All Things PVP Quick Q&A

Looking for quick answers for each topic, if I missed anything feel free to tell me and I'll add it.

Don't have to answer all of them if you don't want to. These are in no particular order.

- Tanks in PVP? Yes/No/could work if ...
    - Pace of PVP? Fast/Slow/Moderate
    - Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    - Should a dpser be able to kill a healer 1v1? Yes/No
    - Amount of cc in PVP?
    - Amount of gap closers in PVP?
    - Amount of interrupts in PVP?
    - Mana constraints in PVP?
    - Templates? Yes/No/could work if ...
    - Gearing system in PVP?
    - Class Balance. How important?
    - Low Level PVP?
    - World PVP?
    - Dampening? Yes/No/could work if ...
    - Rating?
    - Comps? (Arena and/or RBG)
    - # of spells? High/Low/Moderate

Here are my answers:

Could work as a support role in a fast paced meta

Moderate to Fast. Blizzard hasn't had much success with slow imo.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    High, the more options players have the better.

If the dpser outplays the healer then yes. If the healer outplays the dpser then no.

- Amount of cc in PVP?
    High, but more focus on non incapacitating effects. MoP had too many.

Moderate. Some classes should bring utility to help their teammates close the gap.

1 raw interrupt per spec

Important for healers.

Works really well for arena/rbg. Not good for randoms however

- Gearing system in PVP?
    Traditional gearing system could work for random bgs & world pvp.

Class balance matters less when there's a high skill ceiling. In legion 3v3, the class balance has to be good because the skill ceiling is low, which makes arena super comp dependent.

- Low Level PVP?
    Heirlooms are a problem (in PVE aswell).

- World PVP?
    Overrated. Could work if there was an entire zone created specifically for it (free for all, no teams, no objectives, just fighting)

Increasing damage instead of reducing healer would work better imo.

- Rating?
    Sitting rating is a problem

Tier 1 comps should be melee/ranged/healer for 3v3.

Moderate. There needs to be more spells that have counterplay and require skill to use effectively.

- Honor talents?
    Seems fine. Relentless & Adaptation though lol.

Tanks in PVP? Yes/No/could work if ...
    Could work if they were focused on defending allies and improving others damage while themselves doing 80% of a normal DPS damage.

Pace of PVP? Fast/Slow/Moderate
    I would go with moderate, you don't want 20 minutes games, but you also don't want someone dying in 3s.

Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    Highest as possible.

Should a dpser be able to kill a healer 1v1? Yes/No
    No.

Amount of cc in PVP?
    High, but focus on few instant ones and some should be dogdeable.

Amount of gap closers in PVP?
    This must be well balanced with damage, the problem is that today classes like DH, Monk and Warrior do a LOT of damage and have a lot of gap closers.

Amount of interrupts in PVP?
    I believe it should be lower than today, but must be balanced with amount healed / CCs.

Mana constraints in PVP?
    Yes please, bring mana burn back!

Templates? Yes/No/could work if ...
    No, I want to focus the gear of my char as I damn well please.

Gearing system in PVP?
    Pandaria was perfect IMO.

Class Balance. How important?
    Very important.

Low Level PVP?
    Would be nice, but I wouldn't put much effort in it.

World PVP?
    Would be nice, but I wouldn't put much effort in it.

Dampening? Yes/No/could work if ...
    No.

Rating?
    Rating system is fine.

Comps? (Arena and/or RBG)
    Comps should be important, they reflect class balance. When you can bring whatever does more damage / has better survivabiltiy and don't worry about debuffs and CCs, you are doing it wrong.

High, I used to have 7x binds during MoP, love those days.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

So, Knolan, you want tanks to do 80% of a DPS' damage, you want DPS to be unable to kill a healer, you don't want dampening and you want less forms of interrupt.

I guess Blizzard really isn't the worst when it comes to what they want to do to their own game!

Anyways, to answer some questions myself:

Honestly, tanks shouldn't have a place in PvP. There's no good way to balance them and they've always either ended up being underpowered and pointless or overpowered and unkillable. They've always ruined the dynamics of RBGs and it's never fun that stuff like Guardian Druids were almost mandatory for flag running. Keep them out of PvP.

PvP should be fast. Engagements should be decided in a matter of minutes with people dying if they make a mistake. The only issue with this is that the game has a rampant amount of CC, which is what originally lead to the game's PvP becoming so fucking slow and stale. If PvP were fast and survivability was nerfed, CC-comps like Rogue Mage Priest would be unstoppable.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    I don't know what you're asking. Are you asking if WoW PvP has a high skill ceiling? If you mean to ask that; then currently it sort of doesn't. It has a visible skill ladder. You can tell which player knows their class and which player has faster reactions, but learning to PvP in WoW is primarily learning to macro all of your abilities (and if you want to get even more meta, it's about learning to macro as many commands to one button as possible) and learning how to move with your mouse. The PvP itself is very low skill ceiling.

Absolutely yes. A Healer should always die if a DPS is attacking them and no one helps them.

- Amount of cc in PVP?
    Far too many at the moment, like there always has been. Diminishing Returns has always needed to be increased across the board. The big problem with WoW PvP is how do you balance stuns? Do you make it so one stun is all a player can be hit by? If so, then trinket would make stuns more or less useless. How many stuns should someone be affected by before it results in dying? Right now the CC dynamic is that when you get polymorphed, you either wait it out or get Kidney Shotted if you trinket early. That's not fun or even sensible, but with the way the game is designed from a base level, there's not much valid alternative.

- Gearing system in PVP?
    Shouldn't exist if you want competitive PvP.

Is absolutely necessary in the current state of the game. Ideally, Dampening and stuff like "The Crowd Chose You" should never be things. They're wonky and unnatural, but the game is so fucked up at the moment that such extreme measures are a requirement.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2017-09-10 at 03:09 PM.

I would love to see tanks in PVP where they are focused on absorbing damage from the team and providing utility. I don't know how to balance this though. Tanks that rely on self-heals would have to be altered for group PVP which would not be fun.

I prefer moderate - dying in 3 globals is not fun, but draw matches are not that fun either. MOP pace was perfect to me.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?

Should be high, whatever that means.

No. If you programmed some bots to do PVE rotations (no CC, max DPS) this is what I would expect:

- Healer vs Healer: Draw
    - DPS vs DPS: Draw
    - Healer+DPS vs DPS: Healer+DPS wins
    - Healer+DPS vs DPS+DPS: Healer+DPS wins

If a healer can heal through raid boss AOE damage, or raid boss burst damage, but can't heal through 2 players doing dps, something is wrong.

- Amount of cc in PVP?

It feels too high. Either make trinket cooldown a lot lower, or make all CC share DR. I prefer shared DR.

Allow caster to cast while moving, then gap closers are fine to me.

When I played a ranged DPS I had two schools of magic that I could be effective with. If one of those got locked, I could still CC, or do damage, or whatever. These days it seems all dps/heals use a single school, so blanket interrupts are devastating. Even with interrupt immunities, you can still be stunned/pushed/gripped. Because of this it feels too high. I would say the number of interrupts themselves is OK, I just wish there were alternatives when I was interrupted.

Sure, only if there are resource-constraints for every class - removing energy/rage/maelstrom

Templates are terrible for non-rated PVP. Seem like a good idea for rated PVP.

- Gearing system in PVP?

Gear grind in MOP was preferred. At least you could progress. Use templates in rated PVP and bring back the gear grind for non-rated.

Balance requires homogenization, which is not that fun. I preferred unique classes/niches/roles.

- Low Level PVP?

Irrelevant

- World PVP?

Bring back Halaa! Ashran was a PVE zone. Wintergrasp/TolBorad was too big. Smaller PVP areas seemed to work great at concentrating WPVP. PVP nodes like Zangarmarsh were too spread out. Having a single PVP focused area in a zone was really fun.

No. Should not be necessary. If there is no winner after X minutes then it's a draw.

- Rating?

Better than it used to be. I would prefer some sort of rating decay if you stop playing during a season.

Currently too low. I prefer more spells/abilities. However this is only possible if Blizzard would stop redesigning every spec on every minor patch. It's impossible for me as a casual PVPer to keep up with what specs have what abilities or what abilities are stock and what are talents, etc.

Deleted
    Could work if they filled a niche supporting role. Support does not mean perma lockdowns or making your team immortal. Rather a mix of the two and maybe with some added benefits of boosting the damage of your team.

Fast, the game is in a generally healthier state when the pace is fast and hectic. The problem right now is that the skill floor is too low and all speccs possess extremely limited options to handle the current pace. Burstier gameplay on both the healing and damage dealing side is healthy. What's needed is to give classes more tools to get their damage or healing output or prevent incoming damage to your team. Positional advantage/knowledge and clever use of your abilities should give you a huge advantage rather than your dps capabilities when tunneling a target.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    The skill ceiling(And floor) is extremely low now compared to past expansions. I'd be fine with a low-moderate floor if these players could be punished easier by more skillfull players. One of the biggest problems right now is how easy it is to get out damage in my opinion, especially for melee classes. This is tied to the above point. Everyone need more tools to distinguish them from other players. Different players playing the same classes should be able to play different playstyles purely based on how they use their abilities and cooldowns.

It depends. A good dps player should be able to kill a bad healer, a good healer should be able to outlive and maybe even kill a worse dps player. For this to be a possibility more abilities need to be added into the game. Otherwise we're stuck in the current clowfest where everything is based around sheet dps/hps and passive mitigations.

- Amount of cc in PVP?
    High amount of CC but more situational CC, especially shorther ones. Just slapping instant CC on top of all melee's that will be chained together is not the way to go. More situational abilities like heavy slows/roots and short duration(1-2 sec) crowd controls. Maybe even options that CC yourself or your own team for major beneficial gains.

There should be alot of them between both sides. I'm fine with high mobility gameplay if you can punish the use of other people's mobility, especially when they use it blindly. Casters are in real trouble here because the majority of the cast can't create any breathingroom. Casters outside of mages are extremely limitied in chasing other players or creating spaces.

It's fine how it is now. If you're getting trained and you're unable to get any space other teams should be able to lock you down. The problem lies in a players inability to get any meaningful distance from the enemy team.

It's good as it is now.

They're needed. Templates should however be adjusted through abilities individually rather than straight changes to baste stats. If a class is problematic, rather than buffing/nerfing a stat by 3-10%. Blizzard needs to look at individual abilities and change them by themselves. If one specific ability causes problems, draging down the rest of your arsenal to nerf your entire performance may cause issues. Templates however should be limited to abilities. The abilitity to configure your own stats based on your gear needs to be reintroduced.
    Let templates dictate the power of abilities and let it normalize your Ilvl in PvP combat. But let the stats on your gear speak for itself.
    Gear also should be more meaningful than it currently is. This could be done by giving PvP gear additional powerups or set bonuses that give a slight edge outside of Ilvl, kinda like legendaries set bonuses but for PvP.

- Gearing system in PVP?
    This gearing system does not work. They should make it a mix between the current and past expansions. You should be able to buy gear and obtain points based on your rating like in the past. People need incentives to play the game. Reintroduce rating requirements for gear and Arena Points from arena. Reintroduce Honor Points to buy offpieces from Battlegrounds. This should award static rewards which increase in Ilvl the higher rating you get.
    The abilitity to Titanforge/roll crazy high Ilvl could be left with the current system, just implement both systems.

Class balance should be a tool to balance the viability of classes, not only their throughput numbers. Balance is really good and close right now but the problem lies in the overwhelming importance of doing high dps/hps to be viable. Every top composition outside of RMP this expansions has been viable soley because they outdps/outpressure their team. When the game is this pruned, raw numbers is the only deciding factor when it comes to balance. This is problematic.

- Low Level PVP?
    It's fine, maybe apply templates here too?

- World PVP?
    The powercreep has gone too far right now and templates need to be introduced in the world when engaged in PvP combat for World PvP to be somewhat meaningful.

It's necessary against people who play turtle playstyles or those who just fish for cooldowns. What should be done is punish these type of playstyles over the long term. Standing close to pillars outside of combat could increase your dampening faster later on into the game as an example.

- Rating?
    Rating decay should be implemented. Also, soloqueues.

Anything should work if your composition and playstyle support eachother. The strength of a melee cleave should be your offensive pressure, but this should also come with the risk of putting you off in a bad position. The strength of a caster cleave should be your control and defensive capabilities, this should come with the weakness of requiring far more coordination. Balancing everything around Recount numbers won't ever work.

Alot more spells need to be introduced, this should be high. There should be a higher depth to dealing damage too, this goes for both PvE and PvP.

- Honor talents?
    Honor Talents should across all rows be used to change your playstyle and how you deal damage/survive it. These are horribly balanced right now. Trinket row should be scrapped or redesigned.
    Last edited by mmocf2417dabe8; 2017-09-12 at 08:41 AM.

Tanks in PVP? Yes/No/could work if ...
    Tanks could work if they were relegated to just being regular DPSers in PvP. A slightly immortal cc bot or just straight up immortal dps bot are just not viable solutions.

Pace of PVP? Fast/Slow/Moderate
    Moderate, way slower than currently but also far faster than when they implemented the -10% damage in PvP in WoD (which was reverted quickly). Overall the length of a game should be determined by how well you're able to land CC chains.

Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    It should obviously be as high as possible without making the specs feel clunky to play. I also think a distinction has to be made: it's not the DPS rotations that should be "high skill" but all the other things like defensives, utility and offensive CDs.

Should a dpser be able to kill a healer 1v1? Yes/No
    Over time yes, but that time is not 20 seconds.

Amount of CC in PVP?
    It should be incredibly high, but there should also be a lot of anti-CC (not in the form of 2x interrupts/spec or things like Calming Water/Casting Circle/Relentless/Adaptation though). Another important distinction is, said CC should be skillful - it shouldn't be Imprison or Enraged Maim level of retardedness. DR categories need to be reverted.

Amount of gap closers in PVP?
    I think mobility overall needs to increase - both for casters (most of them) and some melee. It's not fun to play a Warlock or SP when you can barely move at all, even if other people didn't have much mobility it just makes for very slow and boring gameplay when people (especially casters) are mostly stationary.

Amount of interrupts in PVP?
    All DPS specs should have an interrupt, some healers could definitely have one too (Holy Paladin comes to mind) - but no melee class should have access to ranged interrupts nor should any spec have access to two interrupts. Casters should generally have a second school where they can do something in if they get locked on their main school (some off-heals, or in the case of warlocks something like Searing Pain).

Mana constraints in PVP?
    In the form of specs running oom eventually - yes. Not at the speed Disc Priests currently do, but yes. No Mana Burn, Mana Drain or Viper Sting though - that playstyle was just obnoxious.

Templates? Yes/No/could work if ...
    To be honest, it doesn't work. It had great potential but Blizzard have proved they don't know how to use it in combination with their other tools. Instead of improving/fixing core issues with classes they'd rather just fiddle a bit with the template and make them artificially better without fixing the core issues, which is obviously bad.

Gearing system in PVP?
    WoD gearing was perfect (minus Ashran BiS RNG trinkets). MoP gearing was fine, but given how highly geared PvErs had a massive advantage in wPvP I'd rather have the WoD system.

Class Balance. How important?
    Obviously very important, but fun > balance. It's more important that a spec/class is fun to play compared to it being t1.

Low Level PVP?
    Completely unimportant.

World PVP?
    With the exception of duels, it's mostly unimportant. There doesn't have to be a new Quel'Danas or anything like that - but PvP inside and outside of instanced PvP needs to function the same - can't have things like Rogues blowing people up in 2 GCDs in wPvP.

Dampening? Yes/No/could work if ...
    Sure, it's fine - but if mana were to be a real thing again it'd be rare to see. Also it shouldn't start instantly in 2s as a double DPS comp (as that de-incentivizes playing double DPS comps that rely on healing and CC chains - overall it just doesn't help double DPS comps).

Rating?
    The rating system is not a high priority, but rating really should follow MMR a lot faster than it currently does (more like pre 6.1) - so that your win streaks don't feel useless. Furthermore they should probably move to a system with ranks and divisions (bronze/silver/diamond etc), but it's really not a priority.

Comps? (Arena and/or RBG)
    Comps are very important. Meleecleaves straight up shouldn't work at high rating because they use so little CC chaining - only "me smash damage" (which is the spirit of Legion as a whole). Comps that utilize CC and DR synergies are the comps that should be good. When class/spec stacking and comps with little to no CC/all CC on 1 DR are viable something is wrong.

Much higher obviously. I had 3-4x the amount of binds I have now in MoP, and 2x the binds in WoD compared to now. It shows in gameplay.

Deleted
    Only in RBG/BG, never in arena.

Fast, reaction based. Not yolo bursting 0 cc / wait for dying dotters etc.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    Brain dmging high, as high as possible. I dont want to lose against a demon hunter who sometimes melts my face cuz.

There is no reason to play healer if you die in 1v1 against a dps. They should be "tanky" but still killable if they fuck up something.

- Amount of cc in PVP?
    I played rog for 10 years (max 2.4k), I know i had so many cc's but I still wanted something spammable like poly/cyclone. Rerolled balance in legion, best choice of my wow career.

Warriors have too many Meeles should not have 100% uptime cuz blizz wants to be casual friendly.

1 for every class with 30 sec cd. If you land it, reduce its time.

Same as now.

PvP gear point based. 1 normal pvp item, 1 point, honor gear 0.5 point. Elite gear 1.5 point.

- Gearing system in PVP?
    More rating, higher gear with more PvP points.

no comment.

- Low Level PVP?
    I dont really care.

- World PVP?
    Same as above, but pve players should not blow my head off while backpadding.

As it is now.

- Rating?
    Same as the live system.

There always will be comps.

Sometimes less is more. We dont really need 5 dots for 1 class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    Looking for quick answers for each topic, if I missed anything feel free to tell me and I'll add it.

Don't have to answer all of them if you don't want to. These are in no particular order.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    - Amount of cc in PVP?
    - Gearing system in PVP?
    - Low Level PVP?
    - World PVP?
    - Rating?

Here are my answers:

Should work like in other MMos maybe Blizz steal something from SWTOR in this MMo tankspecc work nearly the same like dd a bit tanky but less damage and a tiny bit more cc

Fast faster PVP slow sucks. Look BC WOTLK in this addon a lot pvp was playing and it was fast as hell like oder MMOs

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    Higher than PVE, Arena should need the most skill because you play against human not bits.

Yes of course otherwise Arena sucks. Everyone should be able to kill a other player. Healer should kill a dd but a dd should also kill healer the better player with more skill should win not the class specc.

- Amount of cc in PVP?
    High, but fair and also fast. Dimishing should be 1 for all spells but this should not be a 10 sec only a 5 or 8 sec full immun.

This is class design. If a class has a lot CC and selfheal and tanky like hell the dont need gapclosers if not they need. Warrior vs rogue. Warrior are okay Rogues have to much. DH vs Feral Dh is okay feral is out of control. If you can close gaps fast as hell and have stunlock or other cc plus cc immunity plus selfheal plus dots plus plus plus its to much

balancing thing if the healer and caster have to cast a lot 1 is enough. If they have a lot instant shit like now everyone needs a silence and kick. Because melees can be stop with slow nova etc. Caster dont.

Important for every class with mana. so things like manaburn from dh are usefull again. or drinking etc.

NO it sucks. Let player self decide more crit more haste etc. Also open pvp would be better than if classes are balanced in the world. maybe they bring templates for pve or they should make content for classes and not classes for the new content. Before MOP everything was fine with pvp and pve than the gap comes.

- Gearing system in PVP?
    Honor and rating. >1500 lfr gear, >1800 normal gear> 2100 hc gear >2200 MYthik gear. Sets trinkets etc.

Most important. See SWTOR again balance classes and specs 1vs1 HEal vs dd dd vs dd tank vs heal tank vs dd and so everthing would be fine if realy all DRs ae one. Sheep fear stun cyclone ......

- Low Level PVP?
    i dont care same shit than low lvl pve

- World PVP?
    Could work realy well if the class balance 1 vs 1 is good and no templates are needed in arena

dont need if the game style is fast and the balance is their. if you can kill and heal a player in under 5 sec no dampening needed. Otherwise yes they are needed in 3s and also 2s. 3s a heal debuff works good but a bit faster pls. And in 2s bring a damage buff if you go 2 dds vs 1 dd 1 heal for the double dd or a healdebuff for dd plus heal. Because healers are to strong in 2s

- Rating?
    Sitting rating is a problem

Every comp should work 2 healer 1 dd, 2 melees, 2 range, 1 melee 1 range 1 healer . Maybe 3 dds should work. But bring back arena balance pls if the class balance work comps arent important bring the player not the class should be the rule in pvp. And rbg hm i never played high rbg because i dont like BGs since classic i play world pvp and than arena. Bgs were only a must have in classic for gear

high to moderate but everything should be usefull and not only a spell for nothing. dont bring 10 hits if the rota works with 4.
    Than bring 4 hits and 6 utilitys minor heals gapcloser and so on.

- Honor talents?
    Seems fine but for some classes their is no choice only 1 real way to go that should be a bit reworked.
    Last edited by mmoc4c7c183171; 2017-09-12 at 01:04 PM.

Yes, everywhere. The defenses should be scaled much lower than they are now. Tanks should be more or less DPS whose utility is defense. Some specs can stun / fear, tanks can take some damage, that kind of thing.

Fast. I should be able to kill you in 5 seconds if you are staying still. That's 4 GCDs counting the opening salvo. You have to react or die.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    Obviously high. But there should be some specs which are friendly to newbies in that they get to be competitive with just three buttons - and to 80% of the absolute top with the same three buttons plus great positioning / strategic thinking.

Yes. He should have to spend like 5x the time, but he should be able to kill it. Unless a healer manages to mind walk jump him somewhere and heals to full plus piles up his own damage.

- Amount of cc in PVP?
    Not big. As I said, fights have to be fast. Without a healer, a fight should be over in 6-8 seconds tops. A single CC without a counter should be a very big step towards a win. Two successful CCs should equal a win. There is thus no need to have many CC skills - a single CC like stun with one-two semi-CCs like slow is the top of it, and some specs should have less (and compensate in other ways, ie, by making their CC almost sure to hit via stealth).

See above. Not a lot. Fights have to be fast.

No. This just doesn't work. Nobody wants 10-minute fights, they are an abomination that are only here because of ancient history. Some above said that viper sting is a no-no, it is exactly the reverse - we can let mana play a role but ONLY through mechanics that disable it for some time like viper sting (and viper sting should be very powerful, it should leave you mana for cheap spells only for 5-6 seconds).

Templates are dev's business. Nobody cares how specifically they balance. Templates won't make their lives easier, but it's up to them.

- Gearing system in PVP?
    Honor gear which you can get in 6x1 hour of BGs and then conquest which you get in 8 week caps. The season should last 4 months. There is just no need to reinvent the wheel, it was working superbly, and the gear provided incentives that don't harm anything.

Very important. Less important than accessibility / rewards, but accessibility / rewards is something you just solve once and for all, and it's balance that you then keep working on for years. That and new features.

- Low Level PVP?
    Not important.

- World PVP?
    A dead end in the current state. They need to have a revolution in their network code for this to work and they are unlikely to have it. Not worth doing anything in this area before that.

No need to have it. Fights have to be quick. An arena should take 2 minutes.

- Rating?
    Yes, everything rated. No unrated PVP at all. Rating should NOT bring rewards in terms of gear or pets or mounts. It should ONLY bring a couple of achievements and at most some bonuses in terms of, if you are 1700, you get 170 PVP coins per week which you can spend on PVP mounts / transmog / whatever, and if you are 2500, you get 250 PVP coins per week.

There should be many more comps than now with many more tricks. Three DD - fine. Two healer + one DD - fine. Three tanks - fine. Everything.

Moderate. There should be 5-6 regular spells and like 10 situational spells. There should be more emphasis on talents and items (ie, do I wear trinket X for this proc or trinket Y for that proc or maybe Z for that passive bonus).

If you are from Blizzard, good luck. You will need it.
    Last edited by rda; 2017-09-12 at 01:56 PM.

- Tanks in PVP? could work as support specs, if they become part of the meta as 'defenders' aka helping people stay alive healing would have to be nerfed severly

- Pace of PVP? moderate to fast, slow is obviously boring but very fast can quickly turn into button mashing leaving little room for strategy

- Skill Ceiling in PVP? high obviously

- Should a dpser be able to kill a healer 1v1? absolutely, demigod specs/roles have no place in modern mmos, it should boil down to skill and who outplays whom, having healer win by default is ridiculous, of course killing the said healer should take quite a bit of time, therefore his teamates will have more than enough time to assist him

- Amount of cc in PVP? variable, some specs should be heavy others low on cc, all should be viable depending on your strategy, however i think that CC should generally be short in duration, imo 5 sec stuns and 8 sec disorients is a bit too high

- Amount of gap closers in PVP? again should greatly vary from many to barely any depending on spec (much like we have now)

- Amount of interrupts in PVP? i think we're ok as of now

- Mana constraints in PVP? for some specs why not? it shouldn't be a generic caster constraint though

- Templates? probably better than the alternatives

- Gearing system in PVP? can't say i like the current one

- Class Balance. How important? extremely, it sucks to have to chose between playing the spec you like and winning

- Low Level PVP? sorry for the bluntness but twinking is for losers

- World PVP? why not? as long as it's not in it's current state

- Dampening? imo healing should be less relevant and therefore dampening could be toned down

- Rating? obviously

- Comps? what about them? the more (viable) the merrier

- # of spells? High

Quote Originally Posted by Deadandlivin View Post
    Could work if they filled a niche supporting role. Support does not mean perma lockdowns or making your team immortal. Rather a mix of the two and maybe with some added benefits of boosting the damage of your team.

Fast, the game is in a generally healthier state when the pace is fast and hectic. The problem right now is that the skill floor is too low and all speccs possess extremely limited options to handle the current pace. Burstier gameplay on both the healing and damage dealing side is healthy. What's needed is to give classes more tools to get their damage or healing output or prevent incoming damage to your team. Positional advantage/knowledge and clever use of your abilities should give you a huge advantage rather than your dps capabilities when tunneling a target.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    The skill ceiling(And floor) is extremely low now compared to past expansions. I'd be fine with a low-moderate floor if these players could be punished easier by more skillfull players. One of the biggest problems right now is how easy it is to get out damage in my opinion, especially for melee classes. This is tied to the above point. Everyone need more tools to distinguish them from other players. Different players playing the same classes should be able to play different playstyles purely based on how they use their abilities and cooldowns.

It depends. A good dps player should be able to kill a bad healer, a good healer should be able to outlive and maybe even kill a worse dps player. For this to be a possibility more abilities need to be added into the game. Otherwise we're stuck in the current clowfest where everything is based around sheet dps/hps and passive mitigations.

- Amount of cc in PVP?
    High amount of CC but more situational CC, especially shorther ones. Just slapping instant CC on top of all melee's that will be chained together is not the way to go. More situational abilities like heavy slows/roots and short duration(1-2 sec) crowd controls. Maybe even options that CC yourself or your own team for major beneficial gains.

There should be alot of them between both sides. I'm fine with high mobility gameplay if you can punish the use of other people's mobility, especially when they use it blindly. Casters are in real trouble here because the majority of the cast can't create any breathingroom. Casters outside of mages are extremely limitied in chasing other players or creating spaces.

It's fine how it is now. If you're getting trained and you're unable to get any space other teams should be able to lock you down. The problem lies in a players inability to get any meaningful distance from the enemy team.

It's good as it is now.

They're needed. Templates should however be adjusted through abilities individually rather than straight changes to baste stats. If a class is problematic, rather than buffing/nerfing a stat by 3-10%. Blizzard needs to look at individual abilities and change them by themselves. If one specific ability causes problems, draging down the rest of your arsenal to nerf your entire performance may cause issues. Templates however should be limited to abilities. The abilitity to configure your own stats based on your gear needs to be reintroduced.
    Let templates dictate the power of abilities and let it normalize your Ilvl in PvP combat. But let the stats on your gear speak for itself.
    Gear also should be more meaningful than it currently is. This could be done by giving PvP gear additional powerups or set bonuses that give a slight edge outside of Ilvl, kinda like legendaries set bonuses but for PvP.

- Gearing system in PVP?
    This gearing system does not work. They should make it a mix between the current and past expansions. You should be able to buy gear and obtain points based on your rating like in the past. People need incentives to play the game. Reintroduce rating requirements for gear and Arena Points from arena. Reintroduce Honor Points to buy offpieces from Battlegrounds. This should award static rewards which increase in Ilvl the higher rating you get.
    The abilitity to Titanforge/roll crazy high Ilvl could be left with the current system, just implement both systems.

Class balance should be a tool to balance the viability of classes, not only their throughput numbers. Balance is really good and close right now but the problem lies in the overwhelming importance of doing high dps/hps to be viable. Every top composition outside of RMP this expansions has been viable soley because they outdps/outpressure their team. When the game is this pruned, raw numbers is the only deciding factor when it comes to balance. This is problematic.

- Low Level PVP?
    It's fine, maybe apply templates here too?

- World PVP?
    The powercreep has gone too far right now and templates need to be introduced in the world when engaged in PvP combat for World PvP to be somewhat meaningful.

It's necessary against people who play turtle playstyles or those who just fish for cooldowns. What should be done is punish these type of playstyles over the long term. Standing close to pillars outside of combat could increase your dampening faster later on into the game as an example.

- Rating?
    Rating decay should be implemented. Also, soloqueues.

Anything should work if your composition and playstyle support eachother. The strength of a melee cleave should be your offensive pressure, but this should also come with the risk of putting you off in a bad position. The strength of a caster cleave should be your control and defensive capabilities, this should come with the weakness of requiring far more coordination. Balancing everything around Recount numbers won't ever work.

Alot more spells need to be introduced, this should be high. There should be a higher depth to dealing damage too, this goes for both PvE and PvP.

- Honor talents?
    Honor Talents should across all rows be used to change your playstyle and how you deal damage/survive it. These are horribly balanced right now. Trinket row should be scrapped or redesigned.
    I agree with more of what you said than anyone else so far. Here are some things I'd like to suggest:

I agree that fast pace is fun, however it becomes very unfun when players get globaled without being able to react in time. This was somewhat of a problem in MoP and probably Wrath to my understanding. Do you think that the addition of high haste and spells that deal small amounts of damage at a high frequency would fix this problem?

ex. Arcane Missiles depletes 50% of your health in 3 seconds, ticks 10 times
    vs
    Arcane Missiles depletes 50% of your health in 3 seconds, ticks 3 times (more likely to instagib someone)

I somewhat agree with your answer on this, but I'll add that regardless of whether more abilities are needed or not a faster paced meta would also improve a dpsers change to kill a healer and vice versa. This is because the burst windows would be so much more threatening while the other player is sitting a cc.

You mention that ranged classes other than mage can't really deal with the mobility that melee has. While this is true I don't think the answer is to give every ranged a lot of mobility. Imo the goal shouldn't be to give the other ranged classes ample mobility, but instead give them other ways to deal with the damage by utilizing the strengths of their class/spec. So for example warlocks could use their good survivability to deal with the incoming damage. Shamans and hunters could use their utility to deal with it, etc.

But the most important thing with all of this stuff is that it needs to require skill and counterplay to make for a good pvp experience. Right now warlocks get their "tankiness" for free, either passively or by just pressing a button; there really isn't much in the way of skill or counterplay to prevent this from happening. The same goes for most spells in the game for pretty much every class.

If ranged classes could utilize their strengths in a skillful way to overcome the mobility & consistent damage of melee, that would make for a better pvp experience imo. This way class diversity would be preserved, where as giving every ranged class high mobility makes things very homogenized.

Deleted
    Yes, tanks should be used for defending bases and flag carrying in bgs. Could have some area protection skills that reduce damage to team.

Fast, but it should depend on how many abilities we have. I liked pace of the game during WoD prepatch and pre cata expansions. Burst should be higher even without cooldowns.

High. When pace of the game is slower, you need more abilities, so classes don’t just spam same 3 abilities for 10 minutes.

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    Should be high enough with large amount of abilities. Too big reliance on cooldowns and one main nuke decreases skill ceiling.

Depends what you want to balance the game around. Probably required for 3v3 balancing to prevent healer training tactics. If game was balanced for bgs/1v1, I think dps should be able to kill healers. Don’t think healers would be useless as they say, since Mercy is used in overwatch and it can be killed in 1v1. Classes with good control like frost mages/rogues should be used to defend healers and having personal rating for battlegrounds should promote team play.

- Amount of cc in PVP?
    Too high at the moment. Think they should try to put cooldown to spammable cc. There should be less stuns and slows.

There is too many gab closers at the moment. I think mobility causes issues in flag carrier bgs in this expansion, because it’s too easy to set up bunkers to defend flag, which is why there is increased dmg over time to flag carrier. High mobility casters should have around equal mobility to high mobility melees, and so on. Permanent passive movement bonuses speed should be nerfed and classes with them shouldn’t have any slows.

Melee needs to have advantage in melee range compared to caster, so they are good mechanic. There is a lot of them and they are fine at the moment, but gab closers should be balanced better. Casters should be able to create space to cast spells. Tankish casters should have some spells that are uninterruptable.

Think they should bring mana back. At the moment only progression in fights where there are healers, is what cooldowns have been used. It would remove the need for dampening and reduce duration of team fights and make defending bases more difficult. Casters should be able to burn mana for more damage. Instant casts should have bigger mana cost to prevent kiting only using instants.

Could work if they were active in every pvp content. Should be used to change how spells behave instead of buffing agility etc.

- Gearing system in PVP?
    Honor and conquest system similar to cata/mop/wod.

Important. Class mechanics like gab closers are more important than how much damage each class does.

- Low Level PVP?
    Too low paced atm. Ability unlocks should be used to balance it.

- World PVP?
    Requires templates.

Should be removed.

- Rating?
    Rewards should be cosmetics. Same gear for all pvpers.

I don’t think it needs to be locked to certain set up.

- Honor talents?
    Removed. Keep prestige system for rewarding playing pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    No tanks in PvP

- Skill Ceiling in PVP?
    High but not absurd. You shouldn't have to be korean in order to reach peak performance. It should take 2 months to get a good grip on your class and 6+ months to master it.

If the DPS kicks the correct spell at the perfect time, chains his CC perfectly, bursts at the perfect time, and has mastered his class then yes.

One kick per dps, melee have melee kicks and ranged have ranged kicks. No pet kicks.

Terrible. Removes customization, fucks over world PvP, and makes time played=/= character strength. Remove it.

- Gearing system in PVP?
    Currency system. Honor for nonrated PvP, conquest for rated. No more first win of the day conquest in casual PvP. No forced rated BG to get the last 400 conquest points for the week. PvP gear itself should scale up to mythic gear ilvl in PvP situations. Elite gear should have slightly higher stats, approximately 10 ilvls higher.

Far less important than class design. If classes are designed well, good players could counterplay the fotm

- Low Level PVP?
    Just for fun, a break from the dungeon grind. Should be a viable way to level. Remove templates from it, it's really boring in legion.

- World PVP?
    If templates are removed and PvP gear goes back to being how it was in WoD it would be fun. I enjoyed it.

-Honor talents?
    Bullshit. Give back pruned abilities from talent and honor talent trees. Make actually interesting talents instead of passives or pruned abilities. First and second row are complete garbage.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2017-09-21 at 07:39 PM.