Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    It has a few technical issues...weird loading hitches at times (I have a 6700k/1080ti/32gb of RAM and an SSD so it's not that). Haven't had any FPS drops but every once in awhile out of the blue I'll get weird loading hitches, usually in areas that are not very resource intensive. Only happens sometimes too (not that common) so no idea, maybe a memory leak or something. A few irritating sound bugs...some minor issues like breakable floors still showing on the map after you break them, quests not tracking properly (not completing when they should, or worse completing when they shouldn't, I have the game thinking I collected a wisp I haven't). There is a map bug that shows an entrance to an area that doesn't exist (making me wonder if they will do a definitive edition of this one, because there is a mine area that is known to have been cut).

None of these problems are THAT serious, and I'm sure they will be corrected in patches soon, but yeah it's making me wish I waited a couple weeks to play it. I'll probably do another playthrough after the bugs are fixed. Obviously playing the Steam version. I also hope this one eventually gets a Switch port a couple years down the line like the first did.
    Hmmm strange... I remember these stuff didn't exist at all in the first Ori game and I played that game on day 1.

Do you think because the second game is bigger and has some online stuff (like the leaderboard speed shrine stuff) and overall the bigger game than the blind forest which is the main reason why it is less cleaner than the first game?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Hmmm strange... I remember these stuff didn't exist at all in the first Ori game and I played that game on day 1.

Do you think because the second game is bigger and has some online stuff (like the leaderboard speed shrine stuff) and overall the bigger game than the blind forest which is the main reason why it is less cleaner than the first game?
    This game is clearly not as polished on release as the first one was. It was also delayed a couple times. I think they got WAY too ambitious this time around for the amount of development time they had. The first game was a smaller team, smaller scale. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure after a couple of patches this game will be amazing but for now it does have some issues. Most of this stuff is first world problems, to be fair, the bugs are more annoying than gamebreaking. This is in FAR better shape even with the bugs than most "AAA" games ever are, even after months of patches.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2020-03-18 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Just did the sandworm part. Holy crap....the combination of music and feeling of danger...and when you finally exexute it perfectly. Man, soooo satisfying!

I really can't express well enough how good the music is. There's always the main chorus to fit the area you're in, but with Ori's theme mixed in different ways to give you that feeling of hope and determination.

God I wish more games would rake a page from Ori. You can really feel the stark difference between this and some supposed "AAA" titles.
    I actually found it quite interesting the key systems (Charm system, Health restoration, ect.) that the second game borrowed from hollow knight (knowingly or not). Not that that's a bad thing I actually like both games quite a bit and I feel Moon did a good job of adding their own spin to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    I actually found it quite interesting the key systems (Charm system, Health restoration, ect.) that the second game borrowed from hollow knight (knowingly or not). Not that that's a bad thing I actually like both games quite a bit and I feel Moon did a good job of adding their own spin to them.
    You can absolutely tell they took inspiration from Hollow Knight. That's not really a bad thing tho. If you're going to improve on a metroidvania, that's the place I'd go too.

But other than game mechanics, I think it's important to point out the key factors that both Ori and HK have in common:

Incredible Music
    Smoothness of gameplay.
    Level design.
    Fantastic artwork.
    Incredible attention to detail.
    Moving story and characters.

In my opinion all of these things are far FAR more important than some half-baked, microtransaction-filled 4k monstrosity that cuts pieces of the game off to sell to you later.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-03-18 at 04:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can absolutely tell they took inspiration from Hollow Knight. That's not really a bad thing tho. If you're going to improve on a metroidvania, that's the place I'd go too.

But other than game mechanics, I think it's important to point out the key factors that both Ori and HK have in common:

Incredible Music
    Smoothness of gameplay.
    Level design.
    Fantastic artwork.

In my opinion all of these things are far FAR more important than some half-baked, microtransaction-filled 4k monstrosity that cuts pieces of the game off to sell to you later.
    Ya as it stands very few companies still manage to hit solid home runs now a days. about the only somewhat consistent AAA company for me at least is nintendo, and they have their own weird habits they go in and out of...

Incredible Music
    Smoothness of gameplay.
    Level design.
    Fantastic artwork.

It's fair to point out that Hollow Knight probably looked at Ori and the blind forest for inspiration too since it was released 2 years after that game.

OatBF became a huge hit largely because of it being a new metroidvania which high production quality and value in a time when there weren't so many games except a few indie games that did get some attention but not much.

Also:
    Just finished the easy run in roughly 2h 50min and it was easy as heck to not die... so got all 4 achivements... Apparently I'm missing one which is hidden. You have to kill Mora (spider) without taking any damage... *sigh* wish I knew that before hand and I would've done a save there to grind it out. And as I suspected in my hard mode the chasing segments are ridiculously easy on...easy. Worm, water, you name it is so far behind you that you can afford multiple mistakes at a part without problems.

I'll get the spider achi in a few days, other than that the game is 100% completed for me.

RE3 remake demo at 18h GMT+1 tonight and Doom Eternal tomorrow, so glad I got this out of the way.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-03-19 at 01:48 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I just bought the 1st 1 on steam sale last week. Not tried it yet but looking forward to it.

Really Fing good game, the art is amazing. Gameplay is top notch, just be sure to get the "Definitive Edition" it has some improvements and fixes, there was a part where you couldn't backtrack so you missed some achievments (which was fixed).

10+ Year Old Account
    So far this is definitely an improvement over the fist game. Lots of influence from Hollow Knight, including the charm socket system. Lots of abilities that gives Ori more combat choices, and you don't mindlessly spam an attack button anymore, at least you don't have to. Now Ori has a light saber and a hammer to smash things with. There's definitely more story that isn't retarded like the first game, though I wouldn't expect anything deep like Hollow Knight. Lots of reused assets from the first game, but that doesn't take away from the game so far. Until I finish the game I can't say where this game stands just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Now Ori has a light saber and a hammer to smash things with.
    Also a bow, a javelin, a fireball, and a shuriken-boomerang thing.

I've been playing around with the shotgun build(multi-shot with the bow). It's fun, but the playstyle is VERY different than smashing things with the sword or hammer.

Heard it had a disappointing ending:/

I don't know, I liked it very much for what it was
    Maybe people expected something else but it could be said about every game endings in existence.
    You'll never please everyone.

I was happy with it and ATM this is my prime candidate for the game of the year

10+ Year Old Account
    Also a bow, a javelin, a fireball, and a shuriken-boomerang thing.

I've been playing around with the shotgun build(multi-shot with the bow). It's fun, but the playstyle is VERY different than smashing things with the sword or hammer.
    Playstyle is different but you do so much more dps. I'm honestly sad at just how much more dps you do. I haven't found a single way to get even close (though I haven't really tried that hard).
    Multishot+faster shooting is just.. Ridiculous
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-03-20 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Heard it had a disappointing ending:/
    Why?

Personally I find the entire story a bit meh because it's very similar to first one... Not sure what was specially bad about the ending. Thought it was a nice closure.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-03-20 at 12:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Why?

Personally I find the entire story a bit meh because it's very similar to first one... Not sure what was special about the ending. Thought it was a nice closure.
    Spoilers for the ending: Some people are sad that Kuro and Gumo are just unceremoniously killed off in a cutscene.. Even if that cutscene is a "they all lived happily ever after" type thing. Some are sad because they didn't think it was foreshadowed at all that Ori would turn into a tree (did they even listen to Kwolok?). Personally I'm a bit upset because it kills off Ori, or at least takes her out of the gameplay role. Granted she's basically a silent protagonist so can easily be replaced with another spirit in an upcoming game if they go that route

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Spoilers for the ending: Some people are sad that Kuro and Gumo are just unceremoniously killed off in a cutscene.. Even if that cutscene is a "they all lived happily ever after" type thing. Some are sad because they didn't think it was foreshadowed at all that Ori would turn into a tree (did they even listen to Kwolok?). Personally I'm a bit upset because it kills off Ori, or at least takes her out of the gameplay role. Granted she's basically a silent protagonist so can easily be replaced with another spirit in an upcoming game if they go that route
    Spoilers for ending and interpretation:Killed off? Pretty sure that the entire story and the light beings is a continuous circle of life.The narrator said "I embraced the light when my name was Ori". Meaning Ori transcended into "god" or rather the "light". Ori itself were born from a falling leaf from a dying(?) tree in the first game and the entire journey is all about being a vessel of the scattered light. I don't see that as Ori being killed off but rather that Ori is a seed. It even ends with a leaf falling which is right in your face "and so the cycle begins a new" which means new Ori or Oris are now created. Probably more than one since the world seems to prosper more this time around, but like with everything it will start to decay eventually.

What made me sad about the story and disappointment is that Kuro and Gumo weren't relevant, all they did was trying to catch up but I don't get the purpose of it. Would be nice if they caught up earlier. Some time around after getting to the village and later they help Moki take care of the bird (forgot her name).
    I'm also very curious about beings turning to stone rather quickly. I understand that trees and dead animals becomes fossils in the silent woods but the Moki father going there and instantaneously becomes stone makes me curious about the "curse".
    Also curious what happened to big boss bird. Did she die? I take it she went to her parents and died in their arms, but it could also just be tending to wounds and don't have energy left to be vengeful...I guess dying makes more sense though.

To me the ending were great and it leaves options to a third game, although I get a sense they rather try something new and might just do some small DLC to flesh out previous mentioned plot points. I tend to like games that ties into the first games. For example I know that people hated MGS5 ending but to me it was so damn perfect, one of the best endings I've come across... so, eh. Maybe I'm an oddity.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Well the end of that cinematic goes exactly this way. It just ends as Ori 1 started.

I personally enjoyed that ending cinematic. Fit perfectly into the narrative and it was satisfying enough. Few tears happened maybe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Spoilers for ending and interpretation:Killed off? Pretty sure that the entire story and the light beings is a continuous circle of life.The narrator said "I embraced the light when my name was Ori". Meaning Ori transcended into "god" or rather the "light". Ori itself were born from a falling leaf from a dying(?) tree in the first game and the entire journey is all about being a vessel of the scattered light. I don't see that as Ori being killed off but rather that Ori is a seed. It even ends with a leaf falling which is right in your face "and so the cycle begins a new" which means new Ori or Oris are now created. Probably more than one since the world seems to prosper more this time around, but like with everything it will start to decay eventually.
    The first part was about Kuro and Gumo, the fat bird and.. Circle.. guy.. I never understood what he was. They came, they saw Ori was a tree, and then just stayed there until they died. Some people were upset at that, even if they literally lived happily ever after.
    As for Ori turning to a tree, we didn't really know she could turn into a spirit tree. We heard in the first game that the ability trees were what happened when spirits died, so we had the idea, but not confirmation.

What made me sad about the story and disappointment is that Kuro and Gumo weren't relevant, all they did was trying to catch up but I don't get the purpose of it. Would be nice if they caught up earlier. Some time around after getting to the village and later they help Moki take care of the bird (forgot her name).
    Yeah, agreed. The subplot with them is pointless, and only really leads to the "oh they found Ori" at the end.. Their story might as well have been told in a single cutscene at the end

I'm also very curious about beings turning to stone rather quickly. I understand that trees and dead animals becomes fossils in the silent woods but the Moki father going there and instantaneously becomes stone makes me curious about the "curse".
    Also Fang, the giant wolf. We leave it alone for like, half an hour or an hour and it's stone. But others, like the weird tree sage thing, who gives you a branch when you talk to him,can stay in the cursed area for a long time. I think the answer is just "don't think about it".

Also curious what happened to big boss bird. Did she die? I take it she went to her parents and died in their arms, but it could also just be tending to wounds and don't have energy left to be vengeful...I guess dying makes more sense though.
    Yeah, probably died in their arms. Not like we saw her in the montage of Ori-tree growing old

To me the ending were great and it leaves options to a third game, although I get a sense they rather try something new and might just do some small DLC to flesh out previous mentioned plot points. I tend to like games that ties into the first games. For example I know that people hated MGS5 ending but to me it was so damn perfect, one of the best endings I've come across... so, eh. Maybe I'm an oddity.
    I mean, they'll need a new character, but as I said, Ori is pretty much just a blank slate. Not too hard to make another spirit.

Thanks for the spoiler tags. I'm still working despite the covid thing, and between The Division 2, POE league I haven't had time to actually finish Will of the Wisps yet.

On a side note, the posts look like a givernment document about aliens with all the redacted stuff blacked out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this a game that I could play without knowing anything about the first game? Does playing the first game make it way better?

I have not played the first game nor do I even know what it's about.