Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Why can't the people of rural America be inspired to make the world a better place? Why can't they build spaceships, space technology, and go to other countries on humanitarian missions?
    Captain Kirk was from rural Iowa, what the fuck else do you want

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pervision_rate

Seems like a pretty good mix of color'd states in there. The 2 biggest are California (blue) and Texas (red). My State has 30k, and we are a blue state, whereas Montana (red) has 6000.

Also, you would need.. a lot.. to alter states to gain/lose reps, a few prisons wont change that.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ration-n771061

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/u...f-prisons.html

Why can't the people of rural America be inspired to make the world a better place? Why can't they build spaceships, space technology, and go to other countries on humanitarian missions?

The people who are being sent to these prisons should be sent to effective anti drug programs and the prison companies should use their money to fund space exploration and humanitarianism in third world countries!
    The farmer who feeds you thought to himself "you know what, fuck corn Ima plow my fields and build a prison."

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? So does your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pervision_rate

Seems like a pretty good mix of color'd states in there. The 2 biggest are California (blue) and Texas (red). My State has 30k, and we are a blue state, whereas Montana (red) has 6000.

Also, you would need.. a lot.. to alter states to gain/lose reps, a few prisons wont change that.
    I think they're talking about gerrymandering within states.

(Made up numbers) Say there's 1 rep per 1mil people. They put a jails holding 100k prisoners in an area that has 449k dems and 451k GOP. That 900k voter base, which would be combined with an area that has 52k dems and 48k GOP and therefore swing dem without the prison, now swings GOP with the prison.

That being said, I think this has more to do with where people want prisons built, than voter manipulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Rural congressmen love that private prison money campaign 'Donation'

They sure as shit do love it here in my state of Arizona!

BTW in that article

One of them is Jessica Jauch, who spent 93 days in the Choctaw County jail in Mississippi on drug charges before seeing a judge. She is suing the state over her criminal case, which was dropped after a police video revealed she was innocent.

That is absolutely fucking disgusting and i hope she wins!

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    These are good points. Prisons definitely create jobs (good paying ones) for the community they are built in.
    Most prison guards at a private prison make less than the burger flippers at McDonalds. It's not exactly a place that goes looking for skilled labor.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Most prison guards at a private prison make less than the burger flippers at McDonalds. It's not exactly a place that goes looking for skilled labor.
    That is not correct. Information found from 7.4 seconds of google research.

However, your point about skilled labor is valid. It does not take a rocket scientist to perform those tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That is not correct. Information found from 7.4 seconds of google research.

However, your point about skilled labor is valid. It does not take a rocket scientist to perform those tasks.
    $9 an hour, according the guy who worked as a private prison guard. For-profit private prisons pay considerably less than government operated facilities, and they're not exactly picky who they get.

From your link: "The salary for correctional officers at private prisons averaged $30,460 with a relatively small number of officers." That's only $14.64. Anyone below the mid-point on that pay scale can make as much running a fry basket.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...igation-bauer/
    Last edited by Z-Man; 2017-09-01 at 12:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yep, Criminal University, where students come to become bitter, anti social, racist, sexist, and generally improve their skills to victimized those they were sent there to begin with to be punished for.
    So it's sort of like Berkeley where students come to become bitter, anti social, fascist, marxist, and generally improve their skills to attack anyone who they disagree with like loyal brownshirts. Wow. Revolutionary idea. Your killin' me Malls.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    $9 an hour, according the guy who worked as a private prison guard. For-profit private prisons pay considerably less than government operated facilities, and they're not exactly picky who they get.

From your link: "The salary for correctional officers at private prisons averaged $30,460 with a relatively small number of officers." That's only $14.64. Anyone below the mid-point on that pay scale can make as much running a fry basket.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...igation-bauer/
    This is a pretty bad skewing of the facts. You're not going to be making $14 an hour at a fast food place in an area where prison guards are making 14 an hour. Comparing apples to apples that 14.64 an hour to 9.89 an hour. So guards are making about 50% more than burger flippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    So it's sort of like Berkeley where students come to become bitter, anti social, fascist, marxist, and generally improve their skills to attack anyone who they disagree with like loyal brownshirts. Wow. Revolutionary idea. Your killin' me Malls.
    Hahaha what the fuck does your imaginary scenario about protest evolve into criminals. Seriously dude Justin Bieber isn't a fucking revolutionary calm down.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis