10+ Year Old Account

Threadripper vs Ryzen 7 1800x

Which do you think would be better for Overwatch? (Yes I am aware Threadripper is a bit much) I have heard Threadripper actually sucks for gaming and I have heard it is amazing, I will also be running.........

GTX 1080 ti 11 gig
    32 gigs of ram
    500 gig SSD for OS
    1 TB SSD for storage
    Liquid Cooling
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Deleted
    Err, what's your monitor and are you purely wishing to game, or game/stream/capture?

What PSU do you have, and when you say liquid cooling do you mean an all-in-one like the Corsair h115i/kraken x62?

Overwatch isn't a very demanding game compared with most modern titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    Err, what's your monitor and are you purely wishing to game, or game/stream/capture?

What PSU do you have, and when you say liquid cooling do you mean an all-in-one like the Corsair h115i/kraken x62?

Overwatch isn't a very demanding game compared with most modern titles.
    I will be running 2 Acer 27" 144hz 1 ms monitors

PSU is 1000W Gold

I will be using the Corsair and Gaming, Streaming and Youtube creation.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Deleted
    The options are really Ryzen or coffeelake i7. You don't have a use case which makes threadripper preferable.

If those panels are 1080p either platform will cap most games, if they are 1440p I'd get coffeelake i7 (when it releases), simply because similar ipc x higher clock x lower threads is better for gaming for the foreseeable future (only a proper Vulkan implementation will prove otherwise).

Platform generally doesn't matter for first person shooters if your GPU is easily able to push the desired framerate, but with a 1080ti at 1440p144hz high/ultra, the GPU cannot easily push this, and the fewer faster cores win out.

Presuming both will be overclocked, the Ryzen to 3.9ghz and the i7 to 4.9ghz, the two will have similar max instructions per second, but whilst we are tied to directx similar ipc/higher clocks will remain preferable for gaming.

See Gamers Nexus reviews for threadripper, their coverage is unbiased, and like many involved in tech, loves to see competition for Intel.