Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lightbulb Wipefest - timelines, insights, and tips for every pull!

Wipefest

When my guild was preparing for Mythic Krosus, I wanted to plan our strategy before we entered the raid. I put together a spreadsheet that detailed the timings of every ability. Then, I looked at other guilds to see what healing cooldowns they were using at each part of the fight. My guild (and the others that I linked the spreadsheet to) found it really helpful, but it took quite a lot of time to put together.

I find Warcraft Logs really useful, but sometimes I wish that there was a quick way to get a general overview of what happened in a fight. To this end, I developed Wipefest!

Wipefest instantly constructs concise fight summaries for you, based on data from Warcraft Logs. These summaries aim to help you quickly identify what happened in a fight, so that you can adjust your tactics for the next raid.

As well as a timeline, Wipefest provides Insights and Tips for an encounter, which aim to quickly answer common questions about a particular pull.

You can search for a character's parses, a guild's reports, or simply by providing the link to a Warcraft Logs fight or report.

I hope that this can be useful for you and your guild!

Good luck, have fun!

---------------------------------------------

1st September, 2017
    - Initial release

3rd September, 2017
    - More healing cooldowns
    - More utility events
    - Externals (disabled by default)
    - Immunities (enabled by default)
    - Report "uploaded" times adjusted for the user's timezone

10th September, 2017
    - Death details (last 3 hits, time to die, damage taken, healing received)

22nd September, 2017
    - Dropdown/auto-complete widget for selecting realm/region

28th September, 2017
    - Insights and Tips introduced - aim to quickly answer common questions about an encounter
    - Tank cooldown events
    - Players/NPCs/Abilities are coloured appropriately

8th October, 2017
    - Ignore events after X deaths

15th October, 2017
    - Better live logging support
    - "Debuff Removed" events
    - Minor tank cooldowns
    - Personal defensives

21st October, 2017
    - Event configs open sourced with a pull request guide: https://github.com/JoshYaxley/Wipefe...n-i-contribute

29th November, 2017
    - Support for "fight=last" in WCL links
    - "Last Pull" link in report summaries
    - Interrupt events
    - First 7 Antorus bosses configured

---------------------------------------------

Last edited by Yax; 2017-11-29 at 06:14 PM.

Looks awesome--I checked it out and just scratched the surface of it so far. I do like that it makes warcraft logs more concise for analysis purposes!

Thanks. That's exactly my aim. I've kept a link to the Warcraft Logs fights/reports on every page so that people can easily swap over and dig deeper into the fight as needed

Nice work!! gonna give this a try, sounds like just what my guild is looking for.

As someone responsible for the healing CDs in our raid this looks really useful. I'd like to see defensive personal and external CDs added to the timeline.

Good job dude thanks for sharing your work with us

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Nice work!! gonna give this a try, sounds like just what my guild is looking for.
    Thanks - let me know how you find it and if you have any suggestions for me!

Quote Originally Posted by thebdc View Post
    As someone responsible for the healing CDs in our raid this looks really useful. I'd like to see defensive personal and external CDs added to the timeline.
    This is certainly something I'd like to add to it. I just want to make sure that I don't add too much (as then it could get quite cluttered).

Quote Originally Posted by Nayami View Post
    Good job dude thanks for sharing your work with us
    Thanks man, I hope you find it useful

Deleted
    Good job! Right now it's hard to get an overview since it's just a list of events and not a timeline with appropriate time based spacing between the events (like the charts on warcraftlogs). If you one day make a horizontal timeline for important events, I'll sign up

This looks like absolutely amazing and is sure to be a terrific resource. Congratulations mate, I think you're on to something potentially huge here

Thumbs up

I've found some time over the weekend to push some updates based on feedback:

• More healing cooldowns are tracked: Ancestral Guidance, Light's Wrath, Invoke Chi-Ji, Aegis of Light
    • Raidwide cooldowns have been grouped into "Major Cooldowns" and "Minor Cooldowns" - both groups are enabled by default
    • More utility events: Innervate, Reincarnation, Ancestral Protection Totem
    • Externals (disabled by default): Iron Bark, Life Cocoon, Blessing of Sacrifice, Blessing of Protection, Blessing of Spellwarding, Guardian Spirit, Pain Suppression
    • Immunities (enabled by default): Netherwalk, Aspect of the Turtle, Ice Block, Divine Shield, Cloak of Shadows
    • Report "uploaded" times should now be adjusted for the user's timezone

Quote Originally Posted by thebdc View Post
    Included in this update

Quote Originally Posted by andreas1999 View Post
    Good job! Right now it's hard to get an overview since it's just a list of events and not a timeline with appropriate time based spacing between the events (like the charts on warcraftlogs). If you one day make a horizontal timeline for important events, I'll sign up
    This is a very interesting idea. I think I would have to let users enable and disable the "stretching", as it could end up making the summaries quite long, but I can certainly see a lot of advantage in being able to quickly identify clusters of events and to be able to properly follow the passage of time.
    Last edited by Yax; 2017-09-03 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yax View Post
    Included in this update
    Thanks, looking good!

This sounds great! I will look it over when I get home.

On the left hand side with all of the groupings, any chance it can say Bloodlust instead of Heroism for a horde log? My guild loves the idea but is tilted because of this. Personally, it's whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Purely looking at this from a healing perspective.
    1. Is it possible to also create a graph or another timeline to show overall raid health? Maybe integrate it with an option to show when healing CDs are being used?
    I think it would be useful to know what the average health of raid is going into X mechanic or when healing CD's are being use.

2. An option to see when Healing CD's end would be nice too. (obvs be something you can toggle off and on)

3. Maybe an option to show the overkill amount on deaths? That way we can see if it was just a close death from not being topped enough or just stuffing up the mechanic. (idk if that is possible. I am just throwing out ideas -- if its not possible or just dumb, please ignore)

But I only just started using this. its a great idea and I thank you for putting a lot of effort into making something like this. it's simple, easy to understand, you can see what is happening. Excellent job. I will pass it onto my raid group.

Thumbs up Update!

Hi guys! I've just finished pushing a new Wipefest update and thought I'd let you all know about it

Death Details

The biggest feature that's been added is the much requested "Death Details". You can now click on death events to expand a "details" section below them. This details section tells you how long it took the person to die (the time it took for them to go from full health to zero), how much damage they took during this time, and how much healing they took. It also shows you the last three damage events for that player, indicating how much of each hit was overkill or absorbed, as well as the source of each hit (if the source was friendly).

Part of implementing this feature involved allowing any event to have an expandable details section that can display some information and child events - let me know if you have any cool ideas that this enables!

What's next?

I've spent a lot of time on Wipefest, and I've love to spend a lot more time on it. I want to take everyone's feedback and turn them into features. To help with this, I've created a Patreon page where people can get involved with the project, and help me decide what should be implemented and how! Check it out if you want to see what features I've got planned!

If you have a minute, check out Wipefest and let me know what you think! Is it useful? What can be improved? I'm all-ears for feedback!

Feel free to join Wipefest's Discord server where we can talk!

Good luck, have fun!

This looks SUPER good for a quick glance at wtf just happened. I especially like how easy it is to see when healing CDs were used so I can have our healers stop overlapping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    This looks great. Does it work for people fucking up on Maiden though?
    Here's an example wipe from my guild's current progress on Maiden.

Go to the left hand filters menu and enable "Aegwynn's Ward" and "Unstable Soul" (maybe I should set these to be enabled by default...).

We see the first cast of Mass Instability resulted in Xenubis, Seacow, and Petak gaining Unstable Soul. You can then see that they all jumped into the hole (gaining Aegwynn's Ward), so this was fine.

In phase 2, Petak gains Unstable Soul. This means that he soaked an orb of the wrong colour and was on his own (if other people were near him then they would also have gained the debuff). 7 seconds later he gains the Aegwynn's Ward debuff so the raid is fine.

In the next phase 1, Nightshadow gains Unstable Soul on his own, and then Mass Instability is cast and Nyxel, Yazid, and Garrow gain the debuff too. We can see that they jump into the hole shortly after and the raid is fine.

Before the next Mass Instability is cast, Vanyali, Garth, and Petak all gain Unstable Soul. Petak then gets one-shot by the tank hammer. Dying with the debuff causes him to explode and kill the rest of the raid - which you can see by expanding the death events (Unstable Soul (3873701, O: 1184548) from Petak).

I find it quite helpful for looking back on wipes and seeing who seems to be struggling with what and when, and what kind of things we usually wipe to.

Quote Originally Posted by Meliai View Post
    On the left hand side with all of the groupings, any chance it can say Bloodlust instead of Heroism for a horde log? My guild loves the idea but is tilted because of this. Personally, it's whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I knew there would be one I knew as I was coding it! "There's going to be some die-hard horde guy who's not happy with this" Unfortunately, I don't get any faction-specific data back from Warcraft Logs (although I could maybe scan for the use of racial abilities). I could maybe make it default to the name of the first matching event (so could end up being "Time Warp" for example).

Quote Originally Posted by ScrubRouge View Post
    Purely looking at this from a healing perspective.
    1. Is it possible to also create a graph or another timeline to show overall raid health? Maybe integrate it with an option to show when healing CDs are being used?
    I think it would be useful to know what the average health of raid is going into X mechanic or when healing CD's are being use.

2. An option to see when Healing CD's end would be nice too. (obvs be something you can toggle off and on)

3. Maybe an option to show the overkill amount on deaths? That way we can see if it was just a close death from not being topped enough or just stuffing up the mechanic. (idk if that is possible. I am just throwing out ideas -- if its not possible or just dumb, please ignore)

But I only just started using this. its a great idea and I thank you for putting a lot of effort into making something like this. it's simple, easy to understand, you can see what is happening. Excellent job. I will pass it onto my raid group.
    1. This would be really useful, but, unfortunately, it would require asking for a lot more events from Warcraft Logs than is really feasible (I'm trying to not ask for too much from WCL so that I can have a small footprint on their servers).

2. This is something I could do and have thought about (not just healing CDs, but buffs/debuffs and maybe even long casts (like Wailing Souls) as well). How do you think this should look if it was implemented?

3. This is done I posted about this a couple of posts up!

1. This would be really useful, but, unfortunately, it would require asking for a lot more events from Warcraft Logs than is really feasible (I'm trying to not ask for too much from WCL so that I can have a small footprint on their servers).

2. This is something I could do and have thought about (not just healing CDs, but buffs/debuffs and maybe even long casts (like Wailing Souls) as well). How do you think this should look if it was implemented?

3. This is done I posted about this a couple of posts up!
    Thanks for the reply.

#1. Yep fair enough. Thought so, but figured I would throw out some ideas :P

#2. Maybe something like what WCL does for cast timeline. a simple Bar + time to represent the duration of the CD. that way you can turn on all healing CD and see which ones over lap. at least that way you can get a rough idea of when there are too many healing CD's overlapping and causing over healing. The CD's should probs have their own row for their respective bars so you are not looking at 1-5 CD's all overlapping each other. Basically how WCL does it with their Timeline graph when you check casts.
    The idea is to give a simple visual information to know when CD's began and ended to quickly pick out when things are overlapping too much or not enough. rather than just a time stamp of start and end.
    (hope you get what I mean :P )

#3. Ah, maybe I was blind and didnt notice it when I tried the site.

Thanks again, hope the site becomes really popular. I still think its a great idea.

Hi guys! I've just finished pushing a new Wipefest update and thought I'd let you all know about it

Death Details

The biggest feature that's been added is the much requested "Death Details". You can now click on death events to expand a "details" section below them. This details section tells you how long it took the person to die (the time it took for them to go from full health to zero), how much damage they took during this time, and how much healing they took. It also shows you the last three damage events for that player, indicating how much of each hit was overkill or absorbed, as well as the source of each hit (if the source was friendly).

Part of implementing this feature involved allowing any event to have an expandable details section that can display some information and child events - let me know if you have any cool ideas that this enables!

What's next?

I've spent a lot of time on Wipefest, and I've love to spend a lot more time on it. I want to take everyone's feedback and turn them into features. To help with this, I've created a Patreon page where people can get involved with the project, and help me decide what should be implemented and how! Check it out if you want to see what features I've got planned!

If you have a minute, check out Wipefest and let me know what you think! Is it useful? What can be improved? I'm all-ears for feedback!

Feel free to join Wipefest's Discord server where we can talk!

Good luck, have fun!
    Looks good.

Will be using this. Great work!