris) you know your brain is already fried from too much island, stop brown nosing Ion's rear people, its not healthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always heard good things about the endgame, but I've never managed to get to it as the leveling is pretty terrible if you're catching up.

I did play at launch, but gave up around level 30 or so. The leveling is super slow, with many long awkward cut scenes. I think I quit as I didn't like the class I chose, can't really remember, was probably a mix of the class and story being super boring.

This time I'm going to try and do the end game for Shadowbringers to see what the fuss is about. I've never played an expansion at launch before, so if getting to 80 doesn't take that long I may do it. The long awkward cut scenes have not improved in the slightest however.

I had to buy a boost for the MSQ, that shit was awful.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2019-07-03 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kappalol View Post
    Would try it but the graphic is dog shit. Rly, like rly bad. Saw gameplay and could not stand it.
    I'm going to assume you mean art style, because the graphics are amazing. The art style doesn't jive with everyone, but saying the graphics in this game are dog shit is just flat out untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    But for me the bigger problem is that classes hardly change at all from level ~40 onward because they get their core abilities so early. The only things changing are some traits that let them use them more often or have them hit harder and talents that add active abilities that may or may not be the optimal choice. But their core rotation and game play don't change much.
    I actually value that your main gameplay loop is mostly complete by level 20 as opposed to FFXIV classes feeling barebones until level 50 and even then lacking pretty important mechanics. But yeah, that's actually up to preferences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nRes View Post
    I'm currently level 42 Dragoon in FF14 and my rotation is way more involved and has more buttons than my gutted max lvl SP in WoW.
    Yeah, 1-4-1-2-3-1-2-3 with Jump on CD and Life Surge before Full Thrust, the epitome of interesting rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

I actually value that your main gameplay loop is mostly complete by level 20 as opposed to FFXIV classes feeling barebones until level 50 and even then lacking pretty important mechanics. But yeah, that's actually up to preferences.
    Yeah it is up to preference, but without changes in game play or at least some new abilities to make you FEEL more powerful it doesn't feel like there's any character growth. It gets a bit boring when grinding through the levels when there's nothing new or interesting to look forward to.

Yeah, 1-4-1-2-3-1-2-3 with Jump on CD and Life Surge before Full Thrust, the epitome of interesting rotation.
    As if, 1-1-1, PROC 2, 1-1-3-1-1...PROC 2, OH! AoE...hit 4 now! is any better

The proc makes it not so scripted, like FFXIV seems, but that's not interesting either.

You're analogy before about being able to macro it in FFXIV also applies to WoW. It wouldn't be optimal in either game to do that as you lose the nuance, but you'd be performing at above average if you could do that in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    You know Final Fantasy has been a series since 1987, has sold 144 million units across the series and has a much bigger audience than Warcraft right?

Thats like claiming people are drinking Pepsi to spite Crown City Cola.
    No one said FF series, i said FFXIV.

Stop pretending the people that play FF on consoles for the last 25 years are in any way all FFXIV players.

I dont know a single FFXIV player IRL (And because of net cafe culture and PC business i know a lot of people that play games) i know a lot of people with a PS that played some sort of FF over the years, hell i am one that played the one with the Lightning girl on PS3 which i bought at a period of weakness, but not one of them probably even knows FFXIV exists, mostly because Greek console players are all completely retarded but thats another discussion.

I even tried to sell FFXIV to 2 friends that asked me what they could play as a new MMO, guys that are half-weeb and play every single shitty asian mmo out there, and even they werent interested (I assume cause its not F2P, cheapskates :P), despite playing every single anime oriented game on consoles/PC for the last 10 years+.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-07-04 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

Stop pretending the people that play FF on consoles for the last 25 years are in any way all FFXIV players.

I dont know a single FFXIV player IRL (And because of net cafe culture and PC business i know a lot of people that play games) i know a lot of people with a PS that played some sort of FF over the years, hell i am one that played the one with the Lightning girl on PS3 which i bought at a period of weakness, but not one of them probably even knows FFXIV exists, mostly because Greek console players are all completely retarded but thats another discussion.

I even tried to sell FFXIV to 2 friends that asked me what they could play as a new MMO, guys that are half-weeb and play every single shitty asian mmo out there, and even they werent interested (I assume cause its not F2P, cheapskates :P), despite playing every single anime oriented game on consoles/PC for the last 10 years+.
    FFXIV is part of the FF series so I don't know what the hell you're on about.

I know a handful of people that play FFXIV IRL and I live in a fairly small town in Texas. Also, if you're saying the XIII is the only other FF game you've played then I'm sorry. You played the worst one out of any of them.

Also, I don't get why people refer to XIV as a weeb game or a game for people that love anime. Sure, there's some of those themes added in to the game because that's the culture that it comes from but the story elements are so much more mature than anything in WoW even. I got tired of going through the same damn story every fucking expansion in WoW. I'm tired of the Alliance vs Horde war that never goes anywhere and the same plot points that play out because Blizzard's story writers have no imagination or ability to tell a coherent story in game.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    What do you think the XIV in the name means?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, they're not wrong, though. Some classes in XIV - Dragoon in particular, since that's the example here - really do suffer from feeling like they're straight out of 2008. Straight up rotation, no resource management, no procs to react to. Just the rotation.

XIV's more recent jobs are actually much more interesting, though. So people have options on how they want to play, at least.
    I'm not disagreeing with that specifically, just saying that the longer rotation of a class like Dragoon, even with all if it's shortcomings is more fun to play than a max 4 button rotation/priority in WoW. That's partly because there are more buttons to push, but I think the combat itself just feels better when your character is doing more than 1-2 attacks all the time.

Completely agree with you on the more current classes.

Dancer specifically turns the entire argument on it's head because of how proc based it is. There is no fixed rotation for it. So yes, people have more (and better) choices now so the WoW vs FFXIV argument this line of discussion was based on isn't really accurate anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, they're not wrong, though. Some classes in XIV - Dragoon in particular, since that's the example here - really do suffer from feeling like they're straight out of 2008. Straight up rotation, no resource management, no procs to react to. Just the rotation.

XIV's more recent jobs are actually much more interesting, though. So people have options on how they want to play, at least.
    PLD is the same way, super strict rigid rotation. It's super freaking boring. If it didn't have the sexiest animations/gfx and had positionals I'd never touch it despite it being my favorite aesthetic.

DRG redeems itself though at later levels despite its rigid rotation.

People actually did this? Damn. That’s like going from eating in a 5 star restaurant to McDonalds.

im just seeing how many people quit at 30 lol.

If my friends didnt push me to get past it, I wouldn't be having as much fun as I am

pre 30 and the pre SB level 50 MSQ I fucking hated

Rest has been fantastic