Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Went ahead and splurged on the blind forest for 5 bucks.
    lets see what it's all about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    How'd you beat the wolf on hard? Bit curious, because I just mashed X and died over and over again.

I managed to get to the desert area without dying with no save scumming (Thanks sand worm)

If I'd known save scumming worked I'd have the no death achievement.
    Save scumming is realistically the only way to get the no death achievement. There are a ton of instant deaths, if you had to start the game over every time you died you could play it 8 hours a day for 20 years and still have a very low chance of getting that achievement. Granted the first game was a little bit worse with the instant deaths in this regard.

So I got the sidequest for the combat shrine - am I supposed to fight the wolf? I had visited it beforehand and it's just regular enemies.

Was really looking forward to fighting the wolf again.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    So I got the sidequest for the combat shrine - am I supposed to fight the wolf? I had visited it beforehand and it's just regular enemies.

Spoiler kinda: I'm pretty sure you find the Howl in the Silent Woods.

Finished it today, an absolute masterpiece of a game. Wonderfully beautiful, great story, music was top notch... and genuine pleasure to play. This is the second game I've ever completed at 100%. The first one was the first game.

Just keep those tissues handy.

I have to admit I nearly cried. Three times. I suck at this kind of game but the art is so perfect I couldn't stop for whole day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post

You don't fight the wolf again
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Save scumming is realistically the only way to get the no death achievement. There are a ton of instant deaths, if you had to start the game over every time you died you could play it 8 hours a day for 20 years and still have a very low chance of getting that achievement. Granted the first game was a little bit worse with the instant deaths in this regard.
    Not really, it's pretty easy outside of 1-2 things.
    The only instakills (I can think of) is the water, which you can buy infinite breath for
    the mud, which you just need to not suck at platforming for
    The avalanche, which is pretty easy
    The corrupted water in the last area,
    And the sandworm, which is the only thing that killed me in attempt.

And just, generally sucking at platforming/combat, but those aren't insta kills

On my 2nd go I got ~2 and a half hours into a 3 hour run before dying. I can probably do better after I'm done with my current run

The only instakills (I can think of) is the water, which you can buy infinite breath for
    The darkness level as well, even though I suspect it falls into your "don't suck at platforming" category.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I've got the same 4 hours in, or near enough. Haven't encountered any bugs at all, nor any issues with the bosses. The platforming and combat feels smooth as hell, with better animation and background art than the first game.

Not that my anecdotal evidence means much. But for $30 and this level of experience being offered, I would REALLY recommend against waiting on it unless you're deeply invested in another game at the moment. Minor bugs do not warrant a pass on it until later, IMO.
    I actually have to concur, I've completed the game over the weekend and have not encountered any of the issues or bugs people commonly mention. The combat is smooth the platforming is great. And as much as the "escape" sequences get crapped on for being too shirt or too easy, I'm glad, it was no fun replaying a sequence multiple time only to miss that on jump.

- - - Updated - - -

In the mountain region there is an enemy that literally crashes my game every time I get hit..
    I've also had the background despawn once or twice.
    Granted, there are games that are more buggy out there, but, waiting a week until the bugs get solved will get you a better experience.
    I've heard of both issues on another forum and cannot duplicate that on my PC version.

You don't fight the wolf again
    I thought that was too bad. The other bosses are plenty good, and more than make up for it. But it would have been cool to revisit the wolf(fight or not)instead of it being a piece of terrain due to corruption.

And just, generally sucking at platforming/combat, but those aren't insta kills

On my 2nd go I got ~2 and a half hours into a 3 hour run before dying. I can probably do better after I'm done with my current run
    But that's kind of what I was getting at. Certainly after a week or so of playing, especially if you turned it to easy mode, a no-death run would be possible. But what I was decrying was the run being accomplished mere days after launch. Even the best platform players would need a little bit of time to familiarize themselves with the various mechanics before being able to pull it off. And avoiding one-shot mechanics isn't done on the first try by not sleeping.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought that was too bad. The other bosses are plenty good, and more than make up for it. But it would have been cool to revisit the wolf(fight or not)instead of it being a piece of terrain due to corruption.
    Yeah would've been nice, agreed.

But that's kind of what I was getting at. Certainly after a week or so of playing, especially if you turned it to easy mode, a no-death run would be possible. But what I was decrying was the run being accomplished mere days after launch. Even the best platform players would need a little bit of time to familiarize themselves with the various mechanics before being able to pull it off. And avoiding one-shot mechanics isn't done on the first try by not sleeping.
    That's true. But if you're a bit more vigilant than me you could do it after ~10-14 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    ´
    I've heard of both issues on another forum and cannot duplicate that on my PC version.
    I'm on PC.. Dunno what to tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    The darkness level as well, even though I suspect it falls into your "don't suck at platforming" category.
    Pretty much yeah. It's only really hard if you don't know where the fireflies are going

Just did the sandworm part. Holy crap....the combination of music and feeling of danger...and when you finally exexute it perfectly. Man, soooo satisfying!

I really can't express well enough how good the music is. There's always the main chorus to fit the area you're in, but with Ori's theme mixed in different ways to give you that feeling of hope and determination.

God I wish more games would rake a page from Ori. You can really feel the stark difference between this and some supposed "AAA" titles.

So... what's people highgest dps combos? So far I'm getting into rythm to do heavy -> Spiritstar -> Spin Spiritstar -> heavy which does nice chunk of dmg on big targets such as Kwolok. Havent' explored too much yet though so wondering what you guys have discovered.

Scratch that, doing regular slashes is both safer and more dmg instead of heavy.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-03-17 at 01:37 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    So... what's people highgest dps combos? So far I'm getting into rythm to do heavy -> Spiritstar -> Spin Spiritstar -> heavy which does nice chunk of dmg on big targets such as Kwolok. Havent' explored too much yet though so wondering what you guys have discovered.

Scratch that, doing regular slashes is both safer and more dmg instead of heavy.
    I've just done bow with the 2 shards that buff it, and then all the other dps shards you have. ~100 dps on average I'd say. That's including misses.

I've found that I need to constantly switch which tools I'm using to fit the situation. For example: Until you get past the bear, you can use the hammer and triple jump to get extra height in order to reach many places that would otherwise be inaccessible via double jump alone. Jump -> Double Jump -> Heavy upward swing -> Triple Jump -> Dash.

You can do the same thing for extra horizontal movement with Jump -> Double Jump -> Sword swing 3 times -> Dash -> Triple Jump.

Some enemies are easier to fight with the sword, since it hits immediately, but others need the hammer to stun and knock back. I actually tend not to use any of the ranged abilities unless it's absolutely necessary. Although watching my friend play, he uses the spear VERY often to great effect.

I think it's great that the game lets you customize your playstyle in this way.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-03-17 at 07:53 PM.

I've just done bow with the 2 shards that buff it, and then all the other dps shards you have. ~100 dps on average I'd say. That's including misses.
    Yeah more powerful than I thought.

- - - Updated - - -

I've found that I need to constantly switch which tools I'm using to fit the situation. For example: Until you get past the bear, you can use the hammer and triple jump to get extra height in order to reach many places that would otherwise be inaccessible via double jump alone. Jump -> Double Jump -> Heavy upward swing -> Triple Jump -> Dash.

You can do the same thing for extra horizontal movement with Jump -> Double Jump -> Sword swing 3 times -> Dash -> Triple Jump.

Some enemies are easier to fight with the sword, since it hits immediately, but others need the hammer to stun and knock back. I actually tend not to use any of the ranged abilities unless it's absolutely necessary. Although watching my friend play, he uses the spear VERY often to great effect.

I think it's great that the game lets you customize your playstyle in this way.
    Ah yeah, I bought the heavy swing first on my first playthrough and immediately noticed the heavy upward swing gave you extra height so used that to get lots of extra stuff early. Just read about a glitch in which you can use sentry and immediately do a upward sword swing from ground and you gain insane heights.

And a side note as of why I asked the question about DPS was that I found bosses taking lots of time to kill on hard mode...but I realised that bounty shard even affects bosses as far as I can tell because as soon as I unequipped it they took significantly more damage... or rather more of their health pool got reduced with each hit. 70% more hp... will be some fun challenge run for people. Only bounty shard, no upgrades, no spirit usage, no extra energy or life...

Wonder if I can do the last 4 achievements; no spirit spent, no shards, not dying and under 4 hours. On easy ofc, but think I need to have a map that gives me routes and easy access to life and energy upgrades without spending to much time getting them.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-03-17 at 10:28 PM.

And a side note as of why I asked the question about DPS was that I found bosses taking lots of time to kill on hard mode...but I realised that bounty shard even affects bosses as far as I can tell because as soon as I unequipped it they took significantly more damage... or rather more of their health pool got reduced with each hit. 70% more hp... will be some fun challenge run for people. Only bounty shard, no upgrades, no spirit usage, no extra energy or life...
    Yeah, I definitely switch my abilities for bosses. You can go full damage on a lot of them, since they're more ORIented(hur hur) on mechanical execution. Once you figure out the pattern most of them are very easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if I can do the last 4 achievements; no spirit spent, no shards, not dying and under 4 hours. On easy ofc, but think I need to have a map that gives me routes and easy access to life and energy upgrades without spending to much time getting them.
    No death run will be a matter of practice to avoid the insta-kill states. Probably should do the speed run first, to get really practiced on where everything is.

No death run will be a matter of practice to avoid the insta-kill states. Probably should do the speed run first, to get really practiced on where everything is.
    Most chases are easy and most of the deaths is from taking spike damage which basically two hits you on hard depending on hp pool or one hits you after respawn. It's rarely from falling behind on speed that kills me so on easy spike dmg won't be that lethal since it wasn't on normal imo.

However I do feel some parts of the sand worm are clunky af and noticed weird behaviour on rare occasions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn the game is so epic. It is like they brought back what made Ori and the blind forest amazing and fixed the major flaws of the first game (the lack of epic bosses and the slow start) and add these fixes in the second game!

Finished the game and I can definitely say it is a game of the year material for sure. My only issues that it has some sound affects bugs (I am playing it in pc only so I don't know much and haven't experience any other major bugs).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Damn the game is so epic. It is like they brought back what made Ori and the blind forest amazing and fixed the major flaws of the first game (the lack of epic bosses and the slow start) and add these fixes in the second game!

Finished the game and I can definitely say it is a game of the year material for sure. My only issues that it has some sound affects bugs (I am playing it in pc only so I don't know much and haven't experience any other major bugs).
    It has a few technical issues...weird loading hitches at times (I have a 6700k/1080ti/32gb of RAM and an SSD so it's not that). Haven't had any FPS drops but every once in awhile out of the blue I'll get weird loading hitches, usually in areas that are not very resource intensive. Only happens sometimes too (not that common) so no idea, maybe a memory leak or something. A few irritating sound bugs (sounds not playing or cutting out, weird buzzing noises)...some minor issues like breakable floors still showing on the map after you break them, quests not tracking properly (not completing when they should, or worse completing when they shouldn't, I have the game thinking I collected a wisp I haven't). There is a map bug that shows an entrance to an area that doesn't exist (making me wonder if they will do a definitive edition of this one, because there is a mine area that is known to have been cut).

None of these problems are THAT serious, and I'm sure they will be corrected in patches soon, but yeah it's making me wish I waited a couple weeks to play it. I'll probably do another playthrough after the bugs are fixed. Obviously playing the Steam version. I also hope this one eventually gets a Switch port a couple years down the line like the first did.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2020-03-18 at 12:05 AM.